TR: Tohoku 2009 (Alts, Inawashiro, Zao, Tazawako, Shizukuishi, Appi Kogen, Hunter)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
What exactly was curious about it?

Well first of all it truly is out on the middle of nowhere. You would never come across it, so you need to know about it. We went from Zao and after going down the main road for 10 minutes or so it was another 10 or so on a few very narrow winding roads with no houses around, thinking we must be in the wrong place.

When you get there, you go in and it seems like an old big Japanese-style living room. I don't know how many, but one big tatami room with about 6 low tables. That basically is the 'restaurant'. It just doesn't feel like a restaurant as such. But the food comes and it's really good.

Apparently the place has an excellent reputation and people come from afar to check it out.

thumbsup

Well I'm no expert on the roads round there but we took the road going down by the gasoline stand, turned right, went on the little toll road and then it was another 5-10 minutes on narrow winding roads. So I suppose on a map yes it will be somewhere between Zao and Yamagata. It seemed to be well knowng among people in Zao so I'm sure if you ask someone they'll help out.

From the toll road, continue straight on road 53 which changes into road 167 for about 2 or 3km. There is a steep right turn in the road and you can see a sign on the left hand side just after. If you follow the sign for about 500m on narrow road and you will find it!

If you ask Zao people I am sure someone will know.