• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my age, waking up each morning is a thrill. That one I can cope with. Falling through the air with a giant hanky attached with string, is not one I can manage to get excited about. (with apologies to the TV show "Hustle")

Originally Posted By: thursday
what 42?

Not such a strange thing. I was at uni (OK part time and by distance education aka correspondence) at 50! I was not STILL at uni, though! wink

I did a commerce degree, visual arts degree, and applied physics degree. What I learnt is that academics are not for me. At least Uni teachers are decent enough to treat you like a human being, not like high school and makes learning an inspiring process.

When it comes to school of life, it's all about un-learning for me.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I did a commerce degree, visual arts degree, and applied physics degree. What I learnt is that academics are not for me. At least (some) Uni teachers are decent enough to treat you like a human being, not like (some) high school and makes learning an inspiring process.

The fact is that there are some uni lecturers who are so far up themselves that they can see daylight. Others are human. Same for High school teachers. Same also for TAFE teachers.

When I taught in a Senior High, it was a quantum shift from the 7-12 schools I'd been in, for a start the students were almost all adult (some a little immature still {;^) )but as a teacher one could treat them as adults and expect the same in return.

To a greater or lesser degree, the way a students presents is the way they will be treated, at no matter the level.

You mean the teacher in front disappears and tunnels in your head through your face?

Rubbish... Only one teacher many students. Only a failure to the teacher, and student's willingness is a bonus.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
You mean the teacher in front disappears and tunnels in your head through your face?
Rubbish... Only one teacher many students. Only a failure to the teacher, and student's willingness is a bonus.

confused wakaranai
Not sure what point you are trying to make there Jynxx.

Yeah, lost me too, Mama!

Jynxx,

What I meant was that they were so impressed with their own abilities that they were unwilling to be of any assistance to their students.

The Aussie vernacular "up themselves" means that they believe that they are so much better than anyone else. Referring to teachers/lecturers, it means that they are terribly insecure but believe they should be doing far more worthy things, and they do not cope well with pepople who struggle with their content.

Never had one of them?? you musst have led a charmed life through school and university!

Yeah,I have been lucky with teachers.

One Brit fireman cum p.t. teacher who had no sense of fair play and a racist.

I had one Japanese junior high teacher that had no place in teaching. Teachers earn respect. Not command! It's not the fockin army. He was one of these who puts people down in public.

Australian High school teachers were disappointing.

Japanese University professors are up themselves and they just want to sell the textbook they have written. Hard to approach.

Australian TAFE teachers are not bad.

At Uni, I had that problem you are talking about JA, but that was Visual Arts. What to expect!? Just artists who got a cushy job stealing students ideas.

With applied physics, man... That was the best learning experience I had. These people were not only good researchers but also good teachers. Always approachable. Always made time for me even when they were busy and I begged for 10 min. Didn't give me answers but made me click. I will recommend studying a science degree in Australia to anyone.

It's annoying when people use physics terms to everyday English without knowing what it means. So a quantum shift in teaching might imply something like ...

There's a book called "Use and Abuse." Full of examples of words that gets used inappropriately.

Wow! A load of generalisations in there, Jynxx.

Quote:
Australian High school teachers were disappointing.

from a sample of a couple of dozen. 40 or 50 at most. I'd guess (without bothering to check the actual numbers, so if I'm wrong I'll accept) at least 10 000 in NSW alone. Hardly a representative sample. That said, I agree there are some whose main job is to get the pay packet, no reference to quality or teaching.

Quote:
Australian TAFE teachers are not bad.

Again from a small sample of the whole range. Like most professions, there are good bad and indifferent.

++Disclaimer++ This is a personal view formed through having been, at some time or another during my lifetime, involved with or occupied in the professions mentioned. Nothing in this post is to be taken to be absoute fact. Consumers are to draw their own conclusions and consult a professional if unable to do so alone.

hijack

lol

Yep, just a personal experience..

but having to change schools every 2 years gave me a bit of perspective.

mind you I have a few friends with a Dip.Ed or B.Ed but after doing some high school teaching, got fed up with it and went into adult education. Their exact quote " High school sucked, it still does" That might sum it up.

These days I recommend kids to do some trade. You can always do year 11 and 12 later at TAFE or do a University bridging course. Get in as mature age student and skip the High School BS. Lot of hassle and competition for pretty basic stuff.

+Disclaimer applies+

My cuurrent position involves getting Year 11 and 12 students into a School-Based Traineeship/Apprenticeship.

That means they can get a head start on a trade, still get the HSC and count the Traineeship/Apprenticeship as units towards their HSC. In some cases, the units can also be used towards the UAI (University Admission Index for thoise who don't know).

This is a great way for a kid with no (or minimal) academic aspirations to enter the workforce part-time, get paid for the time and still get a HSC testamur. Sort of thing I wish was around when I was at school!

For many kids who do not aspire to University at this stage of life (Y11/12) this is a great opportunity. Some employers now no longer employ fiurst year apprentices straight out of school. They use the traineeship system as a way of determining the skills and enthusiasm of a student and can either take them on as an apprentice after the HSC or wave them goodbye. Either way, the employer and the kid both win.

Love that system JA! Our school while having a very high academic standard and attracting kids who will nail the TEE, also has a program like this, and it is well respected!

But I also have to say, for kids whose path is academic and straight to Uni (with or without a gap year) that there are programmes out there nothing short of inspirational. You just need the right environment.

I moved my kids 7 years ago out of a failing public school in a good area, where I was crying myself to sleep from frustration and fear for my children due to inappropriate provision of education. We moved to an expensive single sex school in a better area with a very good reputation and it has continued to improve and develop its ability to meet the needs of all the children at that school. Within the school are the odd teachers that could do with retirement or redeployment, but by and large they have hired the right people for the right job. Parents are involved, they fundraise, they donate thier time to make sure it continues to grow and improve.

THIS high school is an amazing and inspirational place. I wish everyone could say the same of thier school. It is hard enough to be a teenager without your school sucking!

Quote:
I wish everyone could say the same of thier school. It is hard enough to be a teenager without your school sucking!

Where I'm from there are 2 schools in the catchment area - very different levels and lots of problems every year in terms of parents wanting their children to go where.