Which Hakuba hill will be the least insane this weekend?

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I suggest Sun Alpina - its never crowded! \:\)

I agree- The times I've been has been dead calm - I guess this is traditionally the busiest w/e of the year though ?

this weekend more than NY's? Prolly pretty similar. Regardless, it will be packed with 1.1 billion Chinese on the slopes so I suggest everybody staying home.

Authentic Thai? Eat at the bottom of Happo at the Thai restaurant. Pretty good.

I'll be linking those gay double chairs that nobody rides because the courses are so short... ducking into sluffable trees, deep into the mysteries of zao. Nobody will know I'm there, and I won't cross a track. I'll score 12-16 virgin lines around 700-1000 vert (not huge, but defintely worthy). Then, I'll ski down to the base and wonder where all the people came from. \:\)

Originally Posted By: samurai
I'll be linking those gay double chairs that nobody rides because the courses are so short... ducking into sluffable trees, deep into the mysteries of zao. Nobody will know I'm there, and I won't cross a track. I'll score 12-16 virgin lines around 700-1000 vert (not huge, but defintely worthy). Then, I'll ski down to the base and wonder where all the people came from. \:\)

Twist the knife why don't you!!

Yes i agree great Thai food at the bottom of Happo Nakiyama lift - great prices too!
 Originally Posted By: stemik

Yes i agree great Thai food at the bottom of Happo Nakiyama lift - great prices too!

Sounds very "un-Happo" to be selling good food at good prices. There's a Japanese guy up there who was doing killer vegetarian curries somehwere. He sometimes sets up at Tracks Bar. He deserves some kind of local award for services to tourism.
 Originally Posted By: stemik
not too sure where your coming from - but Happo prices are pretty cheap compared to other resorts around the world

Well I don't look at Happo as being the most "customer friendly" resort and I've felt ripped off on food there before. But I'm pretty fussy when it comes to food.

altho never been to Happo, I'd say that most resorts, everywhere are a rip off for food. They have a captive audience in most cases that have to pay what they say or they won't eat.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
altho never been to Happo, I'd say that most resorts, everywhere are a rip off for food. They have a captive audience in most cases that have to pay what they say or they won't eat.

Not at SunAlpina. It's as good as I can get in the city. Kicking back on the outdoor tables with a lunchtime chuu-hai is pretty sweet as well. Keep the punters happy and they will come.

town is fairly booked up for the weekend. It will be interesting to see how many folks come up just for the day trip.....

Still Mantas no where near the crowds that you can expect in Europe (cant comment on Oz as I have never been there)

Best to avoid the gondolas and the lower slopes in the morning.

Some late feedback: I was at Happo THAT weekend Feb 9-11!

Sat 2/9 - just arrived lunchtime. Only stayed in Nakiyama area. Not too crowded. Had to wait for a lift maybe 1-2 Minutes. Heavy snowing all day.

Sun 2/10 - Had to wait 5 Minutes maybe twice. Otherwise waiting times were short, or zero. Didn't seem crowded to me. Overcast, no new snow.

Mon 2/11 - Still holiday, but all day empty slopes and lifts. Perfect blue sky.

I would not consider crowd condition when going to Happo.