• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fattwins said>>

Quote:
Anytime around new years will see 100% booking and prices tripling for accom. Anywhere. New Years is crazy and it will be busy liftlines and such. That is the way it works here.
Im sure thats the case, but the thing is, I find it hard to believe niseko could be "Aussie resort on a powder day" busy, as Hirafu is quite a small town & the ski area is quite large... i'm pretty tempted to risk it & hope for the best, as we have secured a reasonably priced & very bloody nice apartment there... & i figure not too many people will find my secret powder stashes \:D

im also hoping that most people will be there mainly to party, so first lifts shouldnt be too competitive...? wakaranai.gif

here are the updates from last year.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/shownow1.php?month=12&year=2002&town=Niseko%20Now!

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/shownow1.php?month=01&year=2003&town=Niseko%20Now!

Dude its a long holiday going on for 2 to 3 weeks. Every company giving different vacations days. Sometimes it goes a week off then a couple days later 4 days off its really strange. I have been stuck in an hour long liftline once in Hakuba if the resort cant open everything.

S-F-G

I think for the most part this board is very controlled. It is by far not as childish and petty as some other boards out there. I do welcome you back.

The ride side of the site is lacking at the moment, any company is welcome.

Powder to the People.

Im getting an itch

The old bosses staff house is half filled with staff and half filled with anyone elce who wants to live there. If you share a room it was cheaper. Bit of a walk to the pub though. That was a couple of three years ago though, apparantly things are a bit (completely) different now so I have no idea about current situation. And you can be sure there were no toilet seat warmers - not even toilet seats.

Fattwins (et al): I was at Niseko last New Year's holiday and it wasn't too crowded. We didn't have to wait in lift lines for more than 5 minutes on any given day. Perhaps we had to wait 10 minutes for the last gondola once or twice.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm booked in, locked & loaded!

arrive in niseko 24/12/03, leave 4/1/04 (then onto hakkoda... my full itinerary is in my "need help" thread, if anyone is interested)

thanks everyone who gave me such invaluable tips \:\)

so who'll be there over xmas? anyone? i'll have my missus & another couple with me.

Lift lines= waste of time? I don't know about Niseko but Hakuba lift lines have never been a problem & I expect it's similar up there. I waited almost an hour in NZ (Mt Hutt) in a lift line on a powder day-never had that problem in Hakuba-New Years or not.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
not me mate, never booked one.

But you are paying more than I did for a 3 week trip to the swiss alps.
...ahem, does that include the business class flight your work paid for? shifty.gif

...sorry.

So I think I am maybe gonna be there, possibly from the first week of January-ish to the first-ish week of February. Do I need to figure this out like right now because everyplace will fill up and or the best deals will evaporate? When does the Holiday peak period for new years end?

Also, does anybody know if any of the main chalet-like places have internet hook ups...and if anybody is gonna tell me to leave my computer at home than shut the hell up because I am going for a damn month and I know you are just as addicted to the internet as I am.

yo ender...

from what I understand, niseko is not very wired...there is an internet cafe somewhere on "the main strip", but as for internet at any of the pensions...not sure about that.

you best get your ass in gear and get booking cause january is the busiest time there...

danz

yo...im heading to that expo today after work...5ish...you coming?

Low pressure lover, it's just my impression that even during New Years the lines I've experienced were never much more than 10 mins and maybe 20mins max. First thing when they're trying to open stuff up could be different as Fattwins suggests. The slopes are crowded but that only matters if you're on them-personally I try to avoid the runs. A little lateral thinking goes a long way in Japan, for many people it's a case of follow everyone else.

Good news ender. Nice long stint in Niseko!!

If you find out a place to hook up your computer I'd be interested to find out more. As for normal internet access there are a couple of places that i went to last season. B's cafe has one computer and from memory i think it was the cheapest. It is on the main road up to the mountain. Pow Pow's also has an internet computer and the Snowave Chalet also has couple.

But yeah, if you find more about hooking up your computer can you let me know?

• 4 weeks later...

So my trip is coming up pretty quick and although the snow levels are down I am still pretty exited. I should be able to get some powder turns in on groomed runs at first and hopefully by Janurary will be off the groomed and getting some great runs.

So going through the list of this post. Here are the people that will be there when I am.

Crazyski

Jared

Spook

Powwwers

IM

Danz

Shimba

Low Pressure Lover

.db.

and myself Toque

So hope to see some of you either on the runs or in the bar. If on the runs on a powder day look for the noisy cackling Gaijin with the Bigstix and Orange Arteryx Jacket if not powder then the blue 1080's.

And if your not on the list then you know where you belong. I am there 12/21 - 01/11.

well sh!t!

looks like we should have a proper sj piss-up...

Im staying at the hirafu chalet...fattys is a cool little pub right next door...lets grab some beers and talk about the deep turns we made earlier in the day

danz

Cool - I'm there in a week - & it looks like its going to dump continously at least until then! clap.gif

Will try & keep an eye out for you guys... I ride a black Sims board, & have a black/red burton jacket, a black helmet & blue mambo pants.