Upcoming SJ Video Competition - please help!

• SnowJapan Admin

OK, we are currently putting together a video competition for this season on our new video site and wanted to ask for some feedback and help.

http://www.snowjapan.tv

We are going to be doing our best to put together some cool prizes but hope that this will be as much about fun as trying to win them!

First of all, we want some categories. We want to have a number of competition categories, for example:

-- Best resort vid

-- Best backcountry vid

-- Best silly vid

-- Best powder vid

Your ideas? Please post them on here!

Also, we're interested to get a bit of feedback about if people on here actually intend to take any vid clips and upload them this season. Of course, not everyone has a camera, but some feedback will be interesting and will also help us in our attempts to get those prizes.

Videos from past seasons are most welcome on the site (and may well be valid for this competition), so if you already have any Japan ski/snowboard/snow/winter sports videos from before this season, please do feel free to upload them up there.

http://www.snowjapan.tv

Thank you for your help!

(In case you didn't know, even if you are a member of the Forums you will need to register a new account over at the .tv site - but it is really simple. Thanks).

I will definately be taking video - we bought ourselves a nice little HDD camera after the last J-trip (inspired by the crappy vid's we got with our camera's) - and tested it at Thredbo. AWESOME! I also bought some nice editting software so I can make movies and then turn them into proper DVD's with scene control and all... too cool! Makes me cry watching the little dudes on the snow with background musak!

Will I upload them? - maybe. Depends if I get anything that fits a catagory well.

what about:

BEST STACK

MOST RIDICULOUS CHAIRLIFT DISMOUNT (although we don't really want to encourage STAGING of this!!)

How about age catagories for some of the skill vid's.....

The Primary School kids can't really compete with the Teens, in the same way as the 20 somethings have the advantage over the 40 somethings - and hey - what about the wrinklies - a catagory for Grandma and Grandpa?

• SnowJapan Admin

Mamabear, thanks for the suggestions.

While we of course hope that a competition might encourage more people to upload videos, we would like to think that people will be uploading them anyway regardless of a competition or not. Hope so!

We hope to get lots of vids up there and for it to become a really good collection of Japan related vids... that's why we started it, we'll just have to see how it turns out!

Thanks for the feedback.

I hear ya SJ...I just don't think our family flicks are going to make brilliant viewing for you guys - we are not exactly hard core boarders...

If you wanna see 'em - I will upload 'em!

I have got clip after clip of me face planting it! Charming viewing...

• SnowJapan Admin

We would love to see them, Mamabear.

Any snow vids are most welcome and a wide range of types of videos can only be a good thing.

\:\)

Lots of people don't realise that the Forums part of this site and that community represents only a small section of the traffic and people viewing SnowJapan in general - possibly less than 10%. Not everyone is "hardcore" and as with the resort photos, reviews and other areas of the site - the more the better!

OK - you're on!

The ones I have now are all Thredbo - so I will wait until January to get some J-video's and upload those.

I will trek it to the park with the kiddies - that is always good for splat or two...

So is the chairlift when you get a skier trying out snowboarding - getting off when the brain tells you to point your feet straight ... it is hilarious!

Originally Posted By: SJForums

While we of course hope that a competition might encourage more people to upload videos, we would like to think that people will be uploading them anyway regardless of a competition or not. Hope so!

But a contest will certainly raise the bar a bit. I like the 'silly' catagory and it seems like a lot of the suggestions (like strange chairlift dismounts and nude skiers) would fall under that catagory. I tried to submit a 'silly' vid a couple of weeks ago but I think it was too long at about 67 MB. It seemed like I uplaoded the whole thing but it never appeared in SJ. The limit is 60MB, is it?
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hi ger

Thanks for the comments.

The limit was 50MB but I now have just increased it to 100MB.

\:\)

Let us know if you ever have any issues.

(A few weeks ago the site was undergoing a few changes, but it is settled now).