• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooo, you sound so big and authorative, shiver. "You have to convince me!" Like yeah right.

From what I can see such forward thinking and so many things going on to improve service etc seems rather lacking with the Japanese resorts. Good luck to them.

yes, it's absolutely in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. The best chance in Japan to have a truly 5 star hotel and service in the best powder anywhere. I hope they have the funding to reach the end state.

Imagine Aspen like facilities right there in Niseko, instead of slumming it in the 3-stars at Hirafu.

Best powder in Japan as rated by the Japanese is Shiga Kogen.

I would guess by the writing style that the person that wrote this might be the old Luke Hurford? With the money the hiltons have I think the hotel can be changed easy enough.

Originally Posted By: ger
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Best powder in Japan as rated by the Japanese is Shiga Kogen.

Maybe that should be qualified a bit.

ger, fair enough, but FT is right about that. The 7 or 8 years I've been reading them, Shiga almost always ranks #1 above Niseko with places like Asahidake, Niseko, Hakkoda, Noz, Happo, Zao getting ranked according to the year and responses.
I've never been to Shiga but I don't like reader poles. The masses are ignorant. Certainly the Japanese masses are ignorant when it comes to powder.

really? you think there arent any hardcore riders in Japan? That sounds a big ignorant to me mate :confused:

Maybe my view is a bit different, since I learned to read Japanese Ive been reading the ski mags and there's always been a hardcore scene here in Japan. The "masses" to me sounds more like the up and coming people who are starting to ride powder - that make sense? In general, those mags target BC riders and powder hounds so dunno how the "masses" can be wrong...? ...especially since the results dont change so much.

I was ballz deep at Shiga 2 years ago, damn that was epic! One of my best powder trips ever I kept bombing FT and BP mails about how sick it was cool.gif

I've only met small handfulls of people who like powder, mainly at places like Niseko. I'm sure there's a healthy extreme culture in Hakuba, but when I hear about places like Cortina, systematically preventing people from enjoying the snow as a business strategy, I really wonder what's wrong. Of course, it's nice to be able to find good snow by heading just a bit off-piste.

.....but I can't exactly say that I've got a hand on the pulse of snow culture in Japan, living on Shikoku! I think there are only two people on the entire island who like powder: Me and Akira, the kayaker.

Without doubt though Creek the vast bulk of Japanese skiers/boarders out there prefer skiing on piste more than off. That's why Rusutsu for instance is such a great place to go because there are few foreign skiers (compared to Niseko) and hardly any of the Japanese skiers go off piste leaving fresh tracks everywhere. Not sure if it's much different down there on the mainland...

Image%20URL%3A%20

Now there is a J guy flying down one of the craziest lines Japan offers up. The fact that there are almost no first decents left in Japan should wake people up really.

I saw an old farts tracks come down tsurugizawas main face and found out the next day that he did it on 200 cm skis and in a rugby shirt. You fall there you die there. Dont knock the J riders cause they can rip!

I cant figure out this new linking thing

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/snow-japan-photo-galleries/dizzy/dizzy_44.jpg

I've only met small handfulls of people who like powder, mainly at places like Niseko.

As my previous trip to Niseko was in April (2007) - I can't say I really got to see any powder...fresh snow, yes - lots, no...but it was certainly softer than anything I have seen since..

....I am excited to be hitting Niseko in premium powder time - mid-january 2008, I will let you know if it is "MY THING" or not...

...but however it turns out - it has gotta be better than the ICE days at Thredbo. Man they hurt! ;\)
  • SnowJapan Admin

Fattwins, if you are referring to showing photos on here:

Only 1 thing has changed. That one thing is how to get the URL of a photo.

Before:

Right click on a photo to see the full URL of a photo.

Now:

Click the "View URL" text link that is shown below a photo. The URL will be shown which you can copy.

The actual URL of all the photos on here have not changed.

If you want to put a photo on the forums, you do it in exactly the same way as before:

ie.

URL of photo here

Thanks

Good luck Niseko Higashiyama people.

Provide great services and then don't undersell yourselves. It doesn't matter what anyone else charges if you do the former. That's would be my 2 yen.