I've just returned from just over 2 weeks in Hakuba in late Jan and had a blast. The terrain there is inspiring although the early Jan rain crust restrained our exploration into the High alpine beckoning above Happo.

Anyways, whilst I've been boarding now for 10 years in mainly (Europe, BC and NZ), my experience in Japan is limited to Niseko and Hakuba. I spent 3 weeks in Niseko a few years back which was great but at bit small. Hakuba by contrast could keep me occupied for years! The only downside to my experience in Hakuba was the attitude of Patrol on some of the hills. Getting told off for cutting into an area outside of the ski area (where the ski area in any slide path below) is a tad annoying (particularly when you're used to the European attitude toward off-piste exploration).

I'm currently looking at arraning my 08/09 trip which will be done a little earlier this year (Xmas/ New Year). I was thinking of maybe starting the trip by heading to central Hokkaido to DAISETSUZAN KURODAKE which appears to be lift serviced backcountry and similar to some of the places we hit in Europe.

Has anyone been up that way? If so - how do you rate the terrain? I'm particularly curious as to how tight the trees are below the cable car. The limited pics I've gathered from the web suggest it would be classic fall line skiing (north facing, steepish and straight down to the town).

Anyways - any intel you have on the area (includig recommended places to stay) is highly valued.

Critta

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Asahidake last week and it was really good fun with great snow. Kurodake was closed when I was there but should be opening soon. Might be an area that would be good to have a guide for the first day though as there are lots of cliffs in the area.

There are youth hostels at both Asahidake and Sounkyo that are very reasonably priced. We only stayed at the Asahidake one and for about Y10,000 per night we got accomm, lift pass, breakfast and dinner.

It was very light and in places very deep. It is also fairly exposed up top and on slopes where the accumulation was light I was still hitting the sun crust from the fine period we had. But down the gully skiers right of the ropeway I found some bottomless, untracked stuff the was real nice, faceshots every turn.

Thanks Mike and GN.

I'll chase you for an update next week.

I checked Asahidake on google but the resolution was turd. It appears to face primarily WNW which I thought could be a concern for winds. Is it known for getting wind stripped?

Did either of you get a glance at the trees on the Kurodake side? Wondering whether I'll need a brushcutter or not.

Guide comments noted. We usually kick a trip off with a guide for teh first day or so to get the local run-down. Again, if anyone can recommend - I'm listening.

Ta

Oops, I didn't see this thread, apologies for the cross post!

======================================================================

Hey Critta, come up to Asahikawa! We need more peeps up here doing the BC... \:D

Kurodake is essentially a summer BC destination that opens for some of the winter. The cable way is open most of the winter but the 2nd lift opens in March (this year anyway). The run down from the peak is fantastic. I'm told you can also do a 2 day hike from Kurodake across to Asahidake (also part of Daisetsuzan Range).

The run down the cableway is great fun, there are cliffs for Africa so sticking to the cut track for getting through the cliffs makes a lot of sense until you can figure some other routes - check with the locals! There looks like an ok line directly down under the cableway, but I don't know anyone who has done it. The entry could be a little sketchy. Also the staff (there is no patrol to speak of) have put up a couple of ropes across the obvious route to the entry. These are the only ropes on the mountain, which is a bit of a hint. If you go off the cut track the trees are tight but doable.

Asahidake has lots of lift accessed BC runs as well. If you can do without lifts there are a number of other places to check out as well. It goes without saying that you need to be sure of your snowpack. All the BC in Hokkaido slides, especially Asahidake. PM me if you are interested in some local guides.

In terms of terrain Hokkaido doesn't do Big Lines and lots of steeps like you get in Hakuba, there are some steeps, but you go BC here for the company, snow, views and awesome riding. IMHO Kurodake has the best snow in Japan!

Critta- I've never been there (yet \:\)

I dont know if you've seen this short promo vid of Luke Hurford at Korodake but it's worth a look . Just scroll down to Tree and powder skiing

"Sounkyo Onsen and Ice Festival-Day trip from Furano" movie and down load it.

From my experience just last January at Furano, the groomers are wide! but there's little scope for off groomed riding. We found the day trip to Kamui a great deal more fun in terms of getting into untracked pow.

The groomers at Furano are a little over zealous, with the cut and levelled piste going from rope to rope on most areas.

Journey Man,

When you say 'opened today' - do you mean the top lift? I though the cable car operated all winter.

Also - do they close the top lift every year and if so, do you know the date (ie. is it a particular date in Dec/ Jan)?

I checked the link left by Mantas. Looks good, but cut out just when the guy starts skiing the interesting stuff under the cable car. Damn!

Sitting at work right now, green with envy

Originally Posted By: MikePow
What's the avalanche risk at the moment? Got a link (english please).

I don't have any avalanche info links I can give you - I don't think there are any.

If we are going BC we assess it ourselves. On Saturday we only rode the top lift and the Cableway run.

Enjoy the pow tomorrow! Are you thinking of hiking the peak?
 Originally Posted By: Critta
When you say 'opened today' - do you mean the top lift? I though the cable car operated all winter.

Also - do they close the top lift every year and if so, do you know the date (ie. is it a particular date in Dec/ Jan)?

Yes, it was the top lift that opened. This year the top lift closed at the end of December and reopened on 1 March. The cableway also closes down in the winter for maintenance, not sure when it was this winter.

Skied top to bottom on Wednesday. It was fantastic. 7 people on the mountain.

Didn't hike but will do next time.

Most interesting and exciting terrain I've skied in Japan.

It ate one of my skis and I had to "ski" below Tower 2 on 1 ski.

One of these days. Plenty up here for me for the time being.

Will return to Kurodake next month for lift accessed and lift accessed touring.

I've skied La Grave in France and the terrain at Kurodake is very reminiscent of that area.

But on a smaller scale. Approx 1,300m vert instead of 2,000m+ at La Grave. The implications are the same though.

Trees are tight below the cable car, but very doable.

Hi Mike, do you have pics of Kurodake?

You have peaked my interest with your comparison to La Grave.

Obviously I would not expect to see glaciers, but 1300m of vert with challenging terrain is interesting for Japan and may see me going that way at one stage or another. Are there tight trees all the way from the top, or is there a decent alpine section?

Meanwhile, I will do my homework with topos.

Kurodake peak is 1,984m

Cable car base station is at 670m

Good link here:

http://visitfurano.com/English/backcountry/b-kurodake.html#

Got pics but will need to process them. Will post in a day or so.

Alpine terrain with technical above tree line skiing and tight, steep, technical tree skiing through a combo of old growth conifer and new growth birch trees.