Hi All,

(Go easy on the newbie) Basically I've been getting a bit bored with my current job lately and have decided to take 6 months off at the end of the year for a working holiday and ski Japan, and Im trying to get a job and everything set-up before I go.

So far I've only seen a few jobs such as on these forums, but also boobooki and am also trying to get one off hokkaidotracks, any other places I've missed

I've gone the furthest with boobooski and they have a few destinations (not paticular resorts) listed; Hokkaido, Niigata, Shiga-Kogen, Nagano and Gifu, anyone recommend which of these would be the best to ski, meet people and just have fun basically? I've discussed going to Hokkaido with the company but theyre all suggesting I try a quieter resort town with less people and more snow.

Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Just to clear up I've been through all the resort pages, start here page, and the jobs page on this site etc and I just cant find much on the working/holiday thing apart from jobs page and was more after some personal experiences

Obviously my search skills are terrible as I couldnt find much in particular after searching through about 15 pages of threads, most threads I found suggested getting to the fields and then trying but I was looking for something else.

Will try again!

I met a number of young Aussies working in Hakuba last season who were sourced jobs by Boobooski. The ones I spoke to were pretty unhappy about their work situation and lack of support given from boobooski if any problems due to their employment arose. They also disliked being payed about 3/4 of the pay that others were being payed for the same job.

I dont know if the ones I spoke to were simply moaners who thought it might have been more like a holiday than an actual job that they came to Japan for but if what they told me was correct I personally wouldnt apply for jobs through this company. But I guess if you have no other options its at least one way of getting a job.

Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
I met a number of young Aussies working in Hakuba last season who were sourced jobs by Boobooski. The ones I spoke to were pretty unhappy about their work situation and lack of support given from boobooski if any problems due to their employment arose. They also disliked being payed about 3/4 of the pay that others were being payed for the same job.
I dont know if the ones I spoke to were simply moaners who thought it might have been more like a holiday than an actual job that they came to Japan for but if what they told me was correct I personally wouldnt apply for jobs through this company. But I guess if you have no other options its at least one way of getting a job.

Exactly what I was after, cheers Krusty. It appears boobooski will be paying $900 a month after tax, dividied by 4 x 40 hour weeks and u get roughly $5.60 an hour after tax which is, lets be honest pretty rough so hearing the pay thing does not surprise me, but they do supply accomodation/food at the same time and Im not sure if all resorts do this.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
what line of work would be a good start for people trying to advise you?

I am more than happy to work the ski lifts and stuff, essentially what boobooski described was pretty standard stuff, helping people on off the lifts, clearing paths monitoring stations etc, getting away from a computer 4-5 months is what Im thinking of doing, also would be happy to work in a hotel at the front desk, or doing bar work, etc. Im not the best skiier but im trying to get better so instructor, etc is out of the question.

In Niseko depending on who you work for you'll probably be lucky to get Y1,000 per hour and may be expected to work up to 6 days a week. You'll then have to pay for all your own food (beer) and accommodation. The accommodation will usually cost you minimum Y40,000 per month. You may or may not get an individual lift pass provided (depending on where you work and in what position).

So to be honest your $5.60 and hour with accomm and food included isn't sounding all that bad. Let's face it most seasonal work at ski resorts is not exactly career building stuff. It's for a bit of fun mainly for uni students on summer breaks. There are more senior seasonal positions but most of these are filled by returning staff (who follow winter around the world). And most of the good jobs are filled by permanent staff.

There are virtually no on-mountain jobs in Niseko like lifties as all these positions are filled by Japanese (weird huh?). There are some positions in Japanese run pensions but most jobs are with the foreign owned property management and tour operators.

If you managed to get through the whole winter and take any money home with you, you've definitely not partied hard enough!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
In Niseko depending on who you work for you'll probably be lucky to get Y1,000 per hour and may be expected to work up to 6 days a week. You'll then have to pay for all your own food (beer) and accommodation. The accommodation will usually cost you minimum Y40,000 per month. You may or may not get an individual lift pass provided (depending on where you work and in what position).
So to be honest your $5.60 and hour with accomm and food included isn't sounding all that bad. Let's face it most seasonal work at ski resorts is not exactly career building stuff. It's for a bit of fun mainly for uni students on summer breaks. There are more senior seasonal positions but most of these are filled by returning staff (who follow winter around the world). And most of the good jobs are filled by permanent staff.
There are virtually no on-mountain jobs in Niseko like lifties as all these positions are filled by Japanese (weird huh?). There are some positions in Japanese run pensions but most jobs are with the foreign owned property management and tour operators.
If you managed to get through the whole winter and take any money home with you, you've definitely not partied hard enough!

Thanks for that. Essentially Im there to experience the culture, board but also have fun so the money thing isnt a big deal to me, it just still kind of hits you that you're only earning $AUD5.60 per hour but like you said Im getting free lift pass, accomodation and food so its a pretty sweet gig.

I've tried to go commercial companies as I said (such as Hokkaido Tracks as theyre the only one I can find at the moment) but theyre jobs are obviously much more limited and I feel are better suited to bi-lingual staff or returning staff. It seems that a place like boobooski that takes care of everything for you; jobs, accomodation, food, etc would be my only shot but I'd love to do my own thing as well.

Not leaving till December so still have plenty of time to check, but everyones advice and wisdom has been great so far.

hi there.

i'm thinking to go to hakuba this seasion from dec-april.

i looked on so many website and this forum but i couldn't get the information on the seasion pass.

can i buy 1 seasion pass to all the resorts in hakuba or are they sell separatly?

how much is it cost if i can buy 1 seasion pass for all the resorts in hakuba?

thank you

• SnowJapan Moderator

(I don't have the info with me right now, sorry, but I just want to note that this kind of information will be added to our pages after summer when we make quite a lot of updates on useful general information).

• SnowJapan Moderator

You can get a season pass for Naeba.

I'm not 100% sure on this but if I remember correctly, Shiga Kogen does 3, 5 and 10 day passes, and not sure about a full season - but that is for the full Shiga Kogen region (ie from Yokoteyama down to Okushiga Kogen).

Actually we have info from last season here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/spotlight/shiga-kogen.html

well, i'm going for 4-5 months of snowboarding and i'm looking for a resort that offer in 1 seasion pass a large place to board + good snow park + good snow.

it will not help me to go to such a resort that just offer small area for boarding under 1 seasion pass because i will get bord very fast. i don't want also to find myself need to buy 10 different passes to 10 different resort in the same area because it will cost me to much.

if you have any sugestion where to go i will be happy to hear it.

thanks again

Other than very early and late season when only a few isolated places are open, ALL lift tickets for Shiga Kogen are for all of the resorts in Shiga Kogen.