Which do you choose - more expensive or smaller portions?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Tonight I was down the local izakaya and noticed that while the price had stayed the same, portions were noticeably smaller than what I am used to. I was very disappointed, realised I'd rather pay a bit more and get what I expect rather than get less for the same. In the supermarket there seem to be some suspiciously smaller packages going round these days.

So, which would you prefer (other than the obvious low cost + tons of quantity option!)

Can't we have both options...

For some people they are prepared to pay a certain amount for an item, and would prefer (or require) the price to be stable and the quantity be reduced....especially for luxury indulgences.

However if you need 500g of ground beef mince to make a family meal, then you need 500g....if it costs more it costs more.

But if both options are available people have the choice that they want.

I think in japan people would accept the smaller portion rather than a price increase. Inflation is just non existent, look at a bottle of coke and the price rise between 1997-2008 when I was there. 30yen!

Originally Posted By: me jane
I would rather have smaller portions and a cheaper price. Restaurants in Japan often let you pay a bit extra for a bigger portion of rice or pasta but don't have the opposite.

Coco ichi does MJ. Smaller rice = big off!

if I was in america, I'd def go for smaller portions. The yank sized meals are just obscene.

A few years back, an american restaurant here offered free meal if you could eat a 32oz ribeye in 1 hour. For crissakes, that is 2 llbs of meat. And don't forget to order diet coke.

Quote:
Restaurants in Japan often let you pay a bit extra for a bigger portion of rice or pasta but don't have the opposite.

Hmmm. Seen big rice +200 yen or whatever a fair bit, but other than that nothing much like that.

The question being less for the same or more for more I would most definitely go with keeping volume. Most places here don't really give me enough anyway.
Originally Posted By: thursday
if I was in america, I'd def go for smaller portions. The yank sized meals are just obscene.

A few years back, an american restaurant here offered free meal if you could eat a 32oz ribeye in 1 hour. For crissakes, that is 2 llbs of meat. And don't forget to order diet coke.

That reminds me years ago in one of my local pubs, they use to have this special deal, if you could eat a 1kg stake and large portion of chips and all the trimmings to go, then you didn't have to pay for the meal. To say the least not many people managed to get the free meal.
Me and a few mates of mine tried it, some of us got through it, but was really hard to get through. Not many succeeded, so the pub was on a winner there. There were always men trying to see if they could eat it especially with their mates together.
Don't know if that pub is still doing it or not.

As far as meals go here, I usually go for quantity, regardless of price, because virtually everywhere here give such small bird portions that I am still hungry when I come out of the restaurant anyway. I like the few places that offer unlimited rice, unfortunately to few and far between.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
]

That reminds me years ago in one of my local pubs, they use to have this special deal, if you could eat a 1kg stake and large portion of chips and all the trimmings to go,

Noway I could do that - I mean seriously a 1kg stake, large portion of chips and trimmings - who could ever eat that much wood and weeds?! wink

now watch him edit it to make ME look stupid razz

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: snowdude
]

That reminds me years ago in one of my local pubs, they use to have this special deal, if you could eat a 1kg stake and large portion of chips and all the trimmings to go,

Noway I could do that - I mean seriously a 1kg stake, large portion of chips and trimmings - who could ever eat that much wood and weeds?! wink

now watch him edit it to make ME look stupid razz

Apart from the spelling error (which I didn't even notice initially - love the way the brain just accepts the near enough rule...)...I think particularly in this current age when obesity is in epidemic proportions that all you can eat and eat this massive meal and get it for free promotions are WAY more irresponsible than the good old Happy Hour at the pub, which has gone by the wayside due to Responsible Service of Alcohol laws.

All you can eat I can understand. You pay the one amount and everyone in the family has what they need ... the 6ft tall teenager that just finished all day sports would be a lot hungrier than Mum for example. But too often I see people simply displaying overt gluttony to 'get thier moneys worth'. However the 'eat this massive meal and get it free' is just unbelievably irresponsible and stupid.

Definitely. I hate seeing things like that.

There was another eating contest on the tv over the weekend. You know the kind where they eat 20 bowls of ramen in 10 minutes, then 40 ebi-fry the next etc. "O-jouzu desu ne" came the admiring calls from the sidelines.. wtf?

Well I have to say it was good to try and eat it all, guess as I have always been a big eater so that appealed to me, but it is true in many ways it is maybe irresponsible of the pubs to do that nowadays with the amount of obesity that exists. Having said that I am going back about 15 years ago or so.

But if there are any big eating competitions then I have to say I would still happily participate, whether it is irresponsible of the eating establishment or not!