Is it just my bad luck, or am I doing something wrong, or are the toyu oil heaters that people use pretty flimsy and unreliable. I must have got through at least 4 in as many years - they don't break down completely just conk out on me with E4 or E9 messages. Usually when I'm the coldest. I've tried cleaning the things... doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

E9 is the earthquake/tip over error, AKA the gaijin kick-OFF method.

I actually had a adult lesson student ask me if all foreigners kick the heater to turn it off instead of properly turning it off. Got a laugh on that one. If the sensor gets jammed it wont work properly. They work off the same principle of pinball machines. I have not taken the liberty to tear one apart to see how they tick, but I would say its nearly impossible to jam it.

E4 is the general one if I remember correctly. Could be a couple of problems, The air intake filter dirty and not getting enough fresh air or moisture in the fuel, or electrical error in the circuit board.

We bought a Sharp one in about 2002 that is well temperamental. That moisture error all the time, even after a full clean out. With a Sharp one, you can fill it without turning the tank upside down though, which is a plus.

We don't use toyu any more, but I think I prefer old school heaters with the glass cylinder and no fan. They smell a bit more when you light them, but I don't think they dry the air out anything like as much as the fan ones. Especially not if you stick a kettle on top. They are 100% reliable, even in a power cut, because they light off batteries or a match. A lot of shops in Niigata sold out of them after the quake.

The old style ones (glass chimney) are bomb-proof - mine are 8 years old and they just get dusted when I drag them out of the shed each autumn. The electric fan ones aren't - you get what you pay for and they don't last forever. Received wisdom around here is go for glass chimney heaters and electric oil filled radiators if you really need to keep one room warm - ohh and a kotatsu if you can actually relax sitting under a coffee table (which I can't)

I have 2 of them - one I've never had any problems with and it is now 3 or 4 years old. The other one was wonky in the first year last season. Every so often it just seems to want to stop working and, yes, usually when I'm the coldest.

Can't believe that in such a cold place people rely on these things. It just seems... wrong.

Ah Mr W, thats the kind I have. I don't have the electric fan assisted ones. Mines works fine, really warms the room and it is a bit smelly when you light it and if its coming to the end of the can without you noticing but warm all the same. Actually my comapny has just sent out a letter to each employee saying this kind is dangerous and not to use them, but screw that!!

The gas heaters are the best, i remember when i was in nagano noone used them though. may be a regional thing as down in kansai most people i know use them.

i wonder which type (kero/gas/oil radiator) is most efficient...?

Never had problems with mine, run all the time. We have corona toyu heaters.

Ours are the fully automatic electronically controlled types with a fan and blower as well.

Just push the button and they go. I know the older models sometimes would play up.

Anyway I am not sure which are the best make, but we were recommended corona when we bought ours.

Mine works fine, but it's not as easy and idiot-proof as the gas one in the previous apartment.

They're definitley a regional thing. Usually you see them outside of metropolitan areas, but here I am smack dab in the middle of Sapporo...

• 2 weeks later...

I had problems with one once. A colleague at work asked me if it was plugged in directly to the plug at the wall or on an multi extension lead. It was on the latter. I changed it to be plugged in at the wall and it worked then. Don't know why that would make much of a difference but might be worth a go.