No offence, but the suits aren't skin tight. They're made what looks like slightly large of a thin spongy material that holds its shape pretty well when not worn, not some lycra skin-hugging suit that looks so nice on the snowboarding slalom ladies \:D

Once you get past the nerve aspect, ski jumping is principally about catching the wind and staying balanced. In that sense a baggy sail-like suit would be ideal. The rulez sez

Quote:

Ski Jumping suit

All portions of the ski jumping suit must be made of the same material and must show a certain air permeability and a certain thickness as a maximum. The size of the suit must be conform to the body shape in an upright position with certain tolerances.

I don't know how warm something with a "certain air permeability and a certain thickness as a maximum" is going to be there cal. But I'm sure you could fit a Uniqlo fleece underneath

Funaki.gif

If that is skin-tight, then Mr Funaki must have some very mesomorphic arms to go with his ectomorphic neck. lol.gif

Such a nice colour as well, don't you think?

I think those suit are porous on the front and not on the back. Creates more lift when they are jumping. I went up to Hakuba for my first time two Octobers ago and was stunned when going over to the Olympic Jumping facilities that there were people launching off them. It was pretty amazing to see them fly live.

Never tried but one of my mates is one of the Austrian Nordic-Combined Coachs for the Ski Jumping. I watched him in the Czech republic jump 180 metres in warm-up. The maximum in the Olympics is about 130ish but you also only have a 120m run-in where he had over 140 m run-in and perfect wind. the record is somewhere around 220m

They do it in summer too. With that astro turf kinda stuff and they spray ir with water and make it all slippy dippy. They wore the same looking suits in summer too but I didnt go feel it so I dont really know. Crazy to watch those guys launching onto plastic grass, big ups for them. clap.gif