most common injuries amongst intermediate to advanced snowboarders are broken wrists.

I knew a guy in Hakuba who had one of his forearm bones exit his hand after a crash off the big kicker on one of the last days of the season.

Intermediate to advanced skiers have alot of head injuries, because they overshoot the landings of their jumps, and land all wrong.

in my experience...

snowboarders (regardless of level) is most definitely the wrist and forearm breaks. followed then by head injuries and shoulder. so pretty much upper body extremities.

skiers tend to be an all over body expeience. head and back is always common which sucks cause it requires a c-collar, backboard, and sled ride out. acl tear is pretty is pretty frequent but most of those are walk-ins. the next biggie is a tib-fib fracture (two bones below the knee), usually just above the boot. with the advent of the park the femur fracture is on the serious rise. which also sucks cuz that's a mandatory c-collar, board, and sled as well. not to mention a traction splint.

general abrasions are common all around as well as impalments (branches, poles).

so in summary, major = head, arms, and legs, minor = abrasions from crashes or hitting stuff like trees or other people.

now the BEST i've ever seen was some dude drinking a six pack and attempting the park...on one of his first days on the hill. the ski popped off after he wallied the jump and the tip popped his eye out. we couldn't recover it as he lost his eye fluid.

oh yeah one other thing that is extremely common and very dangerous...frostbite or frostnip and hypothermia.

Lots of beginner skiers waste their thumb when they are holding their pole grips wrong. If you put your hand under your strap you can sprain it easy as when you fall. Gotta clamp down over it. hard to explain but easy if you have a go.

I think a common strain is also to the cashflow. Need money but want to ski, catch 22 really

Ive had my fair share of injuries.

in 96, ripped the bone off the lower part of my knee, where the ligaments attach, so instead of blowing a medial ligament i just had surgery to glue the bone back.

in 97, blew the same bone apart, both whilst landing awkardly. this time i had the bone screwed on.

99, ACL joint in right shoulder. Caught an edge at speed riding fakie and flipped onto it twice, bouncing right onto the point.

00, first day of the season, best season in 40 years, busted my right ankle at 10.00am. ankle plates and pins still there and I dont hit big booters anymore.

injury free since that but alot more selective in what i ride. Thems the breaks, ay

Worst I seen was impalement, not too bad but pretty rank all the same.

I also heard of some poor swine drowning after going "off piste" on some snow that looked perfect, only to realise he was on a frozen lake, or under it......eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

I was skiing for many years but my knee started acting up a bit, and then took up snowboarding on advice from a buddy - so I'm out on the board for the most part now. You hear a lot of knee complaints, especially from skiers.