You know, the 1 time I experienced "powder", I found it hard to come to terms with and I didn't enjoy it as much as the other times I have been when it has been "less than powder".

So - --- is it really all it's hyped up to be, or is it just hype and cool?

(A serious question, honest)

Powder takes some getting used to, and it's certainly not the only good thing. But when you can ride it properly, it's not to be sniffed at.

Finding some slightly gone-off 'creamy powder' is the best. ;\)

There are so many aspects to riding powder that make it by far and away the most sought-after snow experience.

Looking down and seeing nothing thats not the way nature intended it to be. FRESH

Face shots- there you go Fattwins.

Leaning way back and watching the nose floating on the POW.

Effortless carving on steep open bowls.

Leaning way over, arm near head/ear.

Looking back up, adrenaline pumping, and seeing your tracks.

It doesn't hurt when you crash.

I love powder, I'm a boarder and I'm sure a skier can give you their perspective on POW too.

bugger me, if I saw a coconut in the snow I would have taken a picture as well.

Personally, I like powder if for no other reason than it is an amazing product of nature. It is very unique.

Are you a skier? Skiing pow is a lot more rhythmical and a lot more difficult.

If you're a boarder and didn't like getting bogged down, stomp down on your back leg and don't turn as much. If that doesn't work go somewhere steeper. Remember pow minus speed equals sink \:\( . When there is pow about, falls onto snow aren't going to hurt. In terms of your setup, put your bindings back as far as they will go and crank up the angles. Generally the bigger your board the better, though big boards are not as maneuverable in the trees where a lot of Japan's lift-accessible pow lies.

Part of learning to ride pow is learning to avoid what is unridable. When it gets really deep, your options can become very limited and you may just have to straightline the steepest thing you can find.

If you do get bogged down, give up immediately, take off your board and walk/swim to somewhere with a decent gradient or back to the groomed. Trying to start again in deep pow will just exhaust you and line all your gear with a layer of sweat that will turn extremely cold when you get back on the lift.

I like the feel of riding pow when its still coming down heavily, though there's scope for doing a lot more when you can actually see where you're going lol.gif .

If youre a skier then Im not surprised at your thoughts on powder. It took me a while to get the knack of it and I remember thinking "is this supposed to be fun?". And 100% agree with NoFakie, you need plenty of speed. Powder is going to give you heaps more friction than youre used to so you gotta combat that. the plus is that it doesnt hurt. And try and keep your legs a little more close together than you usually would on the piste so youre hitting the same kind of stuff at the same time and one leg doesnt get dragged off etc

However if you are a boarder ignore all the above

I think you should beware of the idea that 'powder can't hurt you'.

Powder often comes with trees which hurt. But a violent wipeout in powder can also half break your neck, back, legs, and arms, which all hurt. An impact with deep powder itself won't hurt, but you can still fall and tumble in any number of hurtful ways.

Dig your front end in at speed and see how much damage you can do...

If you're a complete beginner, it's best to stay out of it. It's usually a limited commodity, and besides having a horrible time yourself, you'll piss off people who can enjoy it. Best to stick to the groomers and learn to ride well there.

Then start riding on the sides of the groomers where there's powder, to get used to the different riding style.

Then when the different feeling no longer throws you, head for the deeps, and heaven. \:\)

I really used to wonder the same thing, but now I know.

I guess you have to look ahead, ride with enough speed, avoid sudden movement (and pray that you don’t fall) and know where to exit. As a beginner it is no fun to find yourself dive (or run out of speed and fall) in powder. I have seen a guy hopping like a frog (with his snowboard still attached) on the same spot for something like five minutes (guess he couldn’t push himself up) before he could extricate himself.

I sometime ride with ski poles in powder - they provide good leverage to push out of snow.

when youre starting to ski powder just find a steep bit but make sure its really short. That way you can get about 2 or 3 turns in and learn how to do it but if you get stuck youre not going to have a hernia trying to get out.

Also (especially boarders sorry!) NEVER EVER slide down on the edge of the board down a steep bit cos youre too wuss to lean out over the fall line and make a turn. It creates an unsightly "snail trail" of compacted snow that really mucks up the mtn. Dont do it! Just have some balls and youll realise that indeed you can do it. Skiers do it too, but esp boarders - not picking a fight though

my gripe for the day

Quote:
How do you get good at it if it is crap when you're no good? Just keep on trying and learning with the promise of heaven at the end??
yep, and add the fact that you have no friends (or husband) because they are all in the powder... it's excellent motivation \:D

Quote:
If you're a complete beginner, it's best to stay out of it. It's usually a limited commodity, and besides having a horrible time yourself, you'll piss off people who can enjoy it. Best to stick to the groomers and learn to ride well there.

Then start riding on the sides of the groomers where there's powder, to get used to the different riding style.

Then when the different feeling no longer throws you, head for the deeps, and heaven.
i agree with you there ocean!!

Anybody skied in deep enough pow that they have difficulty breathing through their nearly endless faceshots? I've been lucky enough to have this problem a small handful of times (mainly right after interlodge in Utah...how cool is it that it's actually ILLEGAL to go outside due to avalanche risk).

Oh the irony - one can choke on the very substance that causes one such complete happiness... \:\)

That's what I like about creamy powder - the same floating feeling, without the annoyances of face shots. (Let's face it ... can we? There's nothing inherently enjoyable about face shots - you can't see for a while, and you get a cold nose. Their only value is as a statement that you got to some deep, fresh powder. No?)