Hello all,

Unfortunately I won't be able to get off work before the 26th of march, so I was wondering if it was still worthwhile to think about skiing in japan from 26th of march-26th of april?

Thank you for your help (and my apologies if this in the wrong section of the forum).

Maybe he is scared of avalanche.. who isn't

Big snowfall in Feb, March in the Alps.

Italy is south facing so mid April it gets slushy in low places.

I say Switzerland, too. Ma'bear it's not that far away by air, and there's cheap carriers and the Swiss transport system makes it quicker I reckon.

Originally Posted By: StefanVP
Hi guys.

Of course France is a lot closer but it's after spending three weeks in japan about 1 month ago that has wet my apetite. And I want to go back, if i can ski it would just be a major plus smile

You won't get the powder paradise that we are all used to. You'll get spring conditions and some rain. Good luck.
Originally Posted By: thursday
You won't get the powder paradise that we are all used to. You'll get spring conditions and some rain. Good luck.

I have been in Niseko around that time a few years back - was great. But buses stopped running, some restaurants and bars had closed. Was supremely quiet! Defo spring skiing, but plenty of snow, and still had fresh falls a few days.

If you are after the deep deep stuff you may well be disappointed though.

Definitely doable, although you will find some of the runs shutting down by end March. Last year Furano was still (very barely) skiable top to bottom on May 6!!

Depending on melt the resorts may close their bottom runs by that time of the year.

Every season I've been here (Niseko) there's still been a great cover at the end of March. Quality can vary greatly though. I remember one March where we had 40cm on the last day and others where it was definitely very springlike. As Mantas suggests you might get lucky and get powder. It doesn't really matter though, spring skiing on a great base with sunny weather and amazing views is pretty damned good too.

in Hokkaido...

depends on what you want to ski-- Asahidake/ Kitataisetsu (an old ski hill in the middle of nowhere with one seater lifts.. cheap, and awesome if you jump off-piste (skiers right)) for some potential powder- Kurodake if you dig hiking--

other than that furano is still in full(ish) swing that time of year.

Originally Posted By: StefanVP
Hello all,

Unfortunately I won't be able to get off work before the 26th of march, so I was wondering if it was still worthwhile to think about skiing in japan from 26th of march-26th of april?

Thank you for your help (and my apologies if this in the wrong section of the forum).

Last year I did Mar 29-30 in Naeba / Kagura .... great snow cover + a lot of fresh snow. Door to Door from Tokyo is less than 1.5 hour What a superb convenience place! If you landed in Narita in the morning I guess you can be on slope before noon smile