which area is better for snowboarding on early January 2010 ?

If I plan to japan for snowboarding,which area will have better snow condition on January?

Shiga Kogen (ALL AREAS),

Hakuba or

Naeba

I hope to have deeper snow.....haha

January is peak season so you sure should be good at all those places.

In a general comment I'd put the snow conditions in the order you have written them there, bunlong, but should be great at them all.

Hi, sorry to hijack but I have a similar question to bunlong.

We're thinking of planning a trip for late December i.e. 25th, and we're tossing up between Shiga Kogen and Hakuba.

Would conditions be just as good during this time?

Many thanks.

Christmas is not quite as guaranteed.

To get an idea of how it has been the last number of seasons, check the archives of the daily report pages on this site - lots of info in there.

Shiga Kogen Now

Hakuba Now

friend

Originally Posted By: muikabochi

To get an idea of how it has been the last number of seasons, check the archives of the daily report pages on this site - lots of info in there.

Shiga Kogen Now

Hakuba Now

friend

Thanks ,muikabochi,good references..........
Originally Posted By: bunlong

Shiga Kogen Now

Hakuba Now

friend

Thanks ,muikabochi,good references..........

Thanks too! Those links are very helpful! I may have to consider changing our plans...

A general comment about snow on Honshu at Christmas dance

Christmas will be really touch and go. We have friends coming to visit then and said we can't guarantee any snow but they can't come any other time. I've had some New Years without any snow at all and other years been boarding in the middle of November. Also take note that three days either side of Jan. 1 is pretty much super-peak so make your bookings early.

Originally Posted By: Myoko Guy
Christmas will be really touch and go. We have friends coming to visit then and said we can't guarantee any snow but they can't come any other time. I've had some New Years without any snow at all and other years been boarding in the middle of November. Also take note that three days either side of Jan. 1 is pretty much super-peak so make your bookings early.

Thanks for the tip Myoko Guy! I've been looking for places to stay and am pretty keen to book early. However someone in our group has suggested we wait until October to book as the domestic packages are released at that time and a friend in Tokyo can book for us. Although it may be cheaper, its a bit risky in my opinion considering the time we want to go will be busy.

Are there any other areas where snow is guaranteed during Christmas time? We also have a Niseko trip organised from Jan 5.
Originally Posted By: Myoko Guy

Thanks myoko,do u have any recommendation of hotel ?like ski in ski out,onsen and Japanese restaurant ...

I don't stay in local hotels so it's hard to make any recommendations. You don't get a lot of ski-in, ski-out type places in Myoko as they tend to be at the bottom of the hill. Suginohara has a few places

If money is no object try the Akakura Kanko Hotel. Alpenblick in Ikenotaira has a really great onsen and you can just walk out to the lifts. Not much to do around there though.

Don't forget to try: http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/myoko-niigata-accommodation.html

Possibly worth noting that Myoko is not part of Shiga Kogen, Hakuba or Naeba as you asked for.

Personally I'd avoid Christmas and New Year. More expensive and busier.

..depends on your frame of reference doesnt it?

The fact that I often do Aussie Ski area's in the School Holidays says that I KNOW queues. Even New Year in Japan aint gonna upset your average Aussie snow lover.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I dont wait. No mates on a powder day. And I certainly dont wait for those lined up either evilgrin

that is so true...."no mates on a powder day".....

Gotta love those single lines. Then, more often than not, when I get to the front of the queue nobody wants to ride the chair with me.

There are some not so busy places at NY but the lodging prices can still cause your wallet to say 'ouch'. veryshocked

Shiga Kogen Now

Hakuba Now

friend

HI, muikabochi.Is it all area of Shiga Kogen also for snowboarder?