I decided to defrag my computers drive this morning. That was at 11am. It's still going. I really want to turn the thing off, but worried that if I do that it might cause more problems and maybe best to sit it out. My drive is 400GB in size with half of that full of tons of stuff, so I thought it might take a while but it has been 4 hours now! Is that too long?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't take that long I got the same size drive and usually only takes a few minutes, I think the last time I did it it took about 10-15 mins, having said that my drive was not fragmented. If your drive is badly fragmented then that could be the reason, but 4 hours does seem rather over the top.

You can kill the process anytime, it shouldn't effect the drive as it is only moving files back into there correct position on the drive to make it easy for the computer to find them again, but if you don't need to use the computer for a while then just leave it be. It should tell you how it has progressed, as long as it is increasing all the time it is working, if it is still stuck at the same amount of progress for ages then better to terminate it and start again.

It took for ages once on my computer. I think it was the first time I had done it, so maybe that takes longer. Didn't notice much of a change after though, don't know if it did much good.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Vista doesn't show progress - just says "may take from a few minutes to a few hours" or something like that.

I thought Vista defrags itself automatically??

How do you manually defrag on Vista?

It can take a LONG time. Once last year it took 14 hours on a drive that had not been done before. See online for horror stories of a whole day being taken etc.

3rd party is better and much quicker than the one in Windows.

Get this. I took the pc home and let it run last night. Still going. And STILL going this morning!!!

omg

Thats over 20 hours!!

Anyway I had enough of that, and downloaded the Auslogics one mentioned above - once I got that installed it got the job done within 1 hour. WTF?!

Defrag? the defrag tool that comes standard with windows is rubbish, don't waste your time, if you are genuinely interesting in defragging and maintaining an optimum HDD then get a decent defrag tool made by someone else.

IMO the best tool out there is "Diskeeper"

Though if you are the type think IE is good browser then please ignore this advice and keep using the Microsoft standard one.

Like I said, used Auslogics one and it was quick. So I will use that.

I will also more than likely keep on using IE because there is little reason to change after trying other alternatives.

Thanks! smile

maybe, JM, but the system does a fair bit of that sort of stuff in the background. And some of the temp files are not removed. SO, it's often a good idea to do a disk cleanup too, trash all the orphan temp files, get rid of heaps of internet cache files and then defrag.

OK, the cache wiill slow down the net refreshes a bit, but the rest of teh functions will be faster.

I also have the "page file" on my data drive, it's a 500G, so there's plenty of space on it! That relieves the system drive of that overhead too.

From wiki ...

Quote:
In computer operating systems that have their main memory divided into pages, paging (sometimes called swapping) is a transfer of pages between main memory and an auxiliary store, such as hard disk drive. Paging is an important part of virtual memory implementation in most contemporary general-purpose operating systems, allowing them to use disk storage for data that does not fit into physical RAM. Paging is usually implemented as architecture-specific code built into the kernel of the operating system.

In effect, it is a way of allowing the computer to operate with software that takes more memory than is physically available. It does this by loading the 'common' parts of the software into main memory (RAM) and then, if something else is needed, swapping the least usded modules to page file and getting the required module, using it and then getting the other one back in case it is needed.

Other advantages of the page file include the possibility to do what most of us do with out thinking about it, ie having outlook, firefox (with multiple tabs) as well as Excel and Word open "at the same time". When you swap between applications, the current status of the 'old' app is paged and the status of the 'new' ap loaded from page.

All this activity results in a badly fragmented area on the disk. Sometimes good to delete the page file completely and rebuild it after a defrag - but I wouldn't even consider this unless you are SURE you know what you're doing.

:techo stuff finished:

JA if you have done any benchmarking on normal use desktop computers before and after a defrag I'd be interested is seeing the stats. I've never seen a noticeable speed increase from defragmentation except on heavily used servers.

Also serious pagefile fragmentation is quite unusual as the pagefile doesn't normally change size a lot. While paging and swapping make extensive use of the pagefile, the disk doesn't get fragmented because the pagefile locations are nearly static. This is one of the major reasons for having a single large pagefile.

The point I'd like to make is there are various ways of speeding a computer up and defraging is low on the list. Defragging PC's is often slow and doesn't achieve much. This is because modern operating systems are generally very good at avoiding the problem.

If anyone is looking to speed their Windows computer back up to its original speed, try cleaning out the registry. This is quick and can make a big difference. JA, do you know what the current good free ones are? Someone also mentioned the disk clean up tool - this is also very worthwhile.

JM,

I have on (at home) so cannot get to it ATM. Will edit this when I can.

As for benchmarking, No, done none, but have 'anecdotal evidence' only. I'd be interested too.

I mentioned the windows cleanup - it is a bit chotto, but!

l8r

Originally Posted By: Journey Man

If anyone is looking to speed their Windows computer back up to its original speed, try cleaning out the registry. This is quick and can make a big difference. JA, do you know what the current good free ones are?

I currently use RegCure.