Anyone been up to Shiga Kogen in the last week or so? I know conditions were pretty decent still before then and have read the reports, but wonder how is the warm weather affecting the snow out there? Any first hand would be great. Might go up on Monday.

Id imagine the same as Hakuba. In another thread somebody commented on how much better Shiga Kogen was to Hakuba regarding snow coverage without thinking how much higher Shiga Gelende's start from. In essence, theyre the same if you compare from altitude, not lifts smile

I'd imagine Shiga Kogen is better than Hakuba.

(Altitude/lifts or whatever) the fact is that snow conditions certainly were better - actually considerably better - in Shiga Kogen than they were in Hakuba when I went (to both) on 30th and 31st March.

Here's what I said at the time:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/308980/Current_conditions_report_Shig.html

You're welcome. I'd be interested to hear how it was if you do go. I doubt I will get out again though, if I do it will probably be an impulse Kagura - not bad though, 22 times overall. Preparing lots of trips to places in the coming months now which is fun.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I'd imagine Shiga Kogen is better than Hakuba.

(Altitude/lifts or whatever) the fact is that snow conditions certainly were better - actually considerably better - in Shiga Kogen than they were in Hakuba when I went (to both) on 30th and 31st March.

Here's what I said at the time:
http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/308980/Current_conditions_report_Shig.html

Although to actually make a fair comparison you would have had to go to both on the same day. When you went to Hakuba the day after Shiga kogen there was already an extra day of strong sunlight plus a significant rise in the freezing level. If you had gone to Hakuba on the 30th and then Shiga kogen on the 31st you may have found the conditions were better on the upper slopes of Hakuba than Shiga Kogen.

Wanted to say that soon after your report but didn't get round to it. At the time I noticed a considerable deterioration between the snow on the Sunday and on the Monday
especially on east to south aspects which were getting drilled by the sun (and which incedently Happo mostly faces). I hit the backcountry on the Monday and of course the north facing slopes were still holding great snow.

At varying times in this strange season if you'd gone one day you would have had bottomless powder and -10 degrees whereas the next day might see rain to 3000m so you can't really make sweeping statements based on two seperate days..

Thats it..

The point that cb is trying to make is that at shiga you get 500 vertical meters of sking.

In hakuba you get 1000 vertical meters. if you compare the 2 resorts and those last 500 vertical meters the snow is about the same. With the wheather freeze level reaching 3000 meters all the snow in nagano is or has turned to melt freeze.

I can hardly call myself a Hakuba local, and everybody knows Ive said my best powder day was at Shiga Kogen. Just stating a simple fact that Shigas lowest lift starts from about 1600m, compared with Hakubas 800m so the snow would seem like its better with more coverage when it fact theyre about the same.

Be told muika - your personal observations about the snow quality when you were there are just so obviously misinformed and incorrect! The snow obviously wasn't better at Shiga Kogen, it only seemed so. slap

This is already quite tiresome and entirely predictable, but I can't work out what the heck the height of lifts has to do with a persons first-hand experience of the snow when they were there. muikabochi was simply commenting on the snow conditions he experienced at Shiga Kogen one day and then Hakuba the next day.

We could just talk about the snow quality in Niseko instead, because there can be no argument that it's better than both Hakuba or Shiga on just about any day of the season razz

Originally Posted By: Go Native
We could just talk about the snow quality in Niseko instead, because there can be no argument that it's better than both Hakuba or Shiga on just about any day of the season razz

lol