Can some of the kind fellows on this fine site tell me how far Otari is from Niseko in terms of a car ride in normal conditions.

I will probably be staying there for a few days in February and would like to know.

Thank you

Elvis

Are you asking about Otari which is down near Nagano or Otaru? If its Otaru then it took us about 50 min on the train (if I remember correctly) from Kutchen this year. Great train trip through snow covered country side and along the coast, interestingly the were a few groups of keen surfers out on the days that we caught the train. Now's that's dedication for you in the middle of winter

There was a group of hardcore snowboarders staying in the same hotel we were at in Otaru and they were boarding the local resort (the one that can be seen to the right hand side of the city, looking from the coast. Talking to them they regarded the area pretty highly and proclaimed that they would not be going back to Niseko after finding this area and another ski area close by, sorry cant remember any of the names. Evidently there was heaps of un-tracked snow and absolutely no people, not that Niseko is that busy. I did notice that of the four days we were there it snowed constantly and probably some of the longest continual heaviest snow periods I have ever experience in my three trips to Japan.

I spoke to these boys every morning and each day they had bigger and better stories to tell.

We always use Otaru for a day trip if the conditions are terrible for skiing or on a rest day.

There's nothing like getting off the (warm) train and walking out of the station to see the ocean at the end of the main street and get hit by a freezing wind. We have a great day walking around seeing, touching and sampling everything - head over to Wing Bay grab dinner somewhere and then head home.

I drove over there last trip in some pretty heavy snow and still found it an easy drive, about an hour and a half with stops. Not overly exciting but a good day trip, we skied a few runs at one of the small resorts you can see from town, can't remember their name.

Stopped at the Black Whisky Brewery onm the way, nice place but really rough Whisky, even in coke its rough. Very cheap and it would want to be.

The canals area is nice and some great food in the old wareouses there as well.