Karuizawa & Mt Asama - 11th April 2009

This weekend I took a trip into Nagano to Karuizawa. A friend of mine lives near there and was having a party last night so I took advantage of the expressway deal and got there in about 90 minutes. Went to take a look at some of the waterfalls and temples around Karuizawa as well as a closer look at Mt Asama.

In some ways, it was just too bright yesterday and I was struggling with the light for photos, lots of them came out looking very washed out (need to study!)

Onioshidashi:

This park is just at the base of Mt Asama just to the north of Karuizawa. It's a very curious place, basically made up of the lava flow of a previous eruption (or so I believe). It makes for some very interesting formations and the temple in the middle made it all look very pretty with Asama in the background as well.

muikabochi_1642.jpg

muikabochi_1629.jpg

muikabochi_1631.jpg

muikabochi_1630.jpg

muikabochi_1628.jpg

muikabochi_1627.jpg

muikabochi_1613.jpg

muikabochi_1632.jpg

muikabochi_1640.jpg

Kumanokotai Shrine (Usuitoge):

This temple is just a few minutes drive up past the old Kyu-Karuizawa area. This area was almost deserted, but very pretty.

muikabochi_1634.jpg

muikabochi_1620.jpg

muikabochi_1619.jpg

muikabochi_1636.jpg

Waterfalls:

Shiraito no taki

About 10 minutes drive from central Karuizawa

muikabochi_1633.jpg

muikabochi_1635.jpg

Sengataki

muikabochi_1618.jpg

I like the photos you make, muikabochi.

Use ND (nutral density) filters or polarizing filters. The latter is a bit expensive but worth it.

Go to Yodobashi or Sakura when you are in Tokyo.

If you are using just point and shoot small cameras, (They are great for back-up, 2nd camara) I shoot through my shades.. (ray-ban whatever...) Old pro's trick.

Cheers. I did actually use a NF filter yesterday but it didn't seem to help much, there just wasn't much contrast out there to work with. Basically, I really just need to get on the case with learning how to use all the dials and buttons.

wink

josh - I believe so. I certainly saw lots of golf courses and lots of big expensive looking houses in woods just off the tree-lined straight roads. It seemed different from most towns in Japan I have been to somehow. Wouldn't mind going back to check it out more.

Fun area Karuizawa. Not keen on the center part myself but there's lots to do round about - seems you hit some good spots there muika. That Onioshidashi park is worth a visit.

Lots of sausages too.

Great photos. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Use ND (nutral density) filters or polarizing filters. The latter is a bit expensive but worth it.

Just ordered the latter. Thanks for prodding me into action there, Jynxx.
thumbsup

Got my filter and went out this morning to take a few pics. Very mixed (disappointing) results, so I really need to learn how and when to use this. Also found a blue enhancer filter online for 500 yen (unopened, normal price around 7000 yen) so I thought I'd give that a go too. I'll let you know how that goes miller.

sunsets? Take off matrix metering and go for spot. Set it on F11 and then play around with the shutter speed to get the required orange. If blurry, set the ISO higher. All experimental and a lot to play with.

muika, when you use the polarizing filters, you need to rotate the filters that gives you the maximum (or desired grade) of polarization. You need to keep looking in the view finder and rotate the filter. What the polarizing filter is doing: The light is coming in to your lens from all directions without it. With it, it allows the light that is coming from right angles. That means not only it cuts out the amount of light that comes into the lens but also cuts the glare by only letting in the light that comes from the angle that gives you the best lighting. You will notice in your view finder, as you rotate, the contrast will change..

This is the advantage to ND filters that only reduces the amount of light that comes in.

So with ND filters, you want to use it when you don't want to use high f stops, keep the lens appature open and reduce the light coming in.

hope this helps