• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avatar is at least an interesting idea/event

What would it be like to travel to another world? It's a question that's occupied film-makers ever since French director Georges Méliès shot Le voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon), inspired by the works of Jules Verne and HG Wells, back in 1902.

Scores of directors have followed suit, but their efforts have often been hampered by an inability to depict alien landscapes realistically. The best efforts - the early Star Wars films, or Joss Whedon's recent Serenity, worked out that the most effective way to show planets millions of miles from our own was to shoot in earth-bound landscapes which themselves look other-worldly (north African deserts, mostly).

With Avatar, 15 minutes of which was screened to audiences today around the world, James Cameron has dared go one step further. The film is a rare, madly ambitious attempt to not just show, but to immerse cinema-goers in an alien landscape. And judging from what I saw on screen earlier today, Cameron has pulled it off spectacularly.

Instead of looking like a far-flung corner of our own world, the lush, verdant planet of Pandora is like nothing we have seen before. The plant life here is shockingly unearthly, while the inhabitants appear to have followed a completely different evolutionary path to those we are used to; the sentient ones are sleek, ten-foot tall, blue-skinned creatures called the Na'vi.

Our hero, however, is human - for a while, at least. Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is a former marine paralysed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Given access to a Na'vi body, which he pilots remotely from an orbiting spaceship, he is sent to Pandora by the military, 100 years nthe future. What he doesn't realise is that he may be part of a covert strategy to investigate the planet's potentially lucrative natural resources (there's a global warming agenda to Avatar, no doubt).

There's a moment in the footage I saw this morning, just after Jake has been rescued from a pack of baying, canine types, by a radiant, dread-locked Na'vi lady (who appears to be the flick's romantic interest) when he looks around and takes in his surroundings for the first time. And it's here that Cameron is most successful - not in the action sequences, which are admittedly remarkable and make excellent use of 3D, nor in the superb scene onboard the spaceship in which Jake's brain is first fused with his alien body. I felt completely immersed in the sublime, bizarre beauty of the Pandorian rainforest, both comforted by its warmth, and unnerved by its inherent perversity. And that, certainly, is tribute to the 3D work - the dripping fronds almost seem to lick your face, the humidity makes you feel you should be perspiring.

But will it have the narrative warmth and humanity to transcend its geeky space opera roots and reach out to a wider audience? There has been much hope that the film would follow in the vein of Cameron's last fiction film, 1997's box-office megalith, Titanic, whose enormous success was partly down to appealing to both genders. Avatar, thought it does bear an uncanny resemblance in parts to the early Star Wars films - in particular Return of the Jedi, with its scenes on the forest moon of Endor - still looks to me like a film with a certain type of man in its crosshairs.

"I think it was good; I didn't think it was mind-blowing," says Joanna Davison, a 28-year-old technical director from Kilburn, and one of the few women who attended this morning's screening at the BFI IMAX in London. "I think girls will probably go and see it with their boyfriends, but I'm not sure it's this big romantic epic. They don't seem to be marketing it on the story, they seem to be marketing it on the 3D. But it will definitely appeal to kids."

Student Ali Jawad, 20, from Kingsbury, meanwhile, thought the footage was "very impressive', although he also thought the CGI was "a little blurry at times". He added: "It was nothing like as bad as Transformers though. You could definitively see what was going on. I'll certainly be back to see the film - I'm a big fan of James Cameron, but I'm not sure it should be judged in the shadow of Titanic. It's a completely different genre."

The full version of Avatar doesn't arrive on UK screens until the winter, so there's still plenty of time for Cameron and his team to consolidate the hype required to justify the $250m plus budget. Today's screenings were a big part of that, but the jury remains out on whether Avatar will revolutionise cinema and cinema-going habits in the way Cameron has suggested.

Ultimately, no matter how caught up audiences are in the 3D world of Pandora, they'll also need to feel involved in a romance between two big, blue Thundercat-type creatures, one of which is being controlled by a wounded squaddie. This could yet turn out to be Cameron's greatest challenge.