OK here's the thing. I went snowboarding a couple of times last season, but there always seemed so much hassle involved.

Planning, getting up early, getting there, being cold, etc.

I want to go this year and make more of an effort, I'm just wondering how to make the whole experience more exciting. I'm sure I'll love it and get mad about it once I find the way to go about it all.

Any advice? Any people drive up from Tokyo or Saitama that have a spare seat sometimes?

Thanks!

Nothing like getting right to the heart of the matter on your 2nd post eh?

I hate the hassle of it all too, and sometimes when I'm going through all that, I wonder if it's worth it.

But the key is making more of an effort, as you suggest yourself. Some goals, however lightly adopted or unspoken, make a big difference. Being able to do this or that, getting better than somebody that you go with, whatever.

The other thing is to minimize the hassle. I used to board only with powder pigs and the constant phoning around, watching and analysing the weather, driving for hours, all got tiresome. So I started going on my own to places that weren't fantastic in themselves, where I could work on my goals. Then it all got more exciting and satisfying.

So in short, raise the stakes and lower the hassle.

(Not that I don't still like wallowing around in powder, squealing and snorting...)

Couple of times every season isn't enough to enjoy it. I always have my ski package in my room (even in summer!) and ready to go to mountain anytime. And you need pal keen on skiing or boarding. They will make you easy.

Quote:
Any people drive up from Tokyo that have a spare seat sometimes?

I wish I had a car, I want to have pal, too. \:\)

Yo Empty! - get the Sat morning 7:10 Shink from Tokyo to Gala Yuzawa. If you have you own gear its less than 1:30 hr from Tokyo station to the chairlifts. Spend all day slamming your body into the snow - then reverse the process. On the train back to Tokyo - grab a couple of beers and sit back with your mates and relax.

On the otherhand, if that is all a bit too - medokusai, then find another sport or move closer to the snow. oh and buy step in bindings or a variation thereof - some say they save a bit of hassle.

if you only do it a couple of times a season of course its a hassle. If you do it every weekend then you will hve the trip down to a fine art and it wont be such a bother.

If you only go once or twice a year not many sports could compare for expensiveness once you get all the gear you cant really rent like good goggles, gloves etc..etc.. all for a couple of days. You have to go to all the trouble of finding out how to do everything ie get there, find a good place to stay etc and when you are actually doing it you wont be very good at it cos of lack of practice.

Commit! buy a pass, get good gear, sort out the best way to get there and the best place to stay and then only the first weekend will be a hassle and all the following ones will be easy(er).

do it!

if you want. \:\)

make it a habit (so you just roll out of bed, slap on all your gear, hop in the car with a coffee and head up the hill)

find people who love it as much as you do, and you'll be sweet! also helps when your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife loves it as much as you...

what i mean is to make the bits that are a hassle a habit - in other words, the getting out of bed super early, getting ready and getting there... besides, i don't think you could ever take away the excitement... actually, you can make the trip exciting too by playing some music to get yourself psyched up. i find pennywise is excellent for this - even early in the morning \:D

I agree with shimba (or is it Jared? lol.gif ) make a routine and then it doesnt seem like such a hassle. After youve dried your gear etc pack it up so its ready to go. Getting some ski mad mates always helps too, having someone to "talk shop" with always gets me amped. Good psyche up music is essential. Plan a few big weekends to stay away with a group of friends and revel in the anticipation. Its not hard to get hooked though. You have been warned.

I find silence, broken only by the quiet munching of convenience store food and the slurping of coffee from flasks to be far more effective in psyching me up than any amount of vulgar, loud music. That and blasts of cold air through the open window when somebody inevitably farts.

Yeah, I'm with Ocean on the music thing.

Even after two decades of bars, dance clubs, outdoor raves, solo car stereo jamming sessions and assorted ear-drum workouts, I still love my own loud music and even some loud music selected by others...it does give me things and can psyche me up for this or that...maybe when listened to privately the night before.

But I've never enjoyed any music, loud or not, while skiing or boarding. In fact I hate it with a passion. I can take a bit of mellow stuff on the ride home, but just to relax and pass the time.

I did a lot of wakeboarding this summer, and the people who own/drive the boat are always burning new CDs full of "core" music to blast at full volume on the water so nobody can think, talk or relax. I just don't get it. It makes the whole thing so unpleasant. You aren't allowed to turn it off or even suggest that it might not be "GREAT!" so you learn to just ignore it as best as you can. I even brought out earplugs one time. That helped.

When you pass another boat, they turn up their tunes too so you can hear how cool they are. You can almost see the Mountain Dew - X-Games - Snickers Bar - Chevy Trucks linkups floating in front of your cool-core-genX-genY-Xtreme-surf/skate/snow/BMX/MotoX/BigAir/XYZ-Cross jaded eyes...

When I lay this rant on people around here, a lot of them roll their eyes and say "Being 40 years old really sucks, bro!" and that is a fair comment, but I hated this intrusive loud music thing even back in high school.

I guess I just like peace and quiet too much for some action sports venues.

badmigs I was meaning music to listen to in the morning to get you moving, good ass shakin stuff to defrost your head in the morning and something to listen to in the car on the way up and when youre booting up etc.

Im still mixed about music when I ski though. Sometimes on a solo day it can make the lift times pass a bit quicker but I like to listen when Im skiing for the inevitiable "shiiiiiiit" from someone out of control and the music of my skis on the snow. But its a hassle turning it on off on off on off.

So I sing on the lift instead if there is no one around - and usually its what was last playing in the car before I took the keys out

Good on ya Zwelgen! Sorry, I didn't mean to direct my rant at you. It's this inner resentment at being called 40!

The only place safe for me to sing is in the car, alone...The only place there's zero chance of anybody hearing how bad I am.

\:\(

yep, music in the car, on the way is the only time for me - skiing with headphones on ruins the experience. i wanna hear what's going on... even if it's next to nothing \:\)

and hey, i thought i was the only one who sang on the lift \:D