1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

...which area of the mountain is most popular?

Always hear about Hirafu but not as much about Higashiyama and Annupuri. I have read the reviews and stuff and seen maps but wondered if any of the forum people could come up with further comments

Cheers

even when I stayed at Higashiyama, I went over to Hirafu after the first day cos Hirafu was so much bigger, better, more food, more drinks, more, more, more.

Don't go thinking there would be fewer people at Higashiyama, it's often packed with school kids.

I was really surprised to see the huge number of skis plonked on the net next to the gondola there. Seemed like hundreds, and the queue for the gondola was quite horrific, though the kids let other people who arrive on first.

Hm, I won't even ask about ploughing school girls.

Sounds like Niseko is a big place. I can't vote because I haven't been, but I'm off there soon. Not to hijack the vote but to ask a related question - can anyone tell me anything about how to get by for cheap there on an uber-chichai budget? I hope it wouldn't involve missing out on the drinks in Hirafu but I have a suspicion that more means expensive-er, and that therefore the apparently limited Higashiyama is cheaper... sigh. That's where I'll be living regardless. Although I'm sure it's pretty nice anyway.

(Oh no! My lack of 3000+ posts means that I am now suffering a minor crisis of inadequacy... I have to go and drink things to calm down now.)

Thanks! Well 600 yen versus Tokyo prices, there's not so much difference. And compared to England not too painful either... I guess I'm just immune to drinks extortion. (although, does a small one mean some new Japanese measure made extra-small, like, half a shot? Because that would be so sad.)

I could totally live with that. I'm foreign, but sadly not of the upmarket variety =)

If I wanted to live in the most Japanese part of town then - the most Japanese living zone, I mean - does this all mean that Hirafu is Not The Best Bet? Foreign bars aren't a priority; I think opportunities to hang out with Japanese people are more important. It sounds like Hirafu's more alive, but then, more alive naturally has the implication of more expensive, when it comes to longterm accommodation. Does anyone know what Kutchan's like? or the village of Niseko?

I live down in Kutchan and love it. It's great to do a days work and then retreat to the relative quietude of K town. Kutchan also has some great restaurants and bars and is a much more Japanese experience than Hirafu. Many more long term staff are now living in Kutchan so there is a small foreign presence. Kutchan is not really that cheap rental being around the same price as in Sapporo but it is cheaper than staying in Hirafu, especially if you share. How long are planning on staying here lucy? Are you going to be working?

Yes, GoNative, I'm going to be working for the season, but I need to be in the area of the Higashiyama hotel and Kutchan's a little way from there, apparently. Even though it sounds lovely. I wonder where an advertisement for a shared room would need to be placed? Is there anything residential around that area? What do workers usually do?

I am the same person as that lucy up there, but actually I realised that my name was this instead. Crazy.

They have pole dancing in Higashiyama? That will be an exciting new part of the brochure. I knew that they had a horseriding place but wasn't aware that the apres-ski was so varied.

Ah damn now I'm back to 1 post. And I was doing so well.

• 2 weeks later...

higashyama has some sick line if you dont notice some ropes...the main issue i have though is that everytime i go up the prince gondola i cry, weep, bash my head against the pole, because i look at all the terrain under the gondala that cant be accessed (legally) it makes me so sad not to be able to lay some sweet lines down there...does anyone else feel my pain out there???

Higashiyama are seriously considering opening the closed terrain for next winter (2008/09) based on control work and the 'behaviour & understanding' of people playing in Higashiyama this coming season.

If the terrain does become available, then I would like to see a system similar to the regulations for the Delirium Dive area at Sunshine, Alberta, Canada put in place.

Can only be accessed through a control gate that opens when it gets the signal that you're wearing a beacon. In addition you must have a shovel & probe and at least one other person skiing/riding with you.

There is tremendous terrain - steep & technical - in the closed areas of Higashiyama and the 'Forbidden Zone' between Higashiyama and Grand Hirafu.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Higashiyama are seriously considering opening the closed terrain for next winter (2008/09) based on control work and the 'behaviour & understanding' of people playing in Higashiyama this coming season.

If the terrain does become available, then I would like to see a system similar to the regulations for the Delirium Dive area at Sunshine, Alberta, Canada put in place.

Can only be accessed through a control gate that opens when it gets the signal that you're wearing a beacon. In addition you must have a shovel & probe and at least one other person skiing/riding with you.

There is tremendous terrain - steep & technical - in the closed areas of Higashiyama and the 'Forbidden Zone' between Higashiyama and Grand Hirafu.

thats been talked bout for years now...Maybe with foreign management things will progress faster? I also expect all the punters going there will wish for a new lift directly to the peak cuz they cant hack the 25 minute hike :rolleyes:

I hope it goes through. And also hope that people realize that ducking the rope there will only hinder the cause, not further it.