• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks a heap to everyone for the help.

We will probably get a flight to Haneda.

Bus being a cheaper option from haneda to hakuba is good to know.

I would rather get on a shinkansen to Nagano. But wouldn’t be returning to Tokyo for at least 15-20 days. Is it possible to get a return ticket when the return date is that far apart? Also how much would that cost?

The Shinjuku to Hakuba direct train isn't a shinkansen - it's a limited express called the "Super Azusa". I have been to Hakuba tens of times from Tokyo (so naturally I feel like an expert on this subject...) and I've only used it once.

Why?

Well, as I recall there are about 3 such trains per day, they are at inconvenient times, they are much slower than a shinkansen to Nagano (+ bus) and the price is a lot more than a highway bus from Shinjuku which hardly takes much more time anyway.

I really wouldn't bother unless you are paranoid about making a change en route - which you shouldn't be.

It's a shame because if they could speed it up it would be great to have a fast direct train to Hakuba from western Tokyo (I live near Shinjuku, so it'd be ideal for me.)

I did hear once that when they built the Nagano shinkansen for the '98 Olympics, they had a plan to extend it on to Hakuba. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, for the sake of the environment) they didn't. But maybe it was just late night bar stories in the North Alps...

SdS

deeppowslash,

Firstly, thanks for your thanks - plenty of people post questions and then never bother to appreciate the advice they get.

It's no problem at all to buy advance return tickets in Japan. As a general rule, pricing is simple here and a return costs twice the price of a single. It's easy and quick to buy tickets, so my advice would be not to buy your return in advance. Simply get it on the day of travel as you are unlikely to suffer any disadvantage by doing so.

The Nagano shinkansen is notable for 2 things - it has ski / board racks at the end of the carriages, and (as a vanity project for the Olympics) it is almost always under-used. I have never had an issue getting a seat on it in either direction.

Finally...don't forget to look out for Mt Asama above Karuizawa on route. If you are lucky, you'll see some smoke coming out of the volcano.

SdS

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki

The Nagano shinkansen is notable for 2 things - it has ski / board racks at the end of the carriages, and (as a vanity project for the Olympics) it is almost always under-used. I have never had an issue getting a seat on it in either direction.
SdS

I was thinking with your previous comment about an extension to the shink from Nagano to Hakuba - why they wouldn't do something that could potentially create LOTS more convenience in accessing the area, and therefore potentially lots more tourist dollars... and then I read above.

If the existing facility is underutilized I suppose the government would find it hard to justify further expansion - even if it did suit us wink

The thing is MB, the government wouldn't need to justify it. They just need a large kickback (bribe) from a construction company and I'm sure the project would go ahead. Millions of dollars (probably billions) have been wasted on completely useless, unjustifiable construction and it won't stop anytime soon!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
The thing is MB, the government wouldn't need to justify it. They just need a large kickback (bribe) from a construction company and I'm sure the project would go ahead. Millions of dollars (probably billions) have been wasted on completely useless, unjustifiable construction and it won't stop anytime soon!

dunno BM, this new government seems intent to buck that trend, only time will tell tho

The sinking suspicion will surely be with us all.

They do seem intent on proving people wrong - to the extent of perhaps even going too far and causing a ton of fuss in some communities (see Yanba Dam). That transport minister dude is on tv every day. Wonder if he knew what he was getting into!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Great! Let's start lobbying some construction company's then.. wink

Tell them to make it stop right next to the gondola, not 25 mins away. And maybe build everything underground to not disturb existing roads and buildings. And if possible get it ready for the 2009-10 season.
Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Great! Let's start lobbying some construction company's then.. wink

Tell them to make it stop right next to the gondola, not 25 mins away. And maybe build everything underground to not disturb existing roads and buildings. And if possible get it ready for the 2009-10 season.
thumbsup

It makes great sense, just that a train company perhaps isn't the best company to run a ski field. Not that I'm saying GALA isn't well run, its typical of the large Japanese corporations with ther fingers in a diverse amount of pies! smile

Very true. but hey, transport and general construction is the backbone of modern japanese economy at home, remember?

If JR had not been privatized it wouldn't have developed ski resorts, restaurants or growing hydroponic lettuce .

Take Sharp for example - it was a mechanical lead pencil manufacturer. Not exactly a company to get into high tech stuff. Can say that about Nokia and some other companies, too.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Yuzawa got a Shink stop right next to the Gondola station?

You've just made me want to visit Yuzawa a lot more.

thats only GALA Yuzawa that has its own Shink stop. For the other Yuzawa resorts such as Kagura and Naeba you have to get off at Echigo Yuzawa then catch a bus. Think the bus is about 20-30 mins to kagura
  • 8 months later...
you could fly Sapporo to Matusmoto then get a train from Matsumoto to Hakuba. Fast train 1 hour, normal 1hr 45mins+/-.

Don't know if there's a Matsumoto airport to station shuttle. Taxi would cost around 5000 yen. There is a normal bus (450 yen) but you might be waiting around for it. Regular train from Matsumoto is about 1000 yen, double for the fast one.

The flight might cost around 20,000 yen but it depends a lot on how far ahead and which days you book it. All in all it should be quicker than going to Tokyo but no idea if it's cheaper.

Resurrecting and old thread here.
Anyone got the down low on Matsumoto Airport as it is currently?

I was considering flying M to Chitose instead of getting the Shink back to Tokyo then changing trains and heading to either Haneda or Narita to fly up to Chitose. Seemed like a logical time saver. But a quick GooGle has told me there is one small airline operating with just 3 planes and the website is in Japanese (wah...I can't read it).