• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

This year Happo-One will be issuing credit card size electronic lift tickets.

The first ski area in Japan to use them.

For season passes your photo will be printed on this ticket.

The ticket deposit will also be lowered to 500yen.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Um Niseko has had credit card sized electronic lift tickets for many years so not sure if they are the first in Japan to use them.

Not sure GN....they just called me a few minutes before, that they are doing some kind of promotion in Tokyo for them as the first ski area in Japan to use them. Well i think thats what they said...My Japanese isnt the greatest

lol

Perhaps they are exactly the same size as a credit card whereas the Niseko ones are 1mm out or something.

I just love the scraping around for "best / first / biggest / etc" in Japan. It's totally meaningless and simply annoying more than anything.

Originally Posted By: SKI
lol

Perhaps they are exactly the same size as a credit card whereas the Niseko ones are 1mm out or something.

I just love the scraping around for "best / first / biggest / etc" in Japan. It's totally meaningless and simply annoying more than anything.

i wonder if it is the new gates they are using....but I am sure they did say "the first time in Japan"

I quite like the 3cm square chip tickets because they will fit in the back pocket of a glove. None of that lowering your shoulder to the machine to get it to register. Bigger tickets, like the old season passes, need a jacket pocket. In spring, you don't need a jacket.

Free gate system?

Would that mean that there is no bar? you just walk on through?

I love the skidata card system that Niseko uses, being a natural boarder it took me a while to work out that life was SO much easier riding with a sleeve pocket arm band thingy (bought in Niseko thank you to the clever person who made that a reality).

The same system was used in Zermatt, but your picture was printed on it regardless of how long you bought for - not just for seasons passes. The arm band came in handy again (YAY, glad I remembered to pack it).

Shiga Kogen uses RFID for its lift passes as well. It actually comes in handy. Just put it in your arm pocket and forget about it... or in your glove.. But it is also used for the buses.. the bus driver just scans your chip and on you get..

I think it would help the administration, as it would allow them to see the flow of people/plot where the average person goes and which areas are getting the most traffic. This would allow them to know if it was a good idea putting a massive lift upgrade in a popular section or whether it would be a waste of time/money.

The data gained is worth tons. Problem is lots of ski resorts are close to or completely broke and can't afford to install it all. Hence the farmer lifties with their brushes.

lol

I think the average age of staff at the small Minami resort near where I live must be around 60. And the brushes they use to clear the lift chairs of snow - even when there's, er, no snow - must be getting on for that age too!