I'm not really thinking of applying, but just wondered how long you had to be in Japan etc to get a PR.

I looked on this page, which seems the be the governments offical info on it:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/eizyuu.html

If you read it, it gives zero solid information about how to get PR. Its like it has been written by an 8 year old. I genuinely think they have made it as difficult to read and understand as possible. They migt as well just say 'if we like you, you are in - just apply and take your chance'

If you're married, you can apply when you get the three-year visa. The number of years in Japan doesn't matter so much, basically because they won't give you the three year one until they think you're okay.

For single people, ten years unbroken employment visas is what you need.

I just applied for my visa last month and spoke with them about P.R. I have been here 9 (fack me!) years now and when I mentioned my current position, having tenure, and a few other things they said I should apply and would (most likely) get it. Think there are several factors involved when the select who is/isnt qualified.

I got a 3 yr spouse visa a few months back. I was on a 1-year on my first year, then straight away I got a 3 year.

So I can apply for PR now or I have to wait until the 3-year is gonna expire?

You can apply at any time before the visa expire Bobby12, but you should allow at least 6 months before it expires. Two guys I work with got theirs after the first 3 year spouse visas. No probs.

I got mine under 3 months. I was really suprised. I think something about changing passports and needing to leave the country helped me??

Anyways.. Just a waiting game, unless you need it soo bad it doesn't really make any diff.

Does anyone know what happens to a PR if you leave the country?

As I'm leaving soon I was thinking it might be better if I try and keep it?

Can't think of any benefits in keeping it as I can always get my spouse visa again if I need one.

Indo, it is valid as long as you have a valid re-entry permit, which effectively means you have to come back every 3 years minimum to renew that. That there is one piece of BS that they need to scrap!

Quote:
The cost of the application -- 8,000 yen -- is only paid if the application is successful.

This is better than, say, Australia where they charge you thousands of dollars just to apply for a work visa. My wife also paid a fortune for her student visa to come to the UK. We also paid a fortune to the UK embassy to register my daughters birth. So Japan seems to still be naive to the profitability - I guess this is one area where 'no change' works in our favour.

Quote:
While permanent residents need not ever apply for a visa again, they must, like regular foreign residents, get re-entry permits before they leave the country.

In a way, whats the point of having it then? Its just a stamp of approval and nothing more. You still have to pay the gaijin tax and jump hoops every 3 years.
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
 Quote:

While permanent residents need not ever apply for a visa again, they must, like regular foreign residents, get re-entry permits before they leave the country.

In a way, whats the point of having it then? Its just a stamp of approval and nothing more. You still have to pay the gaijin tax and jump hoops every 3 years.

In my case, the point of having PR is to be able to operate my own business without relying on a sponsor. Also, I expect it will help if I plan to buy property and borrow money with fewer hassles.

Yes I think when you have the permanent one, you only have to go and get the re-entry stamp and that is really easy. Getting visas is a much more involved process.