The strangest thing you have eaten

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whole deep-friend baby crabs, no taste really, just like eating crisps.

Strangest (and possible most vile) thing I've ever drunk is Vietnamese snake wine. It was a bottled, mass-produced drink, not quite the skin-it-alive-and-drink-the-blood type experience you can apparently get in-country.

no, not a chance. Raw pig parts will give you bad bad worms. It'll kill you. Pig bits need to be cooked thoroughly or avoided altogether.

Pigs are basically filthy animals. They should be avoided, but that is very hard to do.

Pigs are actually very clean animals. Given the opportunity, and unlike sheep or cattle, they keep their bedding clean and dung away from their living and sleeping areas.

They are also vectors for human parasites, as are mosquitos. Pork needs to be cooked properly.

Pig intestines good - especially charcoal-broiled Korean-style. AFAIK, it's the small intestine and not the poop-filled colon/lower intestine...

I think the only real issue with pigs and parasites that we need to worry about is trichinosis in pork. I think that parasite only lives in muscle tissue, and can be dealt with by proper cooking. Intestines are rinsed out like hoses and cut into little bits, so if there was perchance something like a tapeworm, it could be removed. If you think about it, it is like eating an unstuffed sausage, since intestine is where natural sausage casings come from.

Cow uterus is another matter entirely. sick.gif

sick.gif Barf! Yuck!

I don't think I could eat colon. The Chinese are a lot more adventurous in the culinary sense than I could ever hope to be! thumbsup.gif

Growing up in Hawaii, I've had the pleasure of eating Filipino "pig-blood and intestine stew". It's good actually, but salty. The intestines are cut into ribbons (like jellyfish), and the blood is mixed into a stew/soup, so it isn't as visually identifiable as the "leeks and red sausage".