I`m not quite sure what you mean by the 9/11 Commission Report.

The reports I have read were produced by FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Chapter 2 gives a fairly detailed description of the construction of the twin towers, as well as the various safety measures that were in place. All this is easily verifiable information.

It also includes includes photographs of the buildings with plane shaped holes extending across several floors, considerable internal damage and fires burning on several floors. I find the combination of serious structural damage as well as uncontrolled fires burning in areas where the insulation would have been stripped from the structural steel by impact to be a perfectly plausible reason for the collapse.

I`d be very interested to see any authoritative links where the authors criticise their work.

Meanwhile I`ll refer you back to my earlier post, where Fig 20-19 definitvely demonstrates that Oyuki`s original quote was wrong. I`ve also searched the chapter and "core columns" are mentioned 20 times in the text. That may constitute "...denied the existence of the 47 massive steel columns that in reality constituted the core of each tower..." for some, but not for me.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the document described as being full of lies in the original post in this thread. The report of the official enquiry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_Commission

Quote:
Work of commissioners after the commission ceased its functions

Months after the commission had officially issued its report and ceased its functions, Chairman Kean and other commissioners toured the country to draw attention to the recommendations of the commission for reducing the terror risk, claiming that some of their recommendations were being ignored. Co-chairs Kean and Hamilton wrote a book about the constraints they faced as commissioners titled Without Precedent: The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission.

The book was released on August 15, 2006 and chronicles the work of Kean (Commission Chairman) and Hamilton (Commission Vice-Chairman) of the 9/11 Commission, which some consider one of the most important independent government commissions in American political history.

In the book, Kean and Hamilton write that the commission was so frustrated with repeated misstatements by officials from The Pentagon and the Federal Aviation Administration during the investigation that it considered a separate investigation into possible obstruction of justice by Pentagon and FAA officials.[10]

Thanks for that Mr W. We are obviously at cross purposes. The reports I have read are from FEMA, not the 9/11 Commission.

I guess if you want to know what's happening it's better to ask an engineer rather than a politician. This is from the Introduction of the FEMA report. Sorry it's a jpg, but the document is locked, and won't let me select text. Read the third paragraph. I don't believe all these professionals can be bought, especially after working for over 20 years with American scientists.

fire21rf2.jpg

Originally Posted By: soubriquet

11. The omission of Larry Silverstein's statement that he and the fire department commander decided to "pull" Building 7 (28).

The buildings were empty of people and the fire department had just lost several hundred men. They lacked the benefit of hindsight. What would you do in these circumstances?

your answer here caught my attention. How and why did they 'pull' it? I am under the impression that to demolish a building safely you need sometime in advance to plant the charges in the right places (so you need detailed info about the building, as well as time and resources. Is that a feasible idea to pull an out-of-the-way building that is mildy on fire?

And why do you agree with the statement in the first place? 'Official' line is that it came down by fire! Read the 9/11 report again. What does it say about Tower 7?

Quote:
12. The omission of the fact that the steel from the WTC buildings was quickly removed from the crime scene and shipped overseas before it could be analyzed for evidence of explosives (30).

A contract was let to salvage the scrap steel. The contractors job was to dig it up and ship it out. The steel was temporarily stored at 3 different sites in NY. These sites were made open for volunteers from the Insitute of Civil Engineers to examine and sample the wreckage. Their findings are fully detailed in one of the Report's Appendices.

VOLUNTEERS??! The biggest terrorist attack in US history, and it should have been gone over like the crime scene it was! Where was the federal investigation? Why was it removed before one was conducted?

Quote:
Oyuki, please don`t think I`m having a go at you, because I`m not. I`m having a go at those who deliberately mislead (lie) in order to advance a theory.

Not at all. I just wanted to add a little excitement to the boards.

Volunteers.

You have to look at it from an engineers perspective, at the time (before the conspiracy theory snowballed). The engineers had little doubt about what caused the collapse, and weren't trying to advance any particular theory.

From the Introduction to Appendix D

"Collection and storage of steel members from the WTC site was not part of the BPS Team efforts sponsored by FEMA and the American Society of Civil Engineers. SEAoNY offered to organise a volunteer team of SEAoNY engineers to collect certain WTC steel pieces for future building performance studies."

(WTC_apndxD.pdf)

Quote:
In the book, Kean and Hamilton write that the commission was so frustrated with repeated misstatements by officials from The Pentagon and the Federal Aviation Administration during the investigation that it considered a separate investigation into possible obstruction of justice by Pentagon and FAA officials.

Unfortunately this kind of obstruction has to be expected in any investigation of a large organisation. At any given time in any big organisation there will be all sorts of empire building and skullduggery going on that the bosses aren't aware of or have no clue to the scale. As these things start coming to light many people see being sacked (or worse) as a real threat and try to scramble to safety.

I remember the public inquiry held when Air New Zealand managed to fly a full DC10 into Mt Erebus. The judge who handled the affair got so frustrated by Air NZ ducking and diving for cover that he publicly called the Air NZ response "An organised litany of lies".

In the scheme of things Air NZ is a small organisation. Now imagine trying to get answers out of something the size of the Pentagon! An organisation that must feel itself invulnerable to any serious questioning, where telling porkies would be sport and your lunch break considered a national secret! A hideous task.
Quote:
VOLUNTEERS??! The biggest terrorist attack in US history, and it should have been gone over like the crime scene it was! Where was the federal investigation? Why was it removed before one was conducted?

Conspiracy or incompetence in the face of such a massive event where the answers seemed obvious?

What were you doing at the time of the attack?

I was a sleep until I got called at about 3am by a friend who was on night shift at a TV station. I watched the live feed for the next 4 hours. I saw the towers fall. Shocking.

Did you know anyone in the towers?

I have a friend who had a late start that day - her office was in one of the towers. She lived because of that late start.

>What were you doing at the time of the attack?

3 of my friends and I had just come back from eating Gyukaku. We got back to my place for a night cap and turned on the telly. First image was the airplane flying into the towers. I thought it was a cm for a new movie and so did everybody else with me. Then all our jaws hit the floor.

Did you know anyone in the towers?

yes, several people. a few made it a few didnt. My uncles were at the pentagon, too. Crazy isnt it...

Well, i will concede (and truly want to believe) that the towers came down because of the planes. And perhaps thats what happened.

But why were the planes allowed to hit the towers in the first place?

Apparently, there are systems in place to specifically prevent such an event, ith several stages. All of them failed, without much questioning or explanation from the authorities.

Following loss of radio contact from an airliner, jets are supposedly supposed to be put on warning and scrambled to intercept. The airliners, if i remember correctly, were out of contact for something like 2 HOURS before hitting the first tower.

How did that ever happen? Why were the airliners NOT intercepted and shot down? There were military bases close to both targets, and of scrambled, should have reached the targets in under 10 minutes or so, even without flying at top speed apparently.

From what i read, the fighters were sent up extremely late, and even then, could have reached the targets flying at top speed with time to spare. I haven't heard any reasons why they didn't make it in time.

Not to mention, the dude supposedly piloting the aircraft hitting the pentagon was accprding to his flight instructors, extremely incompetent. But the flight path recorded that took him into his target (a declining loop) was said to be an extremely difficult maneuver, even for an experienced pilot. How did he do it?

And while on the subject of airliners being intercepted, what about the one airliner that supposedly crashed because the passengers overpowered the terrorists?

There is not much wreckage to suggest it crashed. The wreckage was spead over a large area, several kilometers, and was more consistand with something BLOWN UP IN MID-AIR. Wierd, huh?

911 conspiracy theory shares a remarkable parallel with Intelligent Design in that people start with a pre-existing belief and then selectively use information to support that belief. It can be also be described as an example of the Theory of Gaps. Any aspect of the event that isn't adequately explained is taken as evidence supporting the original hypothesis. A wit once pointed out that if some information came to light that neatly dissected a gap in the pre-existing knowledge, effectively creating two gaps when previously there was only one, the proponents of Intelligent Design would claim that evidence Intelligent Design had doubled! I'm not suggesting that those questioning the official 911 explanation are as silly those who subscribe to ID, but the tools used by the supporters of ID to argue their case are very much same tools used by 911 conspiracy theorists. Selective use of information, misinformation, error, lies, irrelevancies, cynical use of popular perceptions, myths and ignorance all play a part in building up a compelling argument.

I also like how different people ascribe a different role to the US government depending on their level of suspicion - some say the gov knew about it and let it happen, others reckon it was only the gov, some reckon there weren't any planes at all etc. It is all a bit like religion - people take what they want as befits their lifestyle. The ability to do this suggests that none of the different views have any more weight than any other and thus undermining the lot.

The world isn't a Tom Clancy novel. The US military and government departments, like every other organisation has it's fair share of incompetents, system failures, ignorance of SOPs, in adequate training, in adequate SOPs, people on holidays, new people on the job, people who don't give a toss about their job etc. To expect that there is going to an unbroken narrative where every minute is accounted for and everyone is going to do their job perfectly, without delay or petty incompetence or inconvenience getting in the way, is unrealistic.

A great example of the questionable techniques used by 911 supporters is this question - Why didn't the pentagon defences shoot down the plane that struck the building? This is a great question because it immediately puts out of the equation any doubts about the existence of a defence system for the pentagon. It plays on an easy assumption that the centre of the US military would be defended. But would it really? With constraints on military spending, do people really expect that such a building is going to be surrounded by AA guns and AA missiles or do people expect that jets and fighter pilots are such a common resource that the US government has them sitting around ready to launch? The Cold War ended years ago and even if it hadn't, continental based planes are not the ones on high levels of readiness. It takes time to get planes ready, to get bombs from bunkers and loaded up, to brief pilots - and that is after you actually know what is going on and have orders to launch aircraft to intercept. Modern jet fighters also have remarkably narrow performance parameters; blast off in a F-16 at top speed and you're in for a very short flight. So please, anyone who thinks the Pentagon's defences could easily have accounted for the plane, please do tell me what exactly is used to provide close in defence for the pentagon. hmm?

There is a lot of misinformation about 911. A lot of the information and questions raised by 911 conspiracy theorists is deliberately misleading. The case above regarding the construction of the Towers is a classic - What the person claimed was simply false. Oyuki, it wasn't anything like 2 hours that the planes were in the air and out of contact or control before they hit the Towers. This is what I'm talking about, information gets put into circulation that is patently false and becomes part of the collective belief -not that I'm saying you are doing it deliberately, but these things take on a life of their own. Like the many, many people who saw a passenger plane crash into the pentagon. Because these eye witnesses are conveniently overlooked by 911 theorists they don't get mentioned when people are talking up questions about what happened there and whether it really was a passenger jet. Why the Towers fell is another great area for miss-information. Allsorts of theories and explanations are based around what people assumed happened when the planes entered the buildings. Whenever I read those I'm reminded of crash test dummies. Why? Because the automotive industry spends a lot of time and money working through different crash scenarios by putting dummies into cars and crashing them . They do this because things happen in those situations that you simply can't predict. If it wasn't so prohibitively expensive, they're do the same with planes. 911 theorists talk about the simple math/physics involved in plane-meets-building scenarios but what they fail to point out is that whilst the math might be simple, its application to the circumstances is actually incredibly difficult.

It really is so very similar to the way ID proponents argue their case: omit data that doesn't match your view, play up gaps (real, perceived or imagined) in knowledge and cloud the issue with irrelevancies.

On this last point, Oyuki mentions the flight path of the pentagon plane and how difficult a manoeuvre it is - my answer is, so what? What does that prove? Nothing, is the answer. The guy got lucky, the guy very nearly missed his target and crashed into the ground. If the manoeuvre is difficult for a pilot on the plane with all of the usual environmental feedback, how much more difficult would it be for a remotely piloted vehicle where the pilot doesn't have all of that? One could just as well say, the manoeuvre was so difficult that it was too difficult for a remote piloted vehicle so therefore there must have been a real plane involved!

Very nicely put Rag-Doll. I can see why you're a lawyer and I'm an unemployed ex-geologist.

Flying a plane in a loop and lining up with a target is very easy. I can do it no problem, and I've only had about an hour at the stick.

It's worth noting the deafening silence of the civil engineering community. They seem to have no problem with impact + fire = collapse.

Here are some other structures which were designed "not to fail", but no-one seems to have a problem with these.

titanic6.jpg

Palau5.jpg

Thanks Soubs. It's the use of ignorance to create suspicion that drives me to get involved in this stuff. I remember during one of the other 911 debates someone tried to suggest there was something sinister in the fact that Empire State Building managed not to fall over when it was struck by a B-17 years ago and that it was "curious" that the accident wasn't mentioned when 911 happened.

So the average punter goes, hmmm, those B-17s were pretty big and the empire state didn't collapse, hey so what's with the WTC? Something's not right....

The thing is a 767 weighs about 85-90,000 kg, has a wing span of nearly 50m and cruises at 850km/ph. A B-17 fully loaded barely tops 24,000kg, had a 30m wing span and couldn't go faster than 300 km/ph, and then of course the buildings themselves are very different. Hardly comparing apples with apples, but it doesn't stop some people trying to suggest something else.

But anyway, I'm just as guilty as the next guy for viewing facts through the prism of my own prejudices. I believe the US gov on 911 and I'm doubtful about anthropological global warming, but I'm cynical about governments generally.

That was a put up job as well. Why wasn't the entire airforce used, and I heard that one guy who knows these things reckons the planes weren't firing real bullets. My mate who is a fireman who helped catch an escaped chimp once reckons gorillas can't climb that high, so there is no way it was a real gorilla....

...and before you know it, we have people thinking that King Kong didn't climb the ESB at all and the whole thing was just special effects from Hollywood!

The air strike thing is another red herring. The claim that the twin towers were "designed to be resistant" is false. This is addressed in the FEMA report.

The buildings were designed in the 1960s, before the outbreak of hijackings, and well before suicide bombings became commonplace. Terrorist activity wasn't on the radar. What was considered was the impact of a lost 707 flying slowly and pretty much empty of fuel at the end of its flight. Not loaded with fuel and at cruising speed. This consideration was obviously rejected, because there is nothing in the design or construction of the twin towers which indicates any attempt to "aircraft proof" them. This is an important point because all the 9/11 conspiracy theories are predicated on the claim that the towers shouldn't have collapsed.

This is where some understanding of engineering is useful. The twin towers were lightweight structures. The columns were all hollow box sections. The floor beams were all trusses. A truss is a triangulated open beam made from rod and strip, not a massive "I" section. The trusses rested on brackets welded to the columns and were located by two bolts at each end. The internal space of each floor was completely open, other than the service section of the central core. The core itself was walled with plasterboard.

This is where it becomes a frustrating dialogue of the deaf because there is nothing whatsoever in the design of the twin towers to suggest they were built to be aircraft proof. However, the 9/11 conspiracists refuse to look at the evidence in front of them, preferring to chant the mantra "they were designed to resist aircraft strike". They were not.

How about if anyone wants to make a claim on this subject, they first verify their info before posting, then publish the source(s) along with the claim. For example, it shouldn't be hard to find out where the planes that hit the twin towers came from.

I decided I'd pick up on the Pentagon story, as it was one of the conspiracy theories I have wondered about. Rag Doll mentioning there were eye witnesses was news to me. It took me about 10 minutes to be sure it was a plane. Too many eye witnesses. The CNN transcript was the clincher:

About.com Normally a legit site.

What Really Happened Hysterical sounding name for balance wink

CNN Normally reliable

Rather than arm waving and making unstabstantiated claims, I thought it might be helpful to look at some real information. The Building Research Establishment is a consultancy and test establishment in the UK. http://www.bre.co.uk/ They built a test structure at Cardington and set fire to it in order to measure what actually happens when a steel frame building burns. You can find the results here.

http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/project...ta/default1.htm

Firstly, this is how steel behaves when it is heated. You can see that at 500C, it has lost half its strength, and at 1000C about 95% of the strength has gone.

strengthcurveqf3.jpg

In the Cardington tests, The BRE loaded the cells with a fire load typical of an office, and instrumented the steel to find the temperature response. Some steel was protected by insulation, and some was left exposed. These are results from an unprotected beam. Note they actually measured 1088C in 57 minutes. That means the beam was working at about 5% of its design strength.

sfire01ye4.jpg

See here that the beam has failed (sagged). It has gone from being a beam, to being a catenary. You get a catenary when you string a rope between two poles. The rope pulls IN as well as DOWN. This is important.

sfire04sf6.jpg

Here are a couple of details. Where the vertical column is protected by insulation, there is no damage. Compare it with the beam distortion. Note also that the weld where the end-plate is fixed to the beam. The failure is due to softening, and the beam moving from shear to tension (catenary)

sfire02rw6.jpg

Also note that the column itself has also buckled where it was unprotected by insulation.

sfire03oa8.jpg

So. Conventional steel frame building with a standard fire load. Standard insulation works, the standard is correct. Unprotected steel will fail. Nothing controversial here.

The twin towers. They were lightweight structures. They used trusses rather than I section beams, and lack the massive redundancy of the Cardington test structure. This is all taken from the FEMA report.

Here are details from the twin towers construction. Each end of each truss sat on a bracket welded to the columns (see the effect of a catenary on the Cardington welds above). The trusses were located by 2 5/8" bolts at each end.

sfire06sa9.jpg

Here are two images of the construction. You can the brackets welded to the exterior columns, and in the right hand picture the floor trusses going in. You don't have to accept my word that these were lightweight structures lacking in redundancy. You can see it.

sfire10qz3.jpg

Here in scale is an outline of a B767-200ER and WTC 1. The aircraft weighed about 350,000 lb (about 160 tonnes), was carrying enough fuel to get to LA, and was travelling at about 530mph when it struck. The diagram also shows the internal core where all of the services were located. The walling of that core was made from plasterboard, the stuff you can punch your fist through if you are stupid enough.

sfire09sp2.jpg

Here's an image and diagram of the exterior damage. Five floors have been damaged and are on fire. We know the services, including the sprinkler system were cut. We also know that the the spray on insulation of the floor trusses, their locating brackets and the vertical columns have been blasted by 150 tonnes of stuff travelling at about 500mph. Right in the centre of the photograph you can see the floor hanging in tension: a catenary.

sfire08mk9.jpg

Nothing controversial above.

Everything in the conspiracy theory is predicated on the assertion that the twin towers were designed to be aircraft impact proof, and therefore should not have collapsed. I am satisfied that the twin towers were lightweight structures, and not aircraft-proof. I am also satisfied that the combination of the impact, resultant damage to the fire protection systems, and exposure to an uncontrolled fire is sufficient to explain the collapse without recourse to outside agents.