OK I don't like eating fish that are still alive, and find the whole 'delight at a living thing on my plate' thing very grim, but can someone explain what is happening here?

The guy is slicing up a fish and then putting it back in the tank - alive?

Comes from a Japanese TV program. called USO or something? The subtitle is chinese.

It says it is a secret and legendary technique with the knife. The chef makes sashimi and the puts the fish back in the tank. The rest is entertainment..

I might note that when they make sashimi, or any food out of a fish kept alive in a tank does not equate to yummy fresh fish. People get convinced it must be yummy because it is alive but not so. Why? Because it is stressed! It is better to kill it straight away after the catch, and some of them bled, and if it is sashimi eat straight away or put it on ice.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

I might note that when they make sashimi, or any food out of a fish kept alive in a tank does not equate to yummy fresh fish. People get convinced it must be yummy because it is alive but not so. Why? Because it is stressed! It is better to kill it straight away after the catch, and some of them bled, and if it is sashimi eat straight away or put it on ice.

Agreed there. I've never found fish living in a tank at the restaurant to be particularly good. Except maybe lobster. And that video is just gross.

Where was that Indo ?

Ger, do you find tha smaller lobsters in Japan yummier than the big Aussie ones?

I had one from Nova Scotia ( Canada E coast) boiled with just butter salt'n pepper.

Wow.. maybe they taste better from cold waters.

In a sea side town in Japan Jynxx.

The fish came out breathing and lobster screaming! Nothing better!

I've seen alot of small crays in the supermarkets of late. Maybe imported but my favorites are freshly caught 2kg beasts that we used to get off Kangaroo Island.

Hone-Oyogashi

meaning letting the bone swim...

I think the emphasis here is technique (I assume leaving enough muscle and nerve and keeping it balanced so it can still swim.)

Indo, I'm not so sure about it when it comes to squid...

I hooked a squid on a jig, and the partner came all the way both flashing luminance with each other, and when I pulled it out the other one stuck its head out and I caught its eye. I saw intelligence. Stopped eating squid after that. Then again I was getting sick of it cos squid is one thing I can catch consistently.

I think what is happening in that video is just cruel.

I would not be encouraging it by buying.

However I enjoy fish, fresh fish and have made the catch myself - but I agree with Jynxx - quick death and apprecitation of the meal the animal provides - no need to taunt it.

according to Wikipedia its made up of this......

Cephalopod ink contains a number of chemicals in a variety of different concentrations, depending on the species. However, its main constituents are melanin and mucus. It can also contain, among other things, tyrosinase, dopamine and L-DOPA,[5] and small amounts of amino acids, including taurine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, alanine and lysine