Can anyone explain why Niseko reported such a large loss of snow (nett -40cm) within 24 hours with about +10cm of new snow?? I don't recall any reports of excessive winds during the past 24hours??? Confused

I'm as jealous as sin I get over there sunday morning, sitting here on the Gold Coast watching the clock counting the sleeps I can't wait to trade the sun for some snow. Have a great weekend m8

If you get a meter of new snow in a day you can expect it to compact somwhat under its own weight. I would try to find out how much snow fell rather that look at absoulute depth. The day after a large amount of snow you could get 50cm settlement - with 45cm of new snow that would show up as a 5cm loss but still be an epic powder day.

You lucky bugger Banno. We have just reached the 30 Days countdown and hoping the snowfalls keep up until we get there.

If you check the archives you will see Niseko is blitzing last years snowfalls and depths. With a big front due to come through on the weekend you are going to have a GREAT TIME!!! thumbsup Hope you packed a snorkel lol

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
You lucky bugger Banno. We have just reached the 30 Days countdown and hoping the snowfalls keep up until we get there.

If you check the archives you will see Niseko is blitzing last years snowfalls and depths. With a big front due to come through on the weekend you are going to have a GREAT TIME!!! thumbsup Hope you packed a snorkel lol

Hey Snowhunter, looking outside today I know where I would rather be and it aint here. And I sypmathise with you on that 30 day countdown LOL it sux. But when your there I will be envious of you also. Yes the amount they have had so far is gr8 and they are saying January in general is going to be very good, so I think everyone will benefit. Snorkel is packed!!!!

As Mike pointed out the snow we had last week was incredibly light. It only takes a little rise in temps or some wind for this sort of snow to compact down rapidly. I think the Now report also left in 10+ cm from the previous day as it hasn't snowed for a couple of days now. Plenty of snow forecast over this weekend so we should be back in the good stuff for the coming week.