Scotland to introduce minimum charge for alcohol

Very controversial, I actually didn't know that it had been ratified. Scotland unfortunately has a big problem with underage drinkers and the powers that be seem to think that hiking up the price is gonna stop this, the way i see it is that kids who wanna get their hands on booze are gonna do it regardless of the price (Just look at tobacco in the UK) and its gonna hit the responsible majority in the pocket. Typical.

Never stopped me as a kid! Doubt that it will have the desired effect now either.

Does anyone know whether the charge is for the actual alcohol content or for the entire drink? If the former, that will increase the amount of lite beer (and the number) that the kids drink, if the latter, it will increase the number of high potency spirits they down.

Either way, a loss to the community, not to mention the parents and families who'll likely lose a child/sibling to binge drinking/drink driving/etc etc.

Yeah Thats what I read. Its gonna be on a units per alcohol basis, so they said that a crate of beer which costs roughly 7 quid now, could/will jump to 20 quid!! omg Its still not cut and dry though as its gotta be put through the Scottish parliament and all the opposition parties are against it.

It wn't be Big Will, its just another panic measure by those in charge cos they don't know what to do, but feel they have to do something. Will the tax be re-invested into health care etc....will it buggery

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
"will it buggery"

Where are they saying it would go then?

Where they SAY it will go, and where it eventually ends up are likely to be 10 (binary) different things. Cynic? Too right!

It'll probably go to the London Olympics, what with the costs rocketing!1 When has tax increases EVER actually had a noticeably positive effect on public spending? Never, it just goes into a black hole and nobody knows what happens after it!

Not as the price of the drink in the pub, this is added as tax to the alcohol sold in supermarkets, so a bottle of whisky for arguements sake will have say 20 units per bottle, so that's an extra 10 quid on top of the price now to buy 1 bottle of whisky. Do the same for a 20 pack of beer and you start to see how expensive this is gonns be for mr and Mrs Joe McBloggs