Are there any Onsens or Public Baths near the ski slopes that permit you to enjoy the warm water, despite bearing the mark of the Devil?

I have a full sleeve tattoo. The girlfriend has a shoulder cap tattoo. We are evil people. Are there any evil bath waters we can enjoy?

I will start with what I know. The Onsen and Public Bath at Prince Naeba Hotel do not allow tattoo guests to enjoy these facilities.

mmm interesting topic. we were wondering about this for Onsen's around Niseko. my gf has a tattoo on her shoulder which is the Chinese character for year of the dragon. I have had a japanese friend mention that this is particularly not-cool for going into an Onsen.

They did suggest putting a plaster bandage over the tatt. Does anyone have any experience with this?

- and yes, she is evil..... but that is part of why I love her. ;\)

Dont worry about it most of the time. Japanese only see tatoos as bad because it was the sign of a yakuza, a strong samurai, or a concubine.

In Osaka you still have a strong Yakuza that control the pachikos,, thye wont touch you as they dont want to effect their money streams. They use Chinese or dumb yankees (JHS loosers) to do petty thefts or etc.

That said unless you have a tatoo that says f you in kanji or something really bad you should be fine.

I don't like tattoo's, and I think that people in this forum shouldn't be allowed to post if they have them.

Oh, hang on, I have 2. Dammit.

So, why is it ok to have your dingaling flop around, yet tattoo's are no-show?, is it related to a Yakuza thing?,

Oh, well, no Onsens for me...

<-- oops, just [posted after Fattwins... aaah. Thought so...]

I have a tattoo and I've never had a problem with getting into any onsen in the Niseko area. In fact the onsen I regularly go to in Kutchan often has brightly decorated members of the Yakuza there.

Here is a bit about it.

Often in towns where there are many Yakuza there are no rules banning tatoos. Again the Proper Yakuza dont do much to draw attention to themselves, much like the mafia of New York. If you see one in the Onsen they might even chat you up.

Irezumi

To the Japanese, tattoos are the art of the Irezumi, literally meaning the ‘insertion of ink’ or more classically and elegantly ‘hori-mono’ meaning which is ‘carved’, sculpted’ or ‘engraved’. The word most commonly used is contracted to Irezumi, and it may be used either as an adjective or a noun, applied either to the tattooist, the wearer of a tattoo or to the inked design itself, indeed it may even refer to that group of people who are involved in tattoo art.

Within Japan today, there are perhaps a hundred recognised practitioners of Irezumi and perhaps 75.000 to 100.000 wearers of tattoos. In a densely populated country of 127 million people, that is a small proportion of people indeed, yet the mystery associated with the Irezumi remains, and continues to impress. So much so, that the practice of Irezumi is both a legitimate art and the mark of the Yakuza, a criminal element of Japanese society.

Yeah, I am a member of Tipness here in Osaka. They strictly forbid membership to members having tattooos. HAHAHA. I have been a member for over one year. Full japanese style sleeve. I always hide it in the shower (wrap the white towel around my left arm and let Mr. Bojangel dangel). =)

Oh, I am evil because I have a tattoo. You must live in Japan to know this!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I have a tattoo and I've never had a problem with getting into any onsen in the Niseko area. In fact the onsen I regularly go to in Kutchan often has brightly decorated members of the Yakuza there.

How large is your tattoo? I am planning to visit Kogen Niseko around Dec. 21. My tattoo looks like it could be on a Yakuza member. I am love to show it off.

So, if anyone sees a white guy struggling with snowboarding or walking around on crutches, with a full left sleeve, try yelling "Maido, Kitsune" and see if it is me.
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
 Originally Posted By: Go Native

How large is your tattoo? I am planning to visit Kogen Niseko around Dec. 21. My tattoo looks like it could be on a Yakuza member. I am love to show it off.

So, if anyone sees a white guy struggling with snowboarding or walking around on crutches, with a full left sleeve, try yelling "Maido, Kitsune" and see if it is me.

Hey Samui Kitsune, we will still be there on the 21st (we fly out on the 22nd), so we will give you a yell if we spot you, but I am wondering how we are going to spot a full sleeve under the 15 layers of snow gear usually worn when it is 10 below.... \:D