Have you had yours removed? If so, what was it like? The dentist recently told me that I need to have some pulled out and it sounds nasty - and very expensive....

I had mine removed in college over the summer hols. It sucked. I was given laughing gas, or something that kinda knocks you out but doesnt. I can still remember the cruching sound of my teeth being smashed and ripped out. That wasnt bad it was after the pain killers wore off that things started to suck.... the pain killers they gave me though were sweeeeeeeeet! I was trippin at the colors and visual effects they had on me whistle.gif

It was extremely difficult to eat for about 3 days I belive. Just icecream, ramen, soups and the likes were about all I could get down.

I had two of mine removed last year, here in Japan, I'm in my 30's.

My dentist novicaned me up, pushed my tooth out, packed it with gauze, charged me 3000 yen (insurance paid more), and I never experienced any pain or troubles. I was quite shocked at how much it wasn't actually troublesome.

I have to have my two lowers removed too, as they are hard to keep clean. I'm not sweating it at all.

i went under general anasthetic and they ripped all 4 out in one hit. one of them cracked into two pieces and i think they had to dig around a bit to get the bottom half out. some people are fine after the procedure, but i was a mess . really really swollen and painful for 4-5 days (especially on the side where my tooth broke), but i think that is abnormally long.

lots of people get the local anasthetic at the dentist, they brace their knee on your chest and yanked em out while you're still conscious. this sounds absolutely horrifying to me, but most people seem to not have any problems with it

ask them if they can give you your teeth in a little jar - the crazy thing is how long the roots are

I had one pulled under local anaesthetic. The tooth had roots like a turnip. It took three hours and it was hell. They don't give general anaesthetics for wisdom teeth in Japan. For what reason, I don't know but I think it's related to indemnity if something goes wrong.

I had the other three taken out in Bangkok under general in a private dental hospital.

what was the hospital like tripitaka?

i've had lots of expats tell me that the international hospitals are fantastic and relatively cheap (compared to similar hospitals in western countries) and very high standards

Originally Posted By: spook
what was the hospital like tripitaka?
i've had lots of expats tell me that the international hospitals are fantastic and relatively cheap (compared to similar hospitals in western countries) and very high standards

Awesome. I went to the Bangkok Dental Hospital. English-speaking with Harvard-trained doctors. No pain, no complications. All up about 100,000 yen, but that's quite cheap considering they were problematic.

On the whole, Japan is not so good for dental work from what I've seen.
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka

you talkin bout dental procedures or just all the messed up teeth in general?

I don't think Japanese even know what an orthodontist is!

I was lucky all wisdom teeth came through without any problem at all. Never even went to the dentist. I actually went 17 years without going to a dentist and when I finally did I still didn't need any work done and I hardly ever brush my teeth!!

Originally Posted By: spook
 Originally Posted By: tripitaka

you talkin bout dental procedures or just all the messed up teeth in general?

Both. There are good dentists but it's hit or miss. I know of an Aussie who had a wisdom tooth taken out. The dentist broke the tooth but couldn't get one half out, panicked and told him to go to another dentist. My mate flew back to Oz 3 days later to get it dealt to properly. That's a nightmarish scenario. He was sucking on a bottle of Jim Beam all the way back to keep it somewhat sterilized.
 Originally Posted By: samurai
I had two of mine removed last year, here in Japan, I'm in my 30's.

My dentist novicaned me up, pushed my tooth out, packed it with gauze, charged me 3000 yen (insurance paid more), and I never experienced any pain or troubles. I was quite shocked at how much it wasn't actually troublesome.

I have to have my two lowers removed too, as they are hard to keep clean. I'm not sweating it at all.

I was the same as you samurai, had 1 taken out, got doped up, crunch, pull, pop and out it come, packed with guaze and that was it, no probs at all
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
I know someone's girlfried died after having her wisdom tooth pulled. They couldn't stop the bleeding.
Get it done at a hospital.

Just a point on that - there are many people walking around in our lives who have Von Willebrands and do not realize it. If this girl could not stop bleeding after a wisdom tooth removal I would go 10-1 that she had Von Willebrands.

If you bruise easily and often bigger bruises than you would expect or in comparison to friends. If you get or had episodes of blood noses more than normal. Of if you are female, menstruate heavily or for a prolonged time. PLEASE HAVE THE TEST!

I got to 36 yrs of age before I found out I had this disorder. I had post partum haemorrage with my kids deliveries, and lost masses of blood during surgical removal of my unerupted and sideways wisdom teeth - but I am very lucky that I did not have major surgery, or a traumatic accident without knowing and having it on my medical records.

I choose to live life WITH this condition, I will not wrap myself in cotton wool - but by knowing and informing doctors in advance trajedies like this poor girls death may be able to be avoided.

one of my good mates had complications after his teeth were pulled. i don't think he as a severe condition described by mamabear above, but his blood wouldn't clot and he had sustained bleeding and had to go back into surgery.

I had one teeth taken out some years ago in Hong Kong. Chinese dentist, UK trained. Got one painkiller injection. Didn't feel a thing. Still remember the cracking noise though. But tooth came out in one piece. Root digging tools were on hand, but not used.

No pain at all. I thought pain comes in some hours later, but never did.

When I see Japanese girls, once you take your eyes off the silicone enhanced parts, I notice teeth that seem to be put in in random order quite often.

Quote:
I know someone's girlfried died after having her wisdom tooth pulled. They couldn't stop the bleeding.

After the removal you need a rest period. I did not and went straight back to work. The bleeding really went on for a long time, I think for the rest of the day. So follow the docs advise.