• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent a season in Revelstoke in BC many years ago, working for CMH Heli-skiing. It's an area that receives similar amounts of snow (if not more) than Niseko. Avalanches were a daily occurrence there

How many skiers/boarders who ski the backcountry in Niseko actually carry a shovel, probe and transceiver?

I will admit to skiing the backcountry in Niseko last season for the first time and not carrying any of this equipment but I wouldn't choose to do it again. Hence, why I will be taking all this equipment with me this season.

I did notice that there was a lot of other skiers and boarders who were riding the backcountry last season without even a backpack never mind avalanche safety equipment!

I suppose that it goes back to my original question for this thread..."does it avalanche in Niseko?" Perhaps there were a lot of people who didn't (doesn't) believe that it avalanches in Niseko!

I was shocked at the punters going out gate 4 (?) just above Hanazono 3 and traversing across half of the mtn – blatantly ski cutting it, dropping in on top of each other, and just not having a F’ing clue nor any common sense. Some people were traversing above groups and dropping in on others traversing across. I, for one, would never ski the peak with gapers like that. And the ones who were coming back to Hanazono on the summer road, almost none of them had any gear. On top of that, the ones I saw coming back out were white, non-Japanese, and prolly Aussies.. punters. Im sure there were just as many Japanese doing the same thing…

At the end of the day you can only make people aware that dangers exist. And I think they are doing a reasonable job of this. If people still choose to head out without gear, well it's their choice. I've never really seen the problem. So some people may die? As long as it doesn't stuff it up for the rest of us I couldn't care less. Let people be responsible (or not) for themselves, the rest of us don't have to worry about them.

Originally Posted By: popshuvit
Does ski patrol in Japan 'bomb' unstable snowpacks to trigger avalanches in order to make it safer, like they do in other countries?

No there is no avalanche control measures at any ski resorts in Japan. At Niseko Village they have done some bombing in the off limits area of Mizuno no Sawa in an attempt to convince the government they can manage this area safely but to no avail, it's still off limits.
  • 9 months later...
Originally Posted By: Black Diamond
Sorry CB, have to disagree with you a bit. Some areas in Niseko are closed simply because they've never been opened or managed properly. Case in point, Mizu no sawa. The management have done testing and blasting for three years and it's the local gov't who are blocking this area and others from opening simply because they don't care and don't need the hassle. I'm not even sure that the local "avie group" is even trying to help speed up the process. Someone did die there many years ago but please don't tell me that these closed areas are any more dangerous than the areas that they do open (besides the guts of haru no taki). The Higashiyama resort even had an avalanche risk assesment expert from Canada visit, train staff and survey the mizu no sawa area. His verdict was that it would be most stable and safest if people simply skied it regularly. Of course there will be dangerous days for these areas too and they should be managed accordingly.
The "Niseko Local Rules" (and I cringe at that name, but that's a whole other topic) were created to relieve the pressure of people wanting to ski off piste and in my opinion is a bandage that will break as soon as there is another avie accident anywhere in the Niseko area. That said at least they are doing something and are informing people. Unfortunately they are not acting on behalf of the Japan avi association as a large Japan-wide body giving it more unity and strength.
Then you have most places in Hokkaido like Rusutsu who turn a blind eye to skiing off piste even though it is officially forbidden and finally places like Asahidake where you can ski anywhere you like and could easily die from an avalanche or getting lost. How the hell is the average punter going to know the diference!!??
An international resort (asahidake is not a resort mind you) should accomodate international tourists and operate at international standards. Not a new or novel idea.
Sorry to vent and I know a bit off topic, but still love Japan... minus the cross-armed oyagis.

This is what I am wondering when compared to UT. I heard the avalanche management isn't nearly like it is here. The canyons close here if a moose sneezes in precaution of avalanches. I have got to go out with some patrollers at snowbird and watching them throw grenades is pretty cool.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
You can't compare avie danger here to UT. At least here in Niseko the snowpack, climate and height of the mountains couldn't be much more different to UT.

I understand that. I was talking from managerial perspective. I know conditions vary wildly, but I was inquiring about how much effort goes into maintaining resort avalanches as compared to that of UT.

No effort at all at control except recent moves to get Mizuno no Sawa open at Niseko Village where they have used some bombing. Many resorts basically have a no off-piste skiing at all policy or they turn a blind eye to people who do it. Niseko does have a gate system to access some off-piste areas and they will close the gates if the risk of avies is reasonably high. They do no other actual control measures though. There are a few other resorts now bringing in a similar gate system I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really Korbzy - it isn't that simple as "snow on mountain, then it can avalanche".

From what I have been reading from other people on here, depends on packing, angle of slope, weather conditions and loading.

• 1 month later...

a couple of things must be present for an avalanche.

1 snow

2 bed surface, an avalanche must have a surface to slide on.

3 slope angle of 30 and above usually does the trick

4 a trigger which can either be human or natural.

Other natural features also create problems. Convex rolls, loaded gullies or lee ward slopes, cornice areas.

Natural avalanches are usually a good sign of in-stability and in Niseko the highest danger period is usually during or right after the storm. Wind events can change this

I heard this evening that there was an avalanche death today out of bounds at Rusutsu. Haven't got any detailed information but it was certainly not a great day to head out of bounds with avie danger extreme in the region.

They were skiing on Shiribetsu dake which is outside of the resort boundary off West Mt of Rusutsu. It was definitely not the best day to ski this mountain which is prone to avalanches.