Some people are so rude it is unbelievable.

Just had one example. The old 'toushi' sales call. All very friendly and I politely (very politely) told the guy that I and my company is not interested in it, then he said that he just wanted some time as he was in the area in the next week blah blah blah. Would not shut up. I told him again that I simply was not interested and said arigatou gozaimasu and before I got to the gozaimasu bit I heard the phone being slammed down.

I know, I should perhaps be less polite myself, but by default I'd rather be that than grumpy and rude myself.

wakaranai

Any more examples of annoyingly rude people?

Marketing calls used to terrorise me, I hated having to tell them to go away. Half the time I'd do their damn surveys, mainly out of guilt. A friend suggested a different way of looking at the calls. Now when marketing people call me I tell them I am only too happy to help them but I have a fee of $50 and can I have an order number before we proceed. I love it, they apologise and politely hang up!

After dealing with more than a few of these myself I have something already prepared. It's short, fairly polite and doesn't invite talkback. It works and gives me less stress. I have it pinned up on the wall actually so it's always available for when these calls come which is usually once a week or so.

I just think the Seinfeld line of..."Oh I am really interested in hearing about that but I am a bit busy right now, perhaps if you give me your home number I can call you later on when I have the time."

"no? You don't give out your home number?"

"Would that be maybe because you don't like people calling you when you are at home.....HEEELLLOOO!!!"

In fact the more I think about it the more I like the approach of:

"Hmm well, You know regardless of whether your product, service, whatever is suited to me or not - I have a policy of not purchasing, listening, signing up for.. anything when I am cold canvassed. Sorry you have wasted your time, and mine."

It might send the message...

Not that I actually have the balls to say it..."sorry not interested" is about as clever as I get.

Oz has a "do not call" register. This is a national list of phone numbers that are NOT to be called for sales purposes.

Certain groups are exempt, notably the Government, businesses with which you have a business relationship already, and some charities.

My response, having listed both our lines, is "Are you aware of the 'do not call' register?" Then, when they answer "yes", I respond "This number is registered with them, you have just broken the law." and they usually hang up before I can manage it.

• SnowJapan Admin

Tell you what annoys me is when people send us one-sentence demands/questions, like:

Send me the Nozawa Onsen opening dates

I want full trail maps of Niseko Hirafu sent to me by tomorrow

without any kind of sign off, please, thank you, how's it going, onegai shimasu or whatever - and then don't even reply to say thanks if we do actually respond to their rude request! (Which actually we don't anymore).

slap

Top tip - if you want us to respond to you, use some basic manners/politeness! friend

Originally Posted By: SJForums

Top tip - if you want us to respond to you, use some basic manners/politeness! friend

Goes for me too! Trouble is, so many people have NFI what "basic manners" are.
Originally Posted By: thursday.
I try to keep it as short as poss. Before they launch, I just say, "thank you but no thanks, goodbye" and hangup. No guilt trips here.

I'm with u Thurs, pre-emptive polite strike. Don't be rude, just say "thanks but no thanks" and then hang up. No guilt trips nothing. They are doing their job and you are doing yours.

Although my Granny had this telesales guy phone day after day and was WAAAAAY beyond rude. When she told me it really pissed me off so I camped out at hers until the guy phoned, got her to answer and start him on his usualy shite then took the phone and gave him hell!! If I'd got my hands on him I'dve killed him, my granny was almost crying when she was telling me about it, I was livid. Needless to say the guy didn't call again