Does anyone here have that setting on your emails so that when the person who opens a mail you send them gets asked if they want to send a receipt?

Well, it's jolly annoying.

Stop it!!

yes, this option is there but I never use it. And when the system asks for a receipt after I open, I reply no.

That way, when people call me and ask if I received their very important email, I just say "what email?" More often than not, they'd say, never mind.

So, just how important was it?

Don't like that either. There's one guy I email a lot (work) and he always has that on. It does get annoying. He also deletes all the previous messages which is extra extra annoying. He is actually generally quite annoying.

I hate it as well, my mom used to have that on till I bi#ched about it - she turned it off finally. Sometimes the big cheeses at school use it, but its generally for important emails so I kinda get that. If somebody is just writing crap WTF use it?

Me too. I always say "no". Doesn't seem to cause any problems. What actually happens if I say yes, they get an email back saying I have opened the mail?

I use a proxy program (MailWasher) that sits between me and the server. It downloads the headers of the emails and then asks if I want to read them.

It allows you to just delete, to blacklist or to 'bounce' the emails Or add them to a 'friends' list. A bounced email is returned to the sender as having been sent to an unidentifiable address as if they'd made a mistake in the addy. You can set up all sorts of filters (eg I have one that marks for delete, bounce and blacklist any emails that offer to enhance my breasts - I am quite happy with them atm, thanks for asking!) kinda like thursday's response.

It will learn too, so if you blacklist an address, next time that address comes up it will blacklist them again.

Takes a bit of time to set up properly, you get to see a preview of the first 200 lines unless it is all graphics. So you can see what is there before you chuck it. Saves me downloading the almost 100 emails a day that I do not need, just to get the 1 or 7 that I do want.

• SnowJapan Moderator

We use that as well. If we didn't it would take ages each day to download the 1500+ mails coming in. Still fine tuning it! I find the blacklist feature to be a bit hit and miss and only use it for a few - it was getting really bloated and the mail addresses being random and not used again.

Do you not get lots of undelivereds back if you use the bounce feature JA?

No, the bounce happens at the mail server, so I don't even get the original. If the bounce doesn't happen, I guess the whole lot ends in the bit bucket, I certainly don't see them.

blacklist is a bit of a time thing. I have to get in there and edit it occasionally, to remove some of the bloat.

I also have turned off the feature that checks against a database of know spammers. That had been listing MY ISP (bigpond.com - ffs) as a source of spam and wanting to bounce even CCs I did to myself. That is just STUPID!

On the whoole, though, it is magic!

• SnowJapan Moderator

Yes I have that spam thing turned off as well. It does seem to do it's learning well though with the Probably Spam list and we only have to really (carefully) check the "unmarked" ones that come in each day.

Really like it though.

Originally Posted By: SJ#4
We use that as well.

I was the one who put all of you on to that program about 4 years ago. wink.gif

I used it (mailwasher) for a long time but have shelved as I now use gmail exclusively and use pop forwarding to Thunderbird, I have several gmail accounts all hooked up to Thunderbird. The good thing is I can easily check the email quickly from any computer using the regular browser page.
I was sick of changing my address whenever I changed ISP's, when I change now, which I did recently when I moved, I didnt have the hassle of everyone having a defunct isp email address.
Google spam filters are pretty good too, and the pop forwarding doesn't forward any spam.
On very rare occasions genuine mail gets trapped as spam doesn't reach me, but its very rare.

Return receipt, I use very sparingly for vital emails only like Job applications that have deadlines: want to make sure they get it as the attached resume and cover letter can often screw things up and cause the mail to get lost in cyberspace.
 Originally Posted By: SG
I was the one who put all of you on to that program about 4 years ago. wink.gif

I wasn't here that long ago! Found it all by myself!

I was sick of changing my address whenever I changed ISP's, when I change now, which I did recently when I moved, I didnt have the hassle of everyone having a defunct isp email address.

Easier to have your own domain, then when you change ISP, the change is only to the redirection from the domain host to your new ISP. A single email will do it, or change of just one setting in the hosting service's detasil. I do it easily, even for the 5 postboxes I have with my hosting service.

Return receipt, I use very sparingly for vital emails only like Job applications that have deadlines: want to make sure they get it as the attached resume and cover letter can often screw things up and cause the mail to get lost in cyberspace.

Absolutely! It annoys the recipient, especially when it pops up EVERY time they open that mail message. Useful, though if you really want some evidence of the receipt. Although, you could use MSGTAG, which sends you a message when the email is read. No intervention by thye reader, just a notification to you. Worth a thought.
 Originally Posted By: JA

Easier to have your own domain, then when you change ISP, the change is only to the redirection from the domain host to your new ISP. A single email will do it, or change of just one setting in the hosting service's detasil. I do it easily, even for the 5 postboxes I have with my hosting service.

that would work too, but that costs money though, Gmail is free and I can check it from my mobile phone and quickly and easily from any PC with internet access.

I get annoyed by it also, and generally do not say yes to a reciept - most of the time if a reply is required I say no to the reciept and then reply...does the person then understand that although I have indeed read and replied to thier email I CHOSE NOT to send a read reciept....?

The spam thing interests me... I am serving in the role of a parent funtion co-ordinator for 2 of my childrens year groups this year, in conjunction with others - but being the computer geek...I do the mailouts to the large groups. It was fine up until last week when the addy's that went through the school server all bounced back at me as spam. They were CC's to the 2 teachers who had requested to be kept updated and one to a parent who also happens to work at the school...I reckon the school has installed a new spam filter! I resent those 3 the same message without the other 60+ addy's and it was not bounced. I shall have to ask what they have done differently.