Yellow/green & red/yellow stickers on cars

Sometimes I have noticed some stickers that some people have on cars - they are half yellow / half green (or half red and half yellow), about 15cm long with no writing on them, black border I think. Can't think of how else to describe them - anyone know what I'm on about and even better what they mean!?

I hadn't noticed these before this thread... seeing them everywhere now! I can't imagine my dad ever thinking 'I want to tell people I'm old', it would really afront his ego. lol.gif

• 1 month later...

And, the point would be, exactly what??

There was a suggestion in Oz that drivers over 70 should have an identifying plate, as the learners (with an "L" plate) and provisional drivers, with red (for just qualified) and green (for the second 12 months) "P" plates.

I am mystified why. As a 60 yo, I am not slower than most, I drive with concentration and keep looking ahead at least 100 to 500metres ahead. In most cases, I am watching the road ahead as far as can be seen, which is often 2-3km.

In contrast, many younger drivers are looking just about the length of their car ahead, and wonder why something suddenly "jumps out" in front of them, or a pothole "suddenly" appears and they have to swerve. If they'd been concentrating further ahead, the pothole would be just a simple thing to be avoided easily.

:rant over:

I'm not saying that I agree with it, but the point would be to let other drivers know and oldie is at the wheel, therefore in theory making it safer for all and everyone is happy in the end.

Near where I live there is an 80 year old who drives one of those small trucks and he has no right to be driving, he really doesn't. He is a danger to everyone including himself. He can hardly move, he doesn't look when he pulls out, etc etc it goes on.

I don't know what the rules are here but I certainly think that people of a certain age or with certain health issues should need to have annual something in order to keep their licence.

60 is a bit different from 75. I can't imagine there are many 75 year olds with the reaction time of younger adults. Not really the point though - I think either you are fit to drive or you aren't. It doesn't depend on age but on the individual and having a sticker isn't an excuse to drive badly.

Originally Posted By: me jane
60 is a bit different from 75. I can't imagine there are many 75 year olds with the reaction time of younger adults. Not really the point though - I think either you are fit to drive or you aren't. It doesn't depend on age but on the individual and having a sticker isn't an excuse to drive badly.

Absolutely! Not related to age! I know some 25yo guys who should be banned for life! And some 80yo who are as good a driver as they ever were.

But unless there is a mandatory repeat testing poor drivers will continue to drive.....and there is a signifigant deline when we become aged.

There is a definate relationship between advanced age and a decline in driving ability. Much as there is a definate relationship between advanced age and general mobility! Yes there will always be the ones who age so amazingly well and can keep driving at 100, and there will be others who are effected by age WAY early and need to be reviewed before they are even near 75.

Of course there are some people who are hopeless drivers from the beginning. My MIL is a case in point. I have followed her before and been horrified at her driving - her last car was a case in point. We bought it for her new and after 5 years it was taken to the wreckers - there was not one panel without a ding.

My Nan falls into the good driver sufferring the effects of age. She is in her mid 80's and has been driving less and less these days, but she does still drive upon occassion....although in my opinion she shouldn't. She needs a walker to walk the 5 minutes to the store - she should not be driving. But as a proud woman, who drove army trucks during WW2 that did not have a synchro-ed clutch she will not give her licence up voluntarily.

So many times we hear of accidents where elderly drivers slammed thier foot on the accelerator instead of the brake and crashed into other cars, homes and stores. And just today I was stuck behind a car that was wobbling all over the road, going 35-40km/hr, and hit the kerb 4 times before they turned off in front of me - the driver an elderly man.

Testing is good.

And maybe the testing should be extended to include people involved in car accidents, or breaking road rules.