Hello. I am thinking of buying one of those digital photo frame things for my parents overseas. Idea is to load it up with lots of photos from here in Japan and it might make a good present for them as they like photos and I could update it too.

Anyone got one or bought one or just recommendations? I am looking at a few, the Sony one looked best in the shops.

Thank you.

Whether it is or not, that comes across as a default Sony-hating post. Is that referring to the digital photo frames that our vicar friend is asking about?

vicar-san. I don't have one of these things but think they would make a good present. I was looking into them last summer thinking they might be an interesting prezzie for the parents. The Philips ones (probably can't get that here) and the Sony one have the best reputation - from what I saw - regarding screen quality.

If you get one, let us know!

SV I bought my mum and dad one for Christmas last year and they love it. Everytime they are having vistors it gets turned on to show the photo's. I have uploaded photo's of her favourite flowering tree, dogs, party's, days out.

It is great for them as they can look at it whenever they want which they don't seem to do with all their photo albums. The other bonus is the grand kids email them with current pictures which get put straight on the DPF.

GET ONE!!

I hardly think 'software' is a big issue for something that basically displays photos and does some slideshows etc. confused

If you look at the reviews on amazon (.com and .co.uk) for the Sony DPF-V900 beauty you'll see it get excellent reviews - slick, well made, excellent images... just expensive. But if paying a bit more for quality ain't a problem.... some of those frame things are shoddy affairs.

Funny, I looked at some of them with my wife in Sakuraya the other day actually and we were thinking about buying one for ourselves and upload loads of pics to it to display. They look really great, the frames come various sizes, patterns, colours etc and the pics look very good on some of them.

But how good they are not sure, guess it might be worth reading some reviews like r45 above suggested.

Was looking at them in the shops as well before Christmas. The Sony one sure looked like one of the best the picture quality was fantastic. As people say though, more expensive. Can't get Philips in Japan, well I've never seen anything Philips. There's lots out there so go check them out. Mums / Dads / Grandparents have been known to like getting them.

I got one for my parents last year. I don't remember the model number but it was Philips, got it in the UK. They love it and use it to show people photos.

One thing I don't like about digital photos compared to printed ones is that the only change I usually seem to get to see them is in front of a computer.

hmmms, confused

Sony would be a premium for the brand name.

There are loads of non-famous OEM ones that do just as good a job.

Bear in mond the transformer will be on 24x7 and it will be using power all the time. But def get one with as big a screen as you can and with Hi-def display.

Quote:
There are loads of non-famous OEM ones that do just as good a job.

If you look and compare the quality of screen, you will realise that they do not.

The Sony ones have timers on them. I think in the shop it said the biggest one used 45 yen a month in electricity when turned on 10 hours a day.

not really looking at the specs but name brands are much more expensive than the OEMs.

Lately been looking at the X series Bravia with the LED backlight. The 46" panel is OEMed by Samsung in Japan!!. For the same size TV, from Samsung, using the very same panel, it's US$1200 cheaper. (Inferior chipset apparently)

Well, thursday, if there is one that is using the same quality display as the Sony one then it sure wasn't on display in the huge Yamada denki near me (and they must have had about 30 on display)... that's whay my eyes told me.