How important is it to you? When I younger, I spent so long trying to get badge test and ski qualifiation. I became bored with skiing at one stage.

Now I just try to enjoy it.

Ski for yourself and not for a badge. If you want a badge then do it but make sure its what you enjoy doing. I love to push my freeriding and mountain knowledge. Snow sporrts are something that you have to do for yourself.

Id improve my technique if it was going to help me ski better or do what I wanted but not just for the sake of it and not spending hrs and hrs practicing it when I could be up to my waist in powder

Personally, I like having good technique because it makes everything else easier and more fun \:D whether you're carving it up on the groomed trails or getting face shots in the powder (definately the most fun \:\) ). Let your skiing speak for itself!!!! Ahhh, makes me sad to think its pretty much over for ski season... \:\(

For snowboarding, basic technique - bending low at your knees, and weight placement are critical, but can be learned after you have the general idea of how to ride.

Thinking about technique will help you ride switch, ride the halfpipe, ride powder better, perform tricks easier etc. but technique for the sake of technique has little place in snowboarding,

style on the other hand. . .