Yep swimming, wake boarding and surfing is definately not top of my list at the moment. Shark Attack just off our coast they think was a white pointer.

Did you read the story about in Tassie. The little girls cousin jumped in to save her and the shark was thrashing her around, throwing her in the air and then dived under with her. He paddled out and saved her and the shark kept at them the whole way in.

SCARY!!!!! omg

He only needs to get up to his knees and he's a chance. There has been more than one fatality in WA that have occured very close to shore.

One of the attacks this week was in a lake near a boat ramp!

"The shark dragged the girl under water twice before her cousin reached the scene on his surfboard and hit the shark, causing it to let go, said Senior Sergeant Jason Elmer of St Helens Police.

The cousin, a man in his 20s from Queensland, pulled the teenager up on to his surfboard and paddled towards the shore.

The shark followed and circled the frightened pair. At one stage they caught a wave, but the shark was in the same wave, said Senior Sergeant Elmer, who arrived on the scene shortly after the attack. "They managed to get to shore," he said. "There's a significant bite out of the surfboard. I understand there was a fair bit of blood in the water."

SharkBoard.jpg

After reading that and seeing the board I am not even putting my big toe in the water. We were all going wake boarding this weekend and I have kindly volunteered to be the driver.

It's all bullshiat and media hype. They reckon that is a dolphin fin anyway. Not one person saw that fin which would stike you as being odd don't ya think????

A shark expert was on sunrise yesterday or the day before and gave the media a good dressing down. All these reports about sharks being about wrong species and harmless species etc. (sure the 3 attacks were real though!)

Remember the 2 whitey chomps back in 2000? 1 at cactus and one at Blacks?

I'd be more worried about that as they occured in closer proximity than these attacks which were spread out over 15,000kms of coastline (and one is a place where you require a passport to go to! razz )

I wonder if she thought..... I gonna need a bigger board! Great trophy to show the grandkids though.

The media loves a good shark story and that fin does look more dolphin than shark. A shark swimming that close to the surface would show its tail fin as well, wouldn't it?

But yeah, pretty much anything more than knee deep and you're a half a chance. Bull sharks and bronze whalers can be dangerous even when fairly small (less than 2m) and people have died from their attacks simply due to massive blood loss. I've seen or heard or read somewhere that humans don't make good feeding for sharks anyway, we're too much bone and not enough meat. Many shark attacks tend to be bite and release, with few people ever actually being eaten. Small comfort, I know!

Speaking as a person with bugger all knowledge on the subject, I'd feel more comfortable swimming at ocean beaches, particularly on the east coast than at estuarine rivers, lakes, or canals, where those nasty little bull sharks lurk in shallow murky water.

Originally Posted By: The Gimp

The media loves a good shark story and that fin does look more dolphin than shark. A shark swimming that close to the surface would show its tail fin as well, wouldn't it?

Good point. Generally sharks are easy to spot because of the tail fin and the way they move through the water. At first I though it wa a dolphin too, but after reading this guys comment I changed my mind. This is a renowned surfer with some 30+ years experience. Also why would he be blabbing on about sharks in the area if he runs the local surf school?

"It was just having a cruise, it wasn't showing attack mode behaviour. We have a lot of sharks up here but they are really well fed," said Mr Hughes, 50, who built an international reputation in big waves at Cronulla Point in the 1980s.

"I didn't tell the students 'cause they just would have worried.

"It might have been a great white.

Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: Mantas

One of the attacks this week was in a lake near a boat ramp!

In a Lake?? wakaranai

Yep, in a lake. brakish shallow murky water that is linked to the sea is prime bull shark territory. That's why canals, and river mouths and such are probably more dangerous than the surf.

From wiki- The bull shark, Carcharhinus leucas, also known as the bull whaler, Zambezi shark or unofficially known as Zambi in Africa and Nicaragua shark in Nicaragua, is a shark common worldwide in warm, shallow waters along coasts and in rivers. The bull shark is well known for its unpredictable, often aggressive behavior. Many scientists agree that since bull sharks often dwell in shallow waters, they may be more dangerous to humans than any other species of sharks,[1] and that they join tiger sharks and great white sharks as the three shark species most likely to attack humans.[2]

Unlike most other marine sharks, bull sharks tolerate fresh water. They can travel far up rivers. As a result, they are probably responsible for the majority of shark attacks on humans that take place near the shore, including many attacks attributed to other species.[3] However, bull sharks are not true freshwater sharks (unlike the river sharks of the genus Glyphis).

The incident that gave birth to the movie Jaws is a shark that they reckon got trapped in the rivers and canals in New Jersey in the 1920's and 1930's and ate a few people over the course of a summer. i watched a documentary about it once on discovery. It swam really far up river, which really shocked the marine biologists as they didn't think sharks could live in fresh water

Indo those chips look great....I'd kill a surfer for a bag of those chips right now!! evilgrin