OK so does everyone here do online checkin for their flights?

And are you like me waiting for the minute the thing opens to try and bag the best seats? I have this picture in my head of all the gaijin rushing to get those bulkhead seats, but in reality it always seems to be some dainty Japanese person next to me. So perhaps not.

friend

I generally book in at the Airport because of my FF Status, this often leads to upgrades or better seating. I was upgraded at Christmas from economy to Premium Economy when I few to the US wiith the family, they certainly enjoyed the additional comfort.

ausi ski bum - I have been upgraded after checking in online, I don't think that makes any difference.

I try to do the check in as soon as possible to the opening time though not always possible. They always seem to give me by default the worst seats in the plane.

I couldn't do without it now.

The anxious feeling of turning up and finding out you are slap bang in the middle of a gang of schoolkids in the middle of the plane. It's just too much to handle.

I would rather get the best I can, where I want, than take any risk on the small chance of being upgraded.... if indeed that is the case.

we are travelling with kids so its better to check in at the desk and hope they give you the kiddy seats at the front. you normally cant book those online.

I checked in online for last weeks flights - previously the online check in thing wasnt working for me - not sure why.

We got AWESOME seats on the flight Perth to Canberra (first row of economy - so the leg room was unbelievable) for the first 3 seats anyway - also had the row behind, and one seat across the aisle (trouble with flying with a group of 7).

We wasted the legroom on the kids though - wish I was a more selfish mother - I would have stuck the kids in the seats behind - but as it is I am a martre and gave the kids to roomy seats!!

One the way home I volunteered to be the lone duck out of the 7, and got sat next to Mr Big who was 25 and despite being pi$$ed as a f@rt upon boarding proceeded to drink another 5 bottles of those airline skuttlebutt bottled reds enroute. Was charming. I especially enjoyed the way his right leg squished under the arm rest and alongside my leg to keep it warm ALL flight long doh

I have already chosen my seat on my Feb flight from Oz to Narita, though being Jetstar there will be no gaurentees they honour it and of course the flight times will probably change 3 or 4 times

Though to be fair I did get my selected seat last year booked 4 months in advance.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I choose the seat at the time of booking the ticket.

Why? 'cos I can.

OK so I'll take the bait.
Is that for business class?
Do you pay for it? (Why?)

I always do the online thing.

The worst I have experienced is this big guy next to me deciding to take his shoes off. Cue very very pungent smelly feet smell. Like I had at uni but worse (and thats bad). He did not seem to notice, quite how I do not know.

Originally Posted By: griller
The worst I have experienced is this big guy next to me deciding to take his shoes off. Cue very very pungent smelly feet smell. Like I had at uni but worse (and thats bad). He did not seem to notice, quite how I do not know.

lol bad.

Leaving Shanghai, the security check required shoes to be removed. This group of Africans took their shoes off, the security guards held their noses and ran 10 feet and were in stiches. We were laughing too from a distance.
I hate that. Those who spill over their seats should be made to pay for an extra seat.

True.
Or at least pay for the larger seat in business!

He was big all over, so I spent most of the flight leaning slightly toward the aisle - I didnt notice I had done that until I got home and my back was sore. It was also a much longer flight than normal as we had to divert to Adelaide to refuel due to very unusually strong headwinds.

The seat was actually my littlest son's (9 years old) - but as usually I couldnt do it. Putting the kids next to the huge drunk marginally post adolescent is just not the done thing.

When I have tried before, even right on the dot it opens, the choice is very limited. Moving from one crap seat to another isn't much good so I have waited for checkin in the hope they might give me some good news. They hardly ever do.

if you book on JAL website you can book when buying the ticket. ut choice is limited, i think a lot of the better seats are reserved for passengers buying less discounted tix.

I hate that. Those who spill over their seats should be made to pay for an extra seat.

This is one the airlines could address very easily, there are several places on a plane where there is not enough room for a full row of seats such as at the back where the window seats go from three to two and the centre ones from four to three, in these areas an extra wide economy seat could be fitted and resereved for larger guests. Most would be happy to pay a few dollars more. It is not fair that a larger girth person be expected to pay double while a very tall person pays just a few dollars more for extra leg room.

I am not so small but do fit comfortably in an economy seat but I sat next to this huge person (never did work out if it was male or female) on a flight from LA to NYC, they spent the entire flight leaning forward on the seat in front as they could not fit into their chair, the most uncomfortable flight I ever took. They should have been afforded the dignity of a wider seat option, not everyone can afford to upgrade.

Oh and why are the planes heavily booked when you get online fast, international connections are allocated their seats well in advance of local purchasers. JAL would rather sell a ticket from Sydney to Sapporo via Tokyo than a Tokyo to Sapporo ticket and not have room for the international connection.
Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
This is one the airlines could address very easily, there are several places on a plane where there is not enough room for a full row of seats such as at the back where the window seats go from three to two and the centre ones from four to three, in these areas an extra wide economy seat could be fitted and resereved for larger guests. Most would be happy to pay a few dollars more. It is not fair that a larger girth person be expected to pay double while a very tall person pays just a few dollars more for extra leg room.

I am not so small but do fit comfortably in an economy seat but I sat next to this huge person (never did work out if it was male or female) on a flight from LA to NYC, they spent the entire flight leaning forward on the seat in front as they could not fit into their chair, the most uncomfortable flight I ever took. They should have been afforded the dignity of a wider seat option, not everyone can afford to upgrade.

Pretty good idea. And if there are no tubbies on the flight requiring the wider seat it could be made available to Mothers with babies on thier laps, or someone nursing an injury, or as a special bonus for the person who initially had to sit next to the stinky guy....