Patrick Swayzes movies!

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Patrick Swayze, the hunky actor who danced his way into moviegoers' hearts with "Dirty Dancing" and then broke them with "Ghost," died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 57.

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said a statement released Monday evening by his publicist, Annett Wolf. Swayze died in Los Angeles, Wolf said, but declined to give further details.

Wow, 57. Remeber him in Ghost. Good movie.

As cruel as this sounds - so what?

In reports up to his death - his lifestyle was shockingly bad - smoking and boozing. Dunno about you but even if I had a slim chance of survival, would be doing my damndest to make sure I would survive.

But kudos for him for doing what most famous people do and promoting awareness of the disease in the media. Shame he didn't heed his own advice.

As he said himself he was just another person fighting cancer.

When you face death, lets see how you handle it. Easy to criticise him for turning to booze etc.

He made a few decent movies and probably had a great life. 57 is early to die, but its still not a bad innings. RIP.

The first film I ever saw in Japan was Ghost. It was about two weeks after arriving. I tagged along with two other English teachers I shared a flat with. After it finished, there were literally about a hundred Japanese women bawling their eyes out in the cinema lobby. I couldn't get over it. I thought the film was completely shite.

Last time I checked this was an open forum for people to post their views and OPINIONS. If you don't agree with someone's then so be it-talk about it through informed discussion, which is what I used - informed sources from the recent few years of his life.

This guy had millions in the bank, time and support from people to help him, and he himself admitted that his chain smoking may have been a huge factor in him getting pancreatic cancer, which has been proven by medical research it does. And yet when he was going through treatment, he was still puffing away and drinking, like nothing had changed. That wasn't a reaction from finding out he was dying because he said on numerous occasions he wasn't going to "kick it".

Like George Best who again didn't heed doctor's advice and carried on, no sympathy here, except for the kids who lost their father.

Blimey. I recommend you take a chill pill and sit down for a short while there Rob.

Love it when this comment comes up on Forums

Quote:
Last time I checked this was an open forum for people to post their views and OPINIONS.

It's a winner! wink

In the spirit of open views and opinions I too could barely care less. I'm not someone into idol worship and considering on average a little over 150,000 people die daily around the world one more means little one way or other to me. The fact I've seen him in a movie or two does little to make me feel anymore for the man.

Oh deary this always seems to happen with a thread like this doesnt it. I should have known better. I was simply making a light comment, thats all, and remembering that I used to really like some of his movies, not worshiping him or anything deeper than that.

I wasn't having a go at you personally rach.

I must say though I have always found it very interesting in people's need to publicly display sorrow, like when Princess Di or Michael Jackson died. The way millions of people who have never met the person who died feel such a truly personal connection truly amazes me.

The Diana/MJ stuff is just way crazy if you ask me too. Like I said I was simply remembering some old movies he did that meant a lot to me when I was a teenager. That really is all!

I've noticed too on another ski forum I frequent someone will report a person has died skiing somewhere and there will be pages of people replying how terrible it is and RIP, etc (few , if any of them know the person personally). Again there is this need to sort of pull together as a community and commiserate. I personally have never felt this need and struggle to understand other peoples need to do so. Maybe I'm just a cold hearted bastard biggrin

I dont feel this strong need either.

Just conversation! You know, like hey its really hot today.

Stop over-analyzing!!

I liked Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

Hey, anyone else like those movies?

For me, no need to show emotion or commiseration etc, however I think it is appropriate at least to show respect and not criticise someone on the day of their death.

Put another way:

Positive comment = OK, if it is sincere

Neutral comment = OK

Negative comment = a little inappropriate / disrespectful, but I am not going to wet my pants or write a poem to my mum about it.

Just my opinion, not held with any great venom or emotion.