• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Very very tempted to live there ...
Where is the launch site for the paragliders?

Top of the gondola on Happo, Goryu and Tsugaike.

This coming weekend is the Happo-one Paragliding Japan Cup.

Hope the weather is fine!
Originally Posted By: big-will
Nice. Not the brilliant colours yet then? When do they appear?
Keep the pics coming!

I was up there yesterday, just past the Gondola (out of sight in the pic) the colors have begun to change.

Bring your cross country road training gear as well. There are a lot of cross country trails in Hakuba also. Iwatake which is the resort on the right side of the pic has a good set up. The lower runs of Happo One are on the left side of the pic. Fattwins playground is in the middle back

TJ%20OZ_19.jpg

Still green in the photos, but clear skies like those are a sure sign of autumn. Its generally hazy in summer.

Apparently the top of Tsugaike is at peak now or just past. The top of Happo should be pretty good too.

Here's a nice spot that should hit peak in the next week or so. Maybe a bit faster than normal if it stays as cold as it is right now. Gets well busy on the weekend though.

Kamaike (+general Amakazari area)

http://www.kogen-h.com/report/2008/10/post-35.html

Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
And for some fresh stuff

does anyone ski that?

yes, people start hiking that around now. Judging from reports you could get pow runs for prolly 800-1000 meters of vert.

Bring your cross country road training gear as well. There are a lot of cross country trails in Hakuba also. Iwatake which is the resort on the right side of the pic has a good set up. The lower runs of Happo One are on the left side of the pic. Fattwins playground is in the middle back

TJ%20OZ_19.jpg

TJ, FT and I, along with the huge Nagoya crew, were hitting that up along with Minekata and Aoni a few weeks ago. Great weather and the trails were mint.

3947107189_cf4ed85d30_b.jpg [/img]
3947089655_1acd9741ff_b.jpg
3947051447_c06e926b4f_b.jpg

Many people ski everything in Hakuba. Last season the yari bowl was skied for 800 vertical meters of powder in October.

Fattwins and Toque did a mission 4 years ago hitting many of the lines up there and then writing TRs. Basically most of everything has been skied and hit multiple times per season. Here are some pics of yari and karamatsu.

toque_272.jpg

toque_280.jpg

toque_205.jpg

Here is a shot from Happo Pond today. Absolutely sensational area. Awesome views. It is a much easier hike in the warmer months. It started to really chill this afternoon up there. Would have been very close to zero. Lucky I took some warm clothes. It is just a beautiful area to take a gourmet hamper and a bottle of Champas. Not as much snow as everybody is wanting here but hey, this is the Hakuba in Autumn thread.

TJ%20OZ_22.jpg

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: tripler
And for some fresh stuff

does anyone ski that?

yes, people start hiking that around now. Judging from reports you could get pow runs for prolly 800-1000 meters of vert.

I'm tempted to pop up and try it when my gear arrives in the post. Do people hike from the bottom of the north face route or get the gondola? Any avalanche risk?