Never ski or snowboard alone. (check)

Maintain and check ski and snowboard equipment. (check)

Exercise and stretch before each day of skiing or snowboarding.(why??)

This one I can answer! Warming up the body - getting the muscles and thier attachments moving prevents injury early on. You might get enough warming up walking from your car to the slopes, or from your hotel room to the slopes - but this old overweight and unfit chook doesnt! I stretched out at night before bed and also every morning before getting geared up on the last trip, and the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) that I experienced the first time around was no where near as bad!!

Stay on marked trails. (F'that!)

This WILL be me.

Ski and snowboard responsibly. (check)

Be alert to physical and environmental hazards. (check)

Wear the appropriate gear, including helmets. (check)

Ski and snowboard on hills that are within your ability and ski level. (never)

hmmm... if you never stepped up - then you would never get any better right? There is always the time when you are learning (and I am sure beyond) that you get off the lift and say a quiet "F@#k" when you see what lays before you... you tackle it heart in mouth and then decide if you are ready to try it again, or if you are going BACK to the baby slopes!! LOL But yes - 2 days on a board/ski's does not give you licence to tackle a double diamond black run full of chopped up moguls!

Quit before becoming too tired. (tired?)

TIRED.... or do they mean clinically exhausted and needing medical attention... Heck - tired - I would get ONE run in!! Where is the fun in that? I want to come home feeling absolutely and utterly WIPED!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

Never ski or snowboard alone. (check)
Maintain and check ski and snowboard equipment. (check)
Exercise and stretch before each day of skiing or snowboarding.(why??)
Stay on marked trails. (F'that!)
Ski and snowboard responsibly. (check)
Be alert to physical and environmental hazards. (check)
Wear the appropriate gear, including helmets. (check)
Ski and snowboard on hills that are within your ability and ski level. (never)
Quit before becoming too tired. (tired?)

Avoid deep water hazards (check)

When I am in a car I always wear a seat belt, I go Mtn biking I always wear a helmet and when I hit the snow I wear a helmet.

The old chestnut of wear or not wear a helmet has had some heated debates in this forum. We all have opinions and each side is convinced it is right. Make up your own mind based your general attitude to your own personal safety.
To me it its a no brainer - excuse the pun.

Yeah, Ive had friends who've been killed riding bikes (training for Tri's). My father was in a bad bike accident just a month before the Ironman, broke so many bones and ribs, and destroyed his helmet. He still has the helmet...Any sports like that, Im with you SG, always wear a helmet. Its everybody else you have to be careful of....Deep Frozen Creeks included blush.gif whistle.gif

Helmets are seen more and more on the hills. Ripping say 40 to 50 kms in the trees and you tumble. You head bonks a tree just glancing say that helmet will save you from injury or death.

then you have the jumping back slap crash. The kind of hit you see guys get in say rugby. its violent but it is only at 20kms max with extra force yes. the same hit on boards will be 50 to 70kms off of a jump. The landing could be rock hard id rather have a helmet.

No helmet is going to save you from a full on crazy crash but id rather have one for everything inbetween.

I'm not big on wearing helmets as it limits my hearing and gives me a false sense of invincebility (resulting in doing stupid things and me ending up with injuries). Still I have helmets that I all use from time to time.

FT is absolutely right that wearing a helmet is usually safer than not wearing one. But when you decide to buy a helmet better to pay a little extra for a good helmet. Fit is important but don't underestimate padding. In general weight tells you something about how 'strong' a helmet is. Bieffier is better!

But besides wearing a helmet does any of you wear a mouth guard?

Never evenm thought about a mouth guard - maybe because we are piste runners - not BC or Park enthusiasts (well...the older boys like the park maybe I should make them wear a mouth guard...)

We make the kids wear mouth guards for Rugby but I never really thought of snow sports as "contact" sports - at least not in the people on people contact way ... I know all about the a$$ to ground way!

I'm also gonna be purchasing a bonce-bin soon. Went to Xebio and checked out the Giro (sorry cant remember the model) and it fit perfectly but the padding was almost non-existant. After that I tried on some others, a Swans and something else but none of them came near the comfort of the Giro. The Giro was light as hell, but surely they could have put some more padding in there! Does anyone know which Giro I'm on about and whether or not its decent? for 16,000 yen it better be!

The thing I dislike most about winter sports is cold and my face seems to get totally iced up so quickly. Sometimes I feel my nose will fall off. I am often totally covered because of this. (And of course me being a celeb if anyone saw me there'd be goss!)

Originally Posted By: warhawk
I'm also gonna be purchasing a bonce-bin soon. Went to Xebio and checked out the Giro (sorry cant remember the model) and it fit perfectly but the padding was almost non-existant. After that I tried on some others, a Swans and something else but none of them came near the comfort of the Giro. The Giro was light as hell, but surely they could have put some more padding in there! Does anyone know which Giro I'm on about and whether or not its decent? for 16,000 yen it better be!

hey, check out the Burton Red helmets. they're super light, have padding and are cheaper than 16000...I think
 Originally Posted By: Kumapix

hey, check out the Burton Red helmets. they're super light, have padding and are cheaper than 16000...I think

Anymore Burton gear and I should be looking at sponsorship! (if i wasn't a fat git) I'll check them out tho. cheers for the infos! thumbsup.gif