• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I voted yes that I would.

I had next to nothing when I got married but now I am in a better position and I did it all by myself.

Though I wouldn't (and didn't) just marry anyone, with the divorce rate as high as it is I see it as just protecting your investment.

I have stop losses on my stocks to prevent me from making any big losses if something bad happens in the markets, so why shouldn't I do that for all my investments in my marriage goes bad?

I think the issue is not that you think it might go wrong, but just that there is a logical possibility of it happening so you prepare for that. I think people find it difficult to seperate emotion from logic on this issue.

Myself I didnt get a pre-nup, mainly cos of the hassle and I didnt want to start off a marriage in that way. However, if I was very rich I would probably have considered it more carefully and I think theres nothign wrong with pre-nups per se.

Another interesting thing is why the government even allows pre-nups to exist. How can they on one hand always give out say 50% to the wife in a divorce, and on the other hand just say 'oh ok then' if they signed a pre-nup.

no prenup, and it didn't even cross my mind. But I don't have anything to lose either.

As far as me working hard for more success in life and (hopefully) accomplishing that success... well, I'm doing that for her and to prepare a secure future for the family we dream about.

If I wasn't married, I'd still be smoking chron and skiing 150 days a year and I wouldn't have the drive to succeed financially that I currently do.

She made me wanna be a man, and if I do succeed in life, it's because of her. I'll never forget that.

Well, it's because of her I got married. And we have a family now because of her. And if she wanted to leave and take the boy, I would not contest it cos it was almost all hers. And she has more moeny than me, so no loss here either.

'cept to say if she did that, I'd go to Vegas and do a Nicholas Cage.

Originally Posted By: Ewok 2
no sausage dog, no sexy pose for bpg.
i want her image to be clean, simple, and falalalala.... blush.gif

lol.gif Thanks Ewok. No need to worry about that! Those pictures aren't getting anywhere near SJ ;\)
 Originally Posted By: samurai
If I wasn't married, I'd still be smoking chron and skiing 150 days a year and I wouldn't have the drive to succeed financially that I currently do.
She made me wanna be a man, and if I do succeed in life, it's because of her. I'll never forget that.

So being a man means being successful financially? Interesting...

When I was younger I had a bit of drive to make lots of money but now I couldn't care less, hence I live and work in Niseko. For me it's all about quality of life and although I earn less here than I ever did in Australia (even straight out of uni nearly 15 years ago) I've never been happier and enjoying life more. Luckily my wife thinks the same.
 Originally Posted By: Go Native

So being a man means being successful financially? Interesting...

Not necessarily. And- I don't want to get into a debate.

I was just referring to the financial success required for securing a future for a family vs being a ski bum.
If I wasn't married, I'd still be smoking chron and skiing 150 days a year.

is it just me, or does this sound pretty idyllic to anyone else on here?
i would like to think i could somehow combine the two

yeah yeah, i hear that.

i couldn't imagine signing a prenup, but that's because i have zero assets and i'm a hopeless romantic.

i couldn't imagine forecasting disaster. but yeah, if one party is much more well off, i can see how a prenup may become more relevant.

it's hard seperating logic from emotion

"You make me wanna be a better person."

who said it? which movie?

Couldn't that be taken as:

I look at you, and you're an idiot.
I Don't want to be like you, so I'll better myself, so others don't also think I'm an idiot.

lol.gif
"You make me wanna be a better person."

who said it? which movie?

Jack Nicholson said it to Helen Hunt in "As Good as it Get's" He was playing an Obsesive Compulsive who fell for her - and she made him want to be a better person, he started taking his meds for her. Awww!

No we had not pre-nup.

We also had no assets. neither of us. We were young and in love.

The fabulous thing is that here we are 18 years later, still happily married, living a great life with considerably more assets than we began the journey with - and NO_ONE could ever accuse us of being after one another for anything other than love. COZ that is ALL we had 18 years ago!!

Pre-nups are a good way to protect family assets though. Say for example we bequeathed our assets to our 4 son's, and one of them married a complete gold digger who divorced him after 6 months and went after the home that WE worked hard for...that is wrong. Proceeds of the marriage SURE, fair support - as in supporting your child, or making sure your partner is not out on the streets - sure ... but profiteering from schemed marriages - umm no - that is where the pre-nup comes into it's own.

mamabear - but if you have the sense to see that a pre-nup is needed, then surely you have the sense to not marry that golddigger. I guess this really gets the point of why some people see pre-nups as silly.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Pre-nups are a good way to protect family assets though. Say for example we bequeathed our assets to our 4 son's, and one of them married a complete gold digger who divorced him after 6 months and went after the home that WE worked hard for...that is wrong. Proceeds of the marriage SURE, fair support - as in supporting your child, or making sure your partner is not out on the streets - sure ... but profiteering from schemed marriages - umm no - that is where the pre-nup comes into it's own.

Ditto above.

Bobby, you never know. And even if you did, when is a child going to listen anyway!