Bank charge ripoffs - only Japan?

The ATMs are a bit of an earner. Get yourself some member banks into a cartel network. The host bank ATM charges a fee to the member bank if a member bank customer withdraws from their ATM and vice versa for all the other banks in the cartel.

Those with the most ATMs will earn the most fees. Thankfully for us, this is not passed onto the customer.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Didn't know that them trying to introduce them.
Link is the way you can use your card at other banks ATMs right?

yeah, like I said though it was stopped. They aren't allowed to charge for that. BUT you do get charged when you use a convienience ATM, in a pub or grocery shop for example, if its not a Bank's ATM

Banks charge ATM fees for ALL transactions, at any time of day or night.

If you use an ATM that does not "belong" to your own bank (ie if you use a Cononwealth machine to withdraw from a Westpac account) you'll be slugged for "foreign" ATM use.

If you use one of your own bank's ATMs, they ONLY slug you for the "standard" ATM Fee.

I prefer to get "cash-out" when I do an EFTPOS transaction, that way the bank thinks you are buying something that's higher value than the item you bought (ie buy a 20 buck thing, get 50 cash-out and the bank sees a transaction for 70) and they don't charge fees at all!

Really?

Never paid for been on a cc!

I actually use cash a lot if I order something it is often chakubarai. I like the money going asap so I don't have to revisit the feeling a month or so later!

Originally Posted By: thursday
I get loadsa free flight tickets from using my cc. Good returns at no extra cost. I always settle in full.

Have to agree with that..
Muika, using COD you end up paying more and get nothing back (thats if U pay off before % kicks in)

if prices were the same, cash or credit card, then the CC is making you money just through the cost of funds.

You have a 30-odd day preiod before your bill comes. So you have enjoyed your purchase before you have even paid for it.

But merchants don't like CC cos they have to pay the fees to Visa. Hence a nice little cash incentive goes down well.

Miuka, I really couldn't understand where you were getting at with losing $$, so I went back and it appears that I have mis read your post (below)

"OK so tell me - if I save, say, 5000 yen on buying something COD than I would anywhere else offering the same product paying by cc, how do I end up paying more?"

In my skim reading I totally missed the word SAVE!

duh doh

Thats ok friend

I bought a lens for 89,000 yen, including cod and postage.

The cheapest I could find by cc was just under 94,000 yen.

Yesterday I saw the exact same lens in a shop for 125,000 yen!

Also yesterday I saw a lens for 220,000 yen that I can buy for 150,000 yen online. I wonder if any idiots actually buy things like that in shops like that anymore. And if they do - WHY?! Can't think of a logical reason to.

Because of this I no longer use Japanese banks unless absolutely neccesary. I have one Japanese bank that I use for business, no choice otherwise I use shinsei bank, I can withdraw money out 24hrs day 365 days a year from any seven 11 conbini and don't get charged any fee at all, no matter what the time of day or night is.

And as there are seven 11's all over the place I am never stuck for money!

Good thing is also Shinsei cashpoints don't have to sleep at night or have a holiday unlike many other banks!

Maybe for those in Japan you might want to consider this bank, so far I have been very happy with it. Another great plus is that you can withdraw money from cashpoints all over the world with the shinsei card. Of course you get charged fees like any other, but it is so handy not needing to bring travellers cheques or loads of cards with you.