Niseko is the second snowiest resort on the globe, with 8% water quantity

Found that quoted on the official Hanazono site linked to from here (on SJ).

I presume that is true - the 8% bit - but I would be interested to know which is the snowiest if Niseko is the second?

Here you go

Originally Posted By: thursday
Forbes Traveler online lists the 20 snowiest ski resorts in the world.

full story in Forbes Traveler

"This story highlights the top 20 snowiest resorts on the planet, as tracked by Bestsnow, which pulls meteorological records from weather stations, data from avalanche-forecasting centers and monthly snowfall amounts from ski resorts. Bestsnow's numbers?which are used by publications like Skiing magazine and Powder magazine to rank resorts?differ from average snowfall numbers touted by some resorts. This is because, among other factors, Bestsnow looks at monthly averages spread over time periods of up to 40 years."

The List:

Resort Location Avg. Snowfall (in./year)

1. Mt. Baker Ski Area Washington 641

2. Niseko resorts Japan 595

3. Alta Ski Area Utah 523

4. Alyeska Resort Alaska 513

5. Kirkwood Mountain Resort California 473

6. Stevens Pass Washington 471

7. Sugar Bowl California 464

8. Grand Targhee Resort Wyoming 463

9. Snowbird Ski Resort Utah 461

10. Mt. Hood Meadows Resort Oregon 430

11. Whistler Blackcomb Resort British Columbia 407

12. Powder Mountain Utah 400

13. Solitude Utah 399

14. Whitewater Resort British Colombia 397

15. Boreal Mountain Resort California 395

16. Crystal Mountain Washington 390

17. Mt. Washington British Colombia 383

18. Brighton Resort Utah 381

19. Wolf Creek Colorado 379

20. Fernie Alpine Resort British Colombia 369

Not a single European reort made it.

This has done the rounds before.

How Niseko made it to #2 is interesting. There are certainly other areas of Japan that get more snow albeit generally at much higher altitudes. Also Niseko does not actually have a proper snow recording station on the mountain so the figure is just an extrapolation. Kutchan which does have an accurate snow recording station averages around 480 inches(since we're using inches) per year at only 176m (577ft) above sea level. So the figure stated in the Forbes review is probably reasonable say at 1000m on Annupuri but who knows?

The 8% water content of the snow is probably reasonably accurate, those who've been here know how incredibly light and dry the snow can be. Also because the temperatures are reasonably mild, between -5 and -15 the snow crystals often fall as fernlike dendrites. This structure means the snow settles loosely with plenty of air in top layers which is why the snow can be so fluffy and light so often. Love it!

Living in Seattle has some nice benefits....

Mt Baker (1) is about 3 hours away.

Stevens Pass (6) and Crystal (16) are both about 2-2.5 hours away. Crystal is larger and has better back country compared to Stevens (so I'm told).

Whistler is maybe 5-6 hours away and doable on a long weekend.

I've never been to Mt. Hood but it's close to Portland which is 3 hours away.

But yeah the snow tends to be wet and more heavy I guess. I started riding a few years ago and have only done it in the Pacific NW so I can't compare. But the snow's nick name is Cascade Concrete. There's still some great powder days though.

Go Seattle!

Yeah, if it was actually accurate most of it would be Japanese places.

But I definitely love the Pacific Northwest and British Colombia. You'll have to check Crystal out if you haven't been. Great steep fun mountain! Whistler's great of course too but everyone knows that....

All except one in North America? Not so sure about that. As others say, bit of extrapolation and hypothesis going on. Locals here swear Seki Onsen is just about the snowiest place in Japan. Maybe one of the TOP THREE as Japanese like to do with everything. They've never backed it up with hard evidence (though I've never asked either).

Originally Posted By: ger
You'll have to check Crystal out if you haven't been.

I've been once when I was still somewhere between beginner and intermediate. There had just been a late season dump so skipped out on work, it was great!

Ger, are you in the PNW?

MG, if your friends have back issues of Bravoski, you will see that there are many more places in Japan that get more snow quantity than Niseko (if memory serves correct it didnt make the top 10 in Japan), but it was also consistently ranked #2 or #1 for snow quality and was always battling with Shiga Kogen. Personally, I love most places in Japan because theyre all so bloody good!!!!!! party

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz

Ger, are you in the PNW?

I'm in Japan but lived in Vancouver for a year. Last time I was back I we did Crystal-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Whistler for some great skiing and partying too. Love the PNW.