Hey all, First post lol.

I've never been to the snow before let alone done any skiing and/or snowboarding. My little brother has and like so many of his friends has been bitten by the bug and now randomly rambles about dropping out of Uni to go work in the Ski fields here in Australia for a season….odd.

Anyway – I’m in need of a holiday and a very much planned Vegas vacation fell through the floor so I suggested we hit the ski fields in Japan. So myself (23) my brother (20) and one of my mates (also 23) will be travelling to Japan in late February to ski, party and relax with a touch of sight seeing shoved in there for good measure.

We’re aiming for 10 days to 2 weeks max. After general browsing through this forum and some ‘googling’ I discovered that Niseko seems to be the best place for Skiing and the night life, but because of this the place is packed to the rafters with foreigners. We deliberately said ‘no’ to this trip in New Zealand based on the fact we wanted something vastly different from Australia. So heading to Japan, to only be surrounded by 1000 Australians, is really not cool.

Consider us all beginners (though my brother will tell you otherwise) so that’s important when taking the place into consideration. We’re also fond of drinking and thus the night life, though this takes a back seat to the skiing on offer, and the general “Not in Australia anymore†feel we’re after.

In another forum a guy mentioned this:

“Most popular ski destinations are in Hokkaido and northern Honshu. Consider Zao-san in Yamagate Prefecture. From end of Dec. to mid March the next year people make special trip up there to see the “ice-tree monstersâ€. They are even lit up in the evenings from end of Jan. to early Mar. You can even ski among them. The cable car to get up the mt. is in Zao Onsen, a hot spring town with lovely indoor and outdoor spas. So you can enjoy skiing, sight-seeing and onsen experience in one place, a 3-in-1 combo.â€

Just thought I’d throw that in there as well.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you guys. If I've left any important information out feel free to ask!

I’m going to sift through all the posts on this forum now.

Cheers.

-Matt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt welcome to the forums wave

I can only speak of my experience in Niseko. You really can't compare NZ tourist experience with Niseko. I found Queenstown to be very like the Gold Coast (very Touristy). Niseko is a great introduction to your Japow Ski Experience, your whole experience will be very cool. They have some great beginner runs for the very inexperience.

Yes there were heaps of Aussies there BUT we also indulged totally in the Japanese experience. You can get by knowing very little Japanese.

We had a blast I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!! This is our second year to Niseko and with everything going well we will be going back to Furano 2010.

Oh cool...yeah I live in brisbane and I feel the Gold Coast is a bit over the top, I really want to get away from the 'western' feel if I can. I've printed out the skijapan 08/09 ski brochure and also obtained a list of all the resorts in Japan.

Is Nozawa Onsen any good? I know you may not be able to answer that question but hopefully someone can. I just like the idea that the palce has retained some of its traditional feel (cobblestone streets - though that might only be one street in the entire town lol)

I can read as much as I want but it seems that everywhere is "the best snow" or the "best runs" or "the best accomodation" etc. I really need hands on experience!!!

Ah well, I'm not booking till Decemeber so I have around a month to figure it all out.

thanks for your replies so far.

Niseko has been very popular and therefore been difficult to aquire late bookings....what the situation will be for Feb09 given the current financial crisis I do not know - you may well be lucky and score accomodation.

If you are not a Japan-ophile with a handle on the language I would think that you will definintely come away from Niseko with the feeling that you were NOT in Australia. It is more an atmostphere of a large group of Aussies (and others!) enjoying Japan, with a fair few assistive additions for those not brushed up on thier Nihongo. We ate Japanese food at resturants, spoke some Japanese with resort staff, and scratched out heads over the contents of jars and tins on the shelf in the supermarket (until I dragged my Japanese speaking/reading son down to translate for me!). I would love to try a different resort - something more tradtional - next time around....but Niseko is a fantastic introduction to Japan snow, and good enough for us to go back to three times so far.

As for terrain suited for beginners. Over our three trips to Niseko we have had beginners and experienced riders - and no one got bored. If you are going to learn then the soft dry JaPOW is SO much easier to fall on than the ice I learnt on at Thredbo. Instructors are recommended and will get you doing more quicker and enjoying yourself. There will be plenty to challenge your brother - my black riding kids loved the tighter tree's of Blueberry, and the deep powder of Strawberry Fields. One tip for the beginners though....don't let the Ace Family lift put you off going up on other lifts - I reckon THAT lift is the most difficult to get off of on the entire mountain!! Especially on a snowboard. Ace Quad is a doddle!

• SnowJapan Moderator
  • SnowJapan Moderator

Because our site is not about selling any particular place or area and in our position giving recommendations to certain resorts / areas / hotels etc would come across that way. We might give personal comments here and there, but no official SJ recommendations as such.

So you think we will struggle if we stayed somewhere less popular with the language barrier and all? Will it be that bad that the trip will be a write off?

As I mentioned above I like the sound of Nozawa Onsen. It might be important to mention that although it would be good for us to sort of ‘dip our toes in first’ instead of diving in straight away, we are the kind of people that like to start at the deep end…it makes it more fun the more lost you feel! I travelled to Vietnam by myself last year and had a blast.

I have been reading a fair bit this morning and again as I stated above everywhere seems to be ‘perfect’. So I’ll ask some specific questions:

By the looks of things the skiing is pretty good no matter where you go, for both beginners and intermediates. Is this true?

Even though Niseko is the most popular it seems that foreign numbers is not such a problem. Even so, what are less ‘foreign populated’ resorts, while still offering a decent array of things to do?

I guess it’s obvious but we are the kind of travellers that don’t like to stay on the beaten track. We like to get out and about and sort of blend in and not do the touristy stuff….though at the same time we do like to see some of them.

Sorry if I’m been very generalised. I am slowly getting an idea on how this all works though.

Thanks for the links as well. I have read some of them before but ill go through the others now.

Also as some of you have noted we may want to book ASAP! So this weekend is going to be nothing but research for me.

Cheers.

I don't think you would struggle at all. Totally not a bit worry. Have a spirit of adventure, perhaps book with a place that has at least a bit of English-speaking ability - and just enjoy it. That's what I say.

Nozawa is a great resort and you'll see in the reviews on this site etc that it is one of the most popular and you don't often hear people say negative things about it. Good choice of terrain, usually very good snow, nice little village.

I live fairly close by in Iiyama city, and Kijimadaira, Shiga Kogen and Madarao are all fairly close to me too. (Might be worth mentioning I'm not involved in the snow business at all - I just enjoy using it!)

You will be surprised, how many resorts have English speaking staff, even the small places. Of course the number of staff tends to be limited, but usually someone can speak enough to help you.

Even if they don't, not the end of the world, think of it as a cultural experience, and they normally always happy to help you out. Body language and a pen and paper goes a long way. That's what I do when I travel to another country where I don't speak the lingo.

As for resorts, the above recommended are great I think, you might also want to try somewhere like Nakazato, yuzawa in Niigata, that is a big resort, sod all foreighners very much Japanese atmosphere and surroundings, and has slopes to suit all levels. If you can get accomodation around there. Also I there are other resorts close by that you can probably access by train, bus or taxi from there.

I believe you can also higher all the gear too. Actually if you go to any of the less popular resorts you will not see many foreighners at all and may well be pleasantly surprised. Without a car sometimes transportation may be your main problem. Where ever you choose, you won't be disapointed as Japan as some of the best snow in the world and usually plenty of it! Enjoy!

I tend not to go to the big named resorts for that reason, I like to be able to ski peacefully without bumping into lots of gaijin everywhere.

Quote:
you might also want to try somewhere like Nakazato, yuzawa in Niigata, that is a big resort

Surely you don't mean Nakazato? It's a small place and not much of a challenge for people beyond beginner. I wouldn't really recommend Nakazato to anyone but a beginner.

I would personally suggest Maiko just 10 minutes from Yuzawa. That is much bigger, higher up, better snow and still not crowded. And you can take pics like this

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section_tag.php?tag=Maiko%20Korakuen

Here's my This is Maiko vid from last season

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=d3c3b8269faf0ba7491d
Originally Posted By: Mattaus
So you think we will struggle if we stayed somewhere less popular with the language barrier and all? Will it be that bad that the trip will be a write off?

Not at all.
But I also don't think you will feel like you are at Thredbo or Cardrona if you stay in Niseko...

Go with your gut.

Yes because mattaus said thay are beginners and that would be good for them. Compared to hakuba and such like it is small, but it is still a decent size for anyone starting out. I would not say that Nakazato is only for begginers, definately some reasonbly challenging courses there for up to around intermediate. Yes Maiko is good too, I have been there.

OK I see, get you. smile

If I was taking someone skiing for the first time in this area, it would without question be IWAPPARA - perfect for beginners with that huge long wide gentle main slopes.

Views are great too.

Cool! biggrin

Now I'm getting a feel for this all. I'm getting an idea on where I'd like to stay BUT Thursday is right (I'm been a pain in the bum lol)...we want a good, almost traditional holiday but then again we like to party (how stupid does that sound?)

If we had to pick id defintely say we'd sacrifice the partying for the snow.

Still, some sort of nightlife would be good.

I forgot about the review section so I might go check that out as it would probably help!

Sorry if I'm going around in circles here.

I agree with iiyama, go with a sense of adventure and try out a place that's not overly popular with the foreign crowd.

I've been living in the Niseko area for close on 4 years now and absolutely love it but recognise that this area is not 'real Japan'. It's one of the main reasons I love living here but for yourself may not be what you're really looking for.

Definitely. I love those times when I get in the car and just go out to places that I do not know and have to struggle along. I know it's easy to say that living here in Japan, but I'm sure I was like that when I first came here too (if not more so than now!)

I'm sure you will find some kind of nightlife anywhere - from the foreign-influenced to the more traditional. Since this is your first trip to Japan, I'd suggest trying somewhere on Honshuu. If you are interested in things Japanese, you'll find more interesting cultural things there - you really have to dig deep and travel far afield to find any traces of "old Japan" up in Hokkaido!

Hmm...I posted a reply before but for some reason I can't see it.

Because I'm too lazy to write it all again I had one question (well lots of questions, just one topic):

Everywhere says its the best place. I'm sure there all very different but in terms of the skiing, are they all fine? Like nice powder, good runs for beginners and intermediates, and good weather most of the time?

Are there places I should definitely avoid? And are there certain areas that have many resorts that would be the best to look at?

As it stands I have a few places I THINK would be good, I just need something to set it all apart.

Lol, good weather I mean snowing. Dark skies don't matter thats for sure.

On another note a work collegue apparently went to japan at the start of the year and recommended Furano. He said it wasnt crowded like Niseko or anything and would be right down my alley.

Thoughts?

Though i still like the sound of Nozawa Onsen...but only because it has "latern-lit cobblestone streets in the description"....lol.

Furano sounds good for what you're after. It's a nice town with plenty of good restaurants and places to hang out to have a few lagers. It gets great quality snow and the slopes would be good for your level.