I'm in Tokyo on a work trip for a few days and was planning to stay around for a week or so after. Having arrived in Japan just as the main resorts seem to be closing I was still hoping to get a couple of days skiing in while I'm here and was wondering if anyone had any ideas/opinions about the places that are still open, as I'm completely new to skiing in Japan.

From trawling this site Shig Kogen still seems to be partly open as do some of the resorts near Niigato: Kagura Mitsumata and Seki Onsen. Any information on what the best option is would be great.

Colin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planing to go this sat for a day trip. I have no high expectations, I am more curious to see how the conditions are up there this time of year.

In the Kagura HP they say that the mitsumata slopes operate only as a connecting course to get to the Kagura gondola. I wander how the top is and if there is anything hikable left.

Thanks for the info. I'll definatly check out Kagura. I've got enough time to take a day at Shiga Kogen too. DO you think that it's worth the trip given what is still open there.

Colin

Quote:
DO you think that it's worth the trip given what is still open there

Basically, no.

But I live fairly close by and have had a decent season and my fill. It really depends how desperate you are. If you are ok with late late spring snow and just a few short runs open, go for it!

Thanks for the help.

I went to Kagura yesterday, only a few lifts open and lots of people on piste, but still some fun on the crud in the trees. All in all I had a fun day, although it is clear that we are really in the dregs of the season. Looks like a great area though and definatly want to come back for the season proper. The hard rain at road level was enough to put me off another day today, and even though I do really like bread I think it is probably better to leave Shiga Kogen until next time.

Cheers,

Colin

It was pretty good. They still have a good base up at Kagura.

This is the Kagura main gelende last Sat

tsondaboy_211.JPG

you can ski all the way from the top of the #1 high speed lift to the bottom of the gondola

tsondaboy_212.JPG

mitsumata is over, this is how the mitsumata park looks now

tsondaboy_215.JPG

the have built a small park up on the main gelende.

Here is King hitting a kicker. tsondaboy_217.JPG

Just by looking at this pick, you know that the landing is gonna hurt. \:D