Im getting to the stage of booking my accomadation and just wondering how best to use my time and experience some of the highlights whilst ensuring I have a holiday which I will sorely need by Mid Jan. My current plan was to spend 3 nights/2 days in Tokyo on arrival, head up to Hakuba for 24 nights then fly home.

Im just interested to hear people's views on what they have done, places they have gone etc. One thought I had was to have a 4 day break and go somewhere else in the middle of the trip but Im really not sure so am open to ideas etc.

Thanks for your input.

I would not spend 24 nights in Hakuba.

Why not take a week or so in the middle of that and get yourself off to Shiga Kogen > Snow Monkeys > Nozawa Onsen?

That would be a big improvement on just staying in one place if you ask me.

If you did that, it would be a good way to stay in 2 different places in Hakuba as well.

I'd have a week in hakuba, a week in Shiga Kogen, 4 days or so in Nozawa, over to Myoko for another 4 and then... do I have any left... maybe over to, er, somewhere else.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. Im keen to see as much as I can without LOTS of travel as Im working in a rather intense role and will need to unwind a little, so maybe 3-4 moves max???. Obviously Hakuba is on the list of things to do and stay but thats about the limit of my reserach except thinking I want to stay away from masses of Aussies smile

Please feel free to suggest an route. Travelling alone the current Plan is arrive Narita 8pm Sat Jan 24 and I had planned to stay in Tokyo until the Tuesday morning then make my way to the snow. Next plan was back to Tokyo Fri Feb 19 to fly out Sat night. Really am open between those dates. would certainly like to see a little more then just the mountain including snow monkeys etc.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks again everyone for the input. I did a bit of research last night and spoke with a couple of East Coast mates and hopefully they may come for a week or so. Based on that Im thinking of heading to Shiga Kogen for the 1st week as it appears there will be plenty of green runs for my mates girls and plenty of blue for me and the boys to get back into the swing of things. Should also give us plenty of options for the evenings plus the snow monkeys etc. Is there a particular area there where the resturants/bars are centred around? After that Im not so sure..... but appreciate the input and it looks like a plan is formulating with your help.

Shiga Kogen as I understand it, has nothing by way of nightlife outside the hotels at the base of the slopes. There is no real village to speak of, just a few hotels dotted about the place

It doesn't - but that is part of the appeal for many. If you want loud parties, then SK is not the place for you. There are onsen, a small number of bars in the main areas and places within hotels.

Just either look on it as a chance and relax, or wear yourself out in the wonderful snow they get up there.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Pete, you gonna buy that place in echoland this year?

Thats a good question actually and Im still quite open to the idea and havijg a really good look was ceratinly part of this trip. I'll be staying at TJ's and am certainly planning on chatting with him about his experiences and hopefully Fattwins too. I am at a bit of a juncture in my personal life but have a great job, unlike last time I was talking about this. Obviously issues like the global economic state will come into play.

If I had a month I'd get a car and take in a few places. I'd spent a couple of weeks in Nagano maybe and then drive up to somewhere in Tohoku and explore a bit there maybe Yamagata and Fukushima.