Gday all

First time Japow visit coming up (only 19 more sleeps till I fly out!!), but just wondering...

Getting a bit anxious with Naeba and then Hakuba as the first stops just after Christmas - is it common for the snow to start so late in Japan or is this just a really bad start for the season??

If someone has special forecasting powers and can alleviate my fears of boarding on grass that would be great!

Praying for dumps of powder in the next 19 days!

I have been mega excited about the recent dumps BUT I have been told to settle as mid to late december the dumps will become closer and more often. Some even say that you get sick of it snowing (NOT ME!!). So don't panic there should be plenty of POW by the time you go!! smile

Originally Posted By: thursday
Later than usual isn't it.

later than last year....I'm planning on this weekend but its not looking too good. I reckon I'm still gonna go, my bro goes home for Xmas net week so we were wanting to have a slide before Xmas. C'mon snow.....what are you waiting for?? wakaranai

I remember two years ago I went to Hakuba, I think 3 days before New Year - I got there and there was nothing in the valley and it was raining - you could ski up the top, but it was raining there too, so I spent the afternoon in an onsen. That night, the rain all turned to snow and there was a foot of fresh in the village when I woke up. By the time I left Hakuba, a couple of days later, there was over a meter in the village!

I remember that Gary. The first day I ever had boarding in Japan was a sunny christmas day at Nozawa. A few days later the rain arrived but during the bus trip to Hakuba it started snowing and man did it snow!!

I'm glad I made it back to Noz last year when there was 4m of snow cos the 70cm 2 years ago wasn't that impressive.

I too am starting to get a little nervous about the lack of snow forcast in the next week or so, i will be on the slopes in 2 weeks. Say worst case they only have say 50cm up on Yamabiko when we get there, Will it still be good boarding?

JJ,

With 50cm it won't be very good. You go to Japan for the pow, not a stale 50cm on trail.

I have been looking at 2 sea level pressure/precipitation models. One goes out 7 days and the other 2 weeks. The 2 week model has the siberian high establishing itself over mongolia on the 22nd. Pressures increasing in Mongolia from 1010mb to 1044mb. This will send a solid northwest flow down to Japan for the 23rd and 24th. That should be the start of the east asian winter monsoon. Looks like plenty of snow for Honshu and Hokkaido.

Its anyones guess how accurate that forecast is though.